LighthouseKeepers.com

Scottish Lighthouses

Posted By: AZpharologist

Scottish Lighthouses - 09/05/07 05:03 PM

Through central Scotland runs a canal called the Caledonion canal, it is a combination of canal and lochs. The notable loch is Loch Ness. This water way has several lighthouse along it's course. Below are two of these lights.

Corpach Light is at the south end of canal system

Next is Fort Augustus Light were canal meets Loch Ness.

Canal system northern terminus is Inverness.

On North shore of Scotland to Buckie Breakwater.

East on to Fraserburgh for Kinnaird Head Lights.
These lights are behind the Scottish Lighthouse Museum. More to Come on this topic later.

Several weeks later back to western Scotland and the Mull of Galloway Light.

Final outside Glasgow on the Firth of Clyde is the Cloch Point Light.

This the last of the major light we visited in our drive around the UK. Art smile
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Scottish Lighthouses - 09/06/07 05:59 AM

Thanks for sharing all your pictures Art. I was at the Cloch Lighthouse twice in 2005. I took a free tour from the ship terminal in Greenock (near Glasgow). I was on a cruise with my mom and 2 sisters in June 2005 and I told the tour guide I would be back in 3 weeks on another cruise with John and my friends. I think the man thought I was kidding until I came back and visited him in July. I saw it on land and also had a nice view of the lighthouse from the water when we left port.
Posted By: wheland

Re: Scottish Lighthouses - 09/06/07 12:39 PM

Art,

Thanks for the tour of the UK- well except for Northern Ireland. Your photos are just great.

Esther and I took a cruise similar to Lorie in 2006. We also got to see the cloch lighthouse from the ship and on land. We had a bold taxi driver, though. he saw that the outer door was open and walked up and asked if we could take a look inside and the lady graciously let us in and gave us a tour of the grounds and the Keeper's house.

She apologized for not being able to let us into the tower, though. The owner of the lantern (the Port of Glasgow I believe) had just recently taken the key away due to insurance concerns. It was a great tour anyway.

Dennis
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Scottish Lighthouses - 09/06/07 06:12 PM

Great UK tour Art, you found some very unique lighthouses. Thanks for sharing your trip.
Bob
Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Re: Scottish Lighthouses - 09/07/07 02:46 AM

Those last two lighthouses are very unique. I would love to visit them some day.
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Scottish Lighthouses - 09/07/07 03:33 PM

Very intersting and unique lights. Thanks for sharing the tour with us!
Posted By: mombo

Re: Scottish Lighthouses - 09/08/07 03:22 AM

Enjoyed looking at all your photos Art. Those views of Beachy Head and South Stack are especially fine! smile
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Scottish Lighthouses - 09/08/07 03:01 PM

Art, Thanks for posting all the pics from your UK lighthousing trip.

I enjoyed all of them !!!
© 2024 Collector Forums