LighthouseKeepers.com

1000 places to see....

Posted By: Lorie Roe

1000 places to see.... - 04/20/08 07:36 PM

Last Sunday, John and I and my sister and brother-in-law took a drive from St. George, UT to Toroweap at the Grand Canyon. Toroweap is considered to have the most spectacular views of the Grand Canyon and the Colorado River... if you can get there. It takes about 2.5 hours to drive 90 miles on a dirt road from St. George. It was a beautiful, clear day around 75 degrees.

These first two pictures are of the horizon of the Grand Canyon and looking down on the Colorado River. The river is about 3,000 feet below the ridge.

The next two pictures are of John & I, and my sister Vickie and brother-in-law Detlef looking down at Lava Falls. It doesn't look like much from where we were standing but Lava Falls is considered the roughest water in the Grand Canyon. It flows between 8,000 and 20,000 cubic feet per second. River runners rate this rapid as a 10 plus on a scale of 1-10. If you look close, Lava Falls is about 1.5 miles down river from where we are standing. It just looks like some bubbly water.

There are breath-taking sites in all directions. We could see rafters on the river that looked like little specs from above.

Finally, the desert is starting to bloom. I couldn't resist stopping for a few flower shots.

Posted By: Bill38429

Re: 1000 places to see.... - 04/20/08 09:13 PM

Wow! That is an incredible view. My wife has a work conference in Vegas later this year, and I might tag along. We've talked about going out to the Canyon. I will remember this post and location for when that time comes. It looks like it would be worth the long drive.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: rscroope

Re: 1000 places to see.... - 04/21/08 01:41 PM

Great shots Lorie! I have never seen the Grand Canyon from the northside before or that angle on the Colorado River. WOW! The cacti blooming in a bunch are also cool.
Bob
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: 1000 places to see.... - 04/21/08 04:29 PM

Beautiful pictures Lorie!
What a great place!
Thanks for showing us ...
Posted By: Sunshine

Re: 1000 places to see.... - 04/24/08 05:51 PM

Thanks for sharing! The photos are beautiful and the views are spectacular.
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: 1000 places to see.... - 04/24/08 06:14 PM

The best part about seeing the Grand Canyon from there and along the North rim is you don't have the crowds of people.. The South rim is way too touristy, if that's a word.. It is also very enjoyable from the Colorado river view..
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: 1000 places to see.... - 04/24/08 07:03 PM

Nice photos !!!

Still have never been to the Grand Canyon, but hopefully soon. smile
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: 1000 places to see.... - 05/15/08 07:55 PM

I'm a little late in replying, but great shots, wow what a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing. applaud
© 2024 Collector Forums