LighthouseKeepers.com

Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter

Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter - 04/28/05 05:05 PM

Taken on Saturday, 4/16/05. This light sits in the same state park as North Head, just a couple miles down the coast. Both lights were important functions at the mouth of the mightly Columbia River where it meets the Pacific Ocean. All of the below images were taken from the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center. You can hike 3/4 of a mile to the lighthouse itself; which I would have done, had I not had Mary with me and short on time. As I walked up the hill to the LCIC, we got caught in a downpour and had to run for cover until the rain passed. What resulted was some very dramatic lighting against a black sky.

As the sun came out and lit the front of the tower...

Some passing waterfowl...

And a closeup.

Re: Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter - 04/28/05 05:08 PM

In similarity to Holland, this light also has an alternating red and white signature.

Red flash...

And white.

Here comes the freighter...

Re: Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter - 04/28/05 05:13 PM

And as the storm clears, the sky gets pretty and the sun returns.

Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter - 04/28/05 06:58 PM

Just Beautiful, Jen. Beautiful. Sigh.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter - 04/28/05 06:58 PM

Once again, Jen, nice pics! Isn't it great when the clouds cooperate.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter - 04/28/05 07:11 PM

As usual, Jen.

Beautiful photos. Too bad you didn't have time to make the treck to the lighthouse itself.

bobo
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter - 04/28/05 08:52 PM

Excellent! I especially like the 4th one in the second post...the reedy things really make them unique. One thing I've learned about taking pictures of lighthouses - twiggy plants always enhance a photo.

I'd have to say that none of these photos were...dissapointing! laugh :rolleyes: (Sorry, just had to say that.)
Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Re: Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter - 04/29/05 02:41 AM

Jen, Love the photos...as always. The lighting in the first photos is great. I love the cloud formations in the last photos, and I like the photos that show the crashing waves. (The clouds seldom cooperate for me!) It would be hard to chose a favorite.

Seems like it was a bit of a hike to get to this light. Since Mary was with you and you're pregnant, it probably wouldn't have been worth it... My photos taken right at the light are rather boring, though I'm sure you would have found a way to make yours interesting as you always do.
Posted By: LtHousLady

Re: Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter - 04/29/05 05:40 AM

Great shots Jen. Even though it doesn't have the freighter, I like the 1st photo in the 3rd post. The landsape orientation just works beautifully with the leading lines of the clouds, water & cliff edge...especially with the capture of those ever ellusive POOFY CLOUDS smile The golden color of the reeds in the sun also spice it up nicely & add depth.
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Cape Disappointment, Washington, passing storm, and freighter - 04/29/05 12:54 PM

Great pictures Jen from the storm clouds in the first to sunshine in the last. They're great!

Bert smile
© 2024 Collector Forums