LighthouseKeepers.com

Scenes from Istanbul

Posted By: Lorie Roe

Scenes from Istanbul - 10/27/06 03:41 AM

John and I were in Turkey, Egypt, and Greece for 16 days in Sept. I thought I would share a few pictures if I don't bore anyone too bad.

Our first 4 days were in Turkey. This is a lighthouse called the Maiden's Tower. It is located in the Bosphorus Strait that separates Europe and Asia. Istanbul is the only city in the world that is located on two continents. There has been some sort of lighthouse built on this site since 700BC. The current tower was built in 1719. This lighthouse was famous for being in the James Bond movie "World Is Not Enough".

This is the Ahirkapi Lighthouse located on the Europe (west) side of Istanbul harbor. It was built in 1857 and is 89 feet tall.

This picture was taken when our ship left Istanbul for Izmir, Turkey. The Hagia Sophia is on the hill behind the Ahirkapi lighthouse.

We toured through the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. The first picture is of the Hagia Sophia and the next picture is the fountains with the Blue Mosque.

Posted By: fra02441

Re: Scenes from Istanbul - 10/27/06 02:08 PM

I wish I was there. Great pictures. You cant bore us Never ever. wink laugh
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: Scenes from Istanbul - 10/27/06 03:57 PM

More PLEASE ... this can never be boring!

Quote:
The current tower was built in 1719. This lighthouse was famous for being in the James Bond movie "World Is Not Enough".
If I am not mistaken, the tower is called "The Maidens Tower" or "Kizkulesi" ( wikepedia page )
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Scenes from Istanbul - 10/27/06 04:12 PM

You are right Margret. A third name for this tower is also Leander's Tower.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: Scenes from Istanbul - 10/28/06 04:10 AM

The picture with the fountain is cool. I also like the lighthouse in the foreground and the mosque in the background picture.
Posted By: Bill and Judy

Re: Scenes from Istanbul - 10/28/06 05:23 AM

Fabulous!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful pics, Lorie.
Judy
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Scenes from Istanbul - 10/28/06 01:16 PM

Extremely interesting pics, Lorie! Thank you for taking us along on your photographic adventures. Those are things I never knew existed.

smile Bob smile
© 2024 Collector Forums