LighthouseKeepers.com

No Aurora Tonight, so a frozen lighthouse will have to do...

Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

No Aurora Tonight, so a frozen lighthouse will have to do... - 01/22/05 05:20 AM

I decided to trek up to Ludington this evening in hopes of getting a bit of clear sky before our next major snowstorm set in and perhaps capture the Northern Lights...nothing doing, but I wasn't going to leave without snapping a few shots. This was about an hour and a half after sunset, 15 degrees, with a stiff breeze off Lake Michigan.

Ya know, as long as you bundle up good with thermals, and have good warm things on your extremeties, bearing cold weather isn't all that bad... cool
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: No Aurora Tonight, so a frozen lighthouse will have to do... - 01/22/05 05:34 AM

A true photographer and lighthouse nut eek Great pictures though. It made me cold just looking at them. Thanks Jen
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: No Aurora Tonight, so a frozen lighthouse will have to do... - 01/22/05 05:46 AM

Jen...I love looking at the snow and ice photos. Like Ruthie said, it makes me cold looking at them.
Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Re: No Aurora Tonight, so a frozen lighthouse will have to do... - 01/25/05 03:52 AM

Cool photos! I don't mind the cold that much as long as the wind chill is tolerable.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: No Aurora Tonight, so a frozen lighthouse will have to do... - 01/25/05 06:35 PM

Hey Jen, ...Does the extreme cold slow your camera down of fog up the lens when you bring it out into the cold?

Nice pictures, by the way.

confused Bob confused
Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Re: No Aurora Tonight, so a frozen lighthouse will have to do... - 01/25/05 09:46 PM

Hi guys!

Thanks for the wonderful comments. I only snapped 7 images in the 10 minutes I stood out there because Mary was nice and warm in the car waiting for me, so time was limited. Bob, shooting in cold weather does slow the camera down a bit in the respect that the batteries lose their juice faster. I shoot with a battery pack that holds two lithium batteries, so it's not as bad. Whenever you are outside with your camera in cold weather, regardless of the type or size of camera, always either wrap it in your coat, or scarf, put it back into it's bag, or a ziploc bag when going inside from cold air to warm. That fogging, condensation effect will get to the internals of your camera and could very well ruin it. You need to make sure it's closed off in something until it reaches room temperature.
© 2024 Collector Forums