LighthouseKeepers.com

Messina, Sicily

Posted By: Lorie Roe

Messina, Sicily - 07/11/04 10:13 PM

I just returned home after spending 17 days in Spain, France, Italy, and Greece. I was hoping to see lots of lighthouses but was only able to see one. However, this trip wasn't based on seeing lighthouses so I guess one is better than none. smile

This lighthouse is the San Raineri Lighthouse in Messina, Sicily. It was built in 1857 and the tower is 42 meters high. It is located in the middle of a spit in the harbor of Messina. It separates Sicily from the lower boot of Italy. It is so narrow in this strait that all ships have to use a pilot boat to get through this area. It has a fourth-order fixed optic lens.

Posted By: eskilady

Re: Messina, Sicily - 07/11/04 11:48 PM

Lorie -

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures!! I especially liked the scenery in the background! I would love to go there and see the scenery myself but having someone share pictures is almost as good! laugh

Eskilady
Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Re: Messina, Sicily - 07/12/04 12:07 AM

Lorie,

Nice photos! That's an interesting lighthouse. I'm glad you got to see one! When I was in Europe for 3+ months in the 80's, I wasn't into lighthouses. So, it's always exciting to see European lighthouses.

I hope you enjoyed your trip!

Tammy
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Messina, Sicily - 07/12/04 03:20 AM

Nice pictures, Lorie! Sounds like a fun trip!

Is that a second lighthouse at the lower-right of the last photo, the orange tower? It looks like one. May be faux, though.
Posted By: mombo

Re: Messina, Sicily - 07/12/04 04:21 AM

Beautiful Lorie! Hope the rest of your trip was as great as these photos! smile
Posted By: WisKeeper

Re: Messina, Sicily - 07/12/04 05:37 AM

Wow Lorie! What a unique lighthouse and beautiful scenery! Great photos! Thanks!
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Messina, Sicily - 07/12/04 03:48 PM

Greg...I don't think the small orange tower was anything more than a light. There were the red and green channel marking lights but they were taller than the orange light.

Thanks for all the nice comments. The trip was fabulous. We had perfect weather in the high 70's to low 80's.
Posted By: RFoster

Re: Messina, Sicily - 07/15/04 03:49 AM

Lorie, thank you for sharing more of your beautiful images. THE LIGHTHOUSE IS A VERY UNIQUE STRUCTURE.

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Posted By: Elmer

Re: Messina, Sicily - 07/16/04 02:05 PM

Hi Lorie,

You and John really do get around. Very nice photos and undoubtedly a great trip. Some day ..........

Dan
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Messina, Sicily - 07/16/04 06:33 PM

Dan, you and Carol also seem to get in a bit of traveling.

Thanks for sharing the pics, Lorie. Very interesting light.
© 2024 Collector Forums