LighthouseKeepers.com

Paint Me, Please!!!

Posted By: WackoPaul

Paint Me, Please!!! - 07/28/09 02:14 AM

Started off the day shooting some flowers before heading to Assateague Lighthouse..

For Mombo!

They have Murtle along the roads in this part of Virginia..

When we got to Assateague Lighthouse, boy was I disappointed.

It really needs a coat of paint!!

The buildings were in need of painting, also..

Re: Paint Me, Please!!! - 07/28/09 02:16 AM

Did I say a coat of paint, it needs several coats of paint!

Over the Bay Bridge hours later..

We stopped at the State Park on the other side and got some Sandy Point Shoal Light shots..

Then we drove down to the Calvert Marine Museum and got a few images of Drum Point Light before the museum closed..

We made it at 4:40PM and they close at 5:00PM..

Sue hit the gift shop while I shot the light..
Posted By: Mystery Guest

Re: Paint Me, Please!!! - 07/28/09 03:33 AM

About 2 years ago a friend showed me some pictures of the Assateague Light Station taken then and the buildings were in the same state of needing paint badly. It appears the tower entrance door is open, were you able to go inside and/or climb the tower?

After writing the above, I remembered my friend saying at that time that a group was working on a project to restore the light but he didn't know the status of the project. On a whim, I did a Google search to see if I could find some information, and did I ever. Below is a link to a July 9, 2009, Chincoteague Beacon article on the beginning of a $1,500,000 restoration project. Seems they need to raise a lot more money.

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20090709/CB01/90709002/1052/CB

The following from the end of the article might be of interest to those near enough to visit sometime this summer.

"Later this month, depending on construction, the lighthouse will be open Thursday through Monday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., for the remainder of the summer. Visitors should arrive by 2:30 p.m. if they want to climb to the top. Call 757-336-3696 to determine availability.

Adults pay $4 to climb, children under 12 pay $2. All entrance fees go toward restoration efforts."

enjoy, mg

Re: Paint Me, Please!!! - 07/28/09 04:10 AM

It was open to climb, but we didn't climb this time. This was our 4th trip to Assateague and it has gotten in worse shape every time.. I got some images in 1998 and it looked pretty good.. The tower is one thing but there is no excuse for the building looking that bad.

When we stopped by with the buses of folks after the Baltimore Reunion I thought they were painting it then..
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Paint Me, Please!!! - 07/28/09 04:24 AM

Wow...it looks REALLY bad. To compare, here's a picture I took of it back in 2000.

Re: Paint Me, Please!!! - 07/28/09 04:28 AM

My point, thanks Greg, I have some images from back then when it looked great..
Posted By: wvlights0

Re: Paint Me, Please!!! - 07/28/09 02:26 PM

In August 2008, when my sister and I were there, the gallery was enclosed in black construction cloth. The volunteers said it was under repair, that pieces had been falling off. In your pictures Paul, that part looks like its in good repair now.
© 2024 Collector Forums