LighthouseKeepers.com

Ludington Sunsets

Posted By: Gary Martin

Ludington Sunsets - 07/30/02 03:43 AM

Fall and early spring give some of the most spectacular sunrise and sunset colors on the Great Lakes, at least in my experience. Coming back from Door County last October, I came across the lake on the afternoon car ferry, which got into Ludington just about sunset. I got my van, drove around to the boat launch parking lot and set up my tripod and shot a full roll of Velvia of the sunset that night, which was truly spectacular! Here are a couple of the photos from that session.

The first shot above was taken when the sun was already below the horizon for probably about 10 minutes. Another 10 or 15 min later, this second shot was taken. The colors are more subtle and the exposure was longer, probably in the 60-90 sec range. If anyone is really curious, e-mail me and I'll get the exact exposure and aperature settings for you from the camera download.

Hope you enjoy these.

Gary
Posted By: RezmanDale

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 07/30/02 05:20 AM

Amazing eek

I continue to be amazed at the great gift you have Gary. I was in Ludington on September 11th. If I can figure out how to do it I will post some of my pictures. Great shots and fabulous color!!

Dale cool
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 07/30/02 05:26 AM

Gary, I'm constantly amazed and jealous of the pictures you take.

It's like an alien world. Are you from here?

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 07/31/02 01:59 AM

Alien, John? Who, me? From here? Nahhhh I'm from plant Fuji!

Gary
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 07/31/02 02:06 AM

Gary, great pictures as usual. I sure wish I had the ability to get my sunsets to cooperate as well as yours seem to do. What fantastic colors. Thanks for sharing!

Bert wink
Posted By: Nana

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 08/01/02 12:34 AM

Gotta tell you friend, you and God make a great team!
Derith
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 08/01/02 01:04 AM

OK, Gary...

When are we gonna see the BOOK?

Put me down for a dozen.
Posted By: pierhead

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 08/01/02 01:51 AM

It's good to know that I'm not the only one sitting here and asking myself, "How in the @#$! does he do that?". Like I said before, I always thought I had some really good pictures - until I saw some of Gary's. Oh yeah, Great Pictures Gary, keep'em coming!
Posted By: Bud Schrader

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 08/01/02 03:05 AM

Great shots, Gary- I haven't shot Velvia yet, but it's on the to-do list as soon as my camera gets out of the shop!
Posted By: Bud Schrader

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 08/01/02 03:07 AM

Great shots Gary! I haven't shot any Velvia yet, but as soon as I get my camera out of the shop----
Posted By: Larry

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 08/01/02 03:23 AM

I keep talking about taking a class at the local Community College....my wife just tells me, "You'll never be as good as that guy on the forums."

Thanks, Hon. I think I already knew that!

Once again, Gary, OUTSTANDING !

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 08/01/02 03:30 AM

My humble thanks, all. I enjoy being able to share what I enjoy photographing most here... lighthosues! I'm glad you all are enjoying them. Larry, my apologies... I hope your wife doesn't beat you up on the photography too badly. Tell her it's not fair to draw comparisons until YOU have the same camera gear that I do.

Gary
Posted By: Handyman

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 08/01/02 04:11 PM

Don't feel too bad, Bud- I shoot Velvia, but I don't have many shots that look like that! wink
Posted By: 2beacons

Re: Ludington Sunsets - 08/02/02 12:41 AM

Gary,

Outstanding photos!!!!!!

Yes, the film may help and so may the camera and lens, but you still have to have that special eye to get the pictures you do.

Keep it up!!!!!

Mary and Jeff
© 2024 Collector Forums