LighthouseKeepers.com

Blustery Day at South Haven - 2

Posted By: Anonymous

Blustery Day at South Haven - 2 - 03/27/02 05:47 AM

I was out at the lake last Saturday: the SW Michigan weather forecast was 15-25 mph winds form the SW, high in the low 30s and clear! Translation: a great day for photography.

Sorry you missed this one, Bud!

More coming soon....

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-27-2002).]

Re: Blustery Day at South Haven - 2 - 03/27/02 06:46 AM

Here are a couple more. The first shot was taken at 700 mm from nearly 1/2 mile away and amazingly, even to me, you can still see individual water droplets or globs!

The second photo below was taken using a 500 mm lens from the beach...

The people standing out on the pier give you a pretty good sense of scale. Right now, from the lake level to the top it's about 45 feet.

Re: Blustery Day at South Haven - 2 - 03/27/02 03:41 PM

Gary, I noticed that all three of the above images looked pixelated, so I open the picture separately to look at the page info and saw that the picture with the person in it was 400 x 278 pixels but your html with the image link is directed to have it sized at a larger size (455 x 654). I don't know if your image host is reducing your original picture to save space, or if it was your intent to enlarge the image but I think it takes away from the true beauty of the picture.

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 03-27-2002).]

Re: Blustery Day at South Haven - 2 - 03/27/02 08:44 PM

Mark, you're right on all counts!

I'm using webphotos and they're compressing to save space to a maximum of 400 pixels in any dimension. Actually, the image as uploaded was in excess of 800 pixels and I coded to increase the size back to 75% of the original, but was also of the opinion that I lost something in the process. Probably the best thing to do is to just tolerate the 400 pixel max dimension until I can find a host that will let me use larger files. I'd like to be able to upload at a width of about 600 pixels uncompressed. If you know of a host that will allow larger files, I'd appreciate knowing about it. I occasionally link images to my gallery on www.shuttercity.com which will allow uploads to any width, but none of these are in those galleries as yet. Shuttercity is a photo critique oriented photographic website and for space reasons, you're only allowed to upload 3 images/week. That's in contrast to the probably 200+ images that I've got sitting out on the net at webphotos.com.

I appreciate the feedback, Mark, and went in a resized the above photos to the size as stored on webphotos. Hope that helps!

Re: Blustery Day at South Haven - 2 - 03/28/02 01:42 AM

I tried dotphoto.com a while back, they are a free host site that you can use for gallerys and you could set up to sell your pictures thru them (you set your own prices) and they take a cut. But anyway they did the same thing, reducing images that were over a certain size, so I have been using my aloted web space at AOL ever since (and still looking for a better image hosting site too).
Posted By: Bud Schrader

Re: Blustery Day at South Haven - 2 - 03/28/02 06:03 AM

OK Gary, I don't see any pictures. Are you sure they are there? I went to Shuttercity, they say I have to upload at150KB, my computer says I have 262K on disc. Am I stuck? I don't know any way to downsize. Any suggestions?
Posted By: 1of3trees@prodigy.net

Re: Blustery Day at South Haven - 2 - 03/29/02 02:55 AM

I don't see any photos here either, Gary. Maybe something to do with webphotos maintenance work?

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Re: Blustery Day at South Haven - 2 - 03/29/02 03:54 AM

I just checked webphotos... they're still doing server upgrades and don't anticipate being back on line until late tonight or tomorrow.

Gary
© 2024 Collector Forums