LighthouseKeepers.com

The Next GLOW release

Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

The Next GLOW release - 04/15/10 05:14 PM

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm a big GLOW fan. I have most. I don't see them as an alternate for the classic LE version, but a second look. I buy both!

With that said, and since there is only one GLOW release this year, I'm hoping for a really great release.

Here's my wishlist:
- North Head
- Umpqua River
- Burrows Island
- Cape Blanco
- Sand Island, WI
- Fort Niagara
- Buffalo
- Michigan City Pier

I hope HL doesn't stop making GLOW's, even if it's only one a year. I guess this years sales will be a telling sign.
Posted By: buddha

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/15/10 11:41 PM

This is a good bunch, North Head and Umpqua River for sure. With the new process,s these need redoing.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/16/10 12:51 PM

I use to purchase GLOW's when the LE wasn't available. After I managed to collect all the LE's, with the exception of the thin tower Cape Hatteras, I sold off just about all my GLOW's.

Many thought GLOW's were "giftware" with no collectible value. Quite the contrary, they were extremely well-done replicas. In some cases they were better looking than their LE counterpart.

smile Bob
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/16/10 01:36 PM

I have always thought, and still do, that the GLOW was the biggest of 3 things that led to the downfall of the secondary market value for the limited edition lighthouses. The other 2 items, overproduction of LEs and Ebay, also played a big part. I own 2 GLOWs (Hatteras with the "GAL" label and Coquille) and have them displayed next to their LE brothers and sisters.
Posted By: SDudley

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/16/10 03:28 PM

GLOW do not bother me at all. Like Loon said it is like taking a second look at a Lighthouse. My take on the line was that it was brought out so the non collectors would have an affordable version of a popular light that in the day was hard to find. The increase in quality on many of the pieces also made it special to the people who had a fondness for whatever light that was being redone.
Posted By: CAVR

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/16/10 03:41 PM

I take a GLOW version of Winter Harbor, ME lighthouse any day..... of course I rather have the LE first! .....lots of rocks and sea ducks there, but no whales! Not very desolate either!

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/16/10 06:09 PM

I don't see a GLOW's version as competition towards an LE version.

I'm still collecting all the LE releases. I hope to have an original 17 curio someday soon in the Loon's Central Jersey Harbour Lights Museum wink .

The GLOW version matches more recent releases in the region or state curios.

I think the problem with the recent GLOW releases is that the're too much like the LE release.

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/16/10 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CAVR:
I take a GLOW version of Winter Harbor, ME lighthouse any day..... of course I rather have the LE first! .....lots of rocks and sea ducks there, but no whales! Not very desolate either!
Something tells me this is a clue for one of the Collector Society pieces! cheers

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/20/10 06:14 PM

I love ACADIA!

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/21/10 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CAVR:
I love ACADIA!
Which of these would you love the most right now?

Baker Island,
Great Duck Island,
Mount Desert Rock,
Bear Island,
Winter Harbor,
Blue Hill Bay

whistling

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/21/10 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Loon:
Which of these would you love the most right now?

Baker Island,
Great Duck Island,
Mount Desert Rock,
Bear Island,
Winter Harbor,
Blue Hill Bay
That is a "tricky" question......

In a GLOW -NONE of them until a LE is released first!
In a LE -All of them!

You missed two... -Isle au Haut, Prospect Harbor!

Doing your homework aye? Winter Harbor is given, but that is not the answer that you are searching for.... A new HL Society year will be here soon on MAY 1st! Just a couple more days.

ALL the hints for this years (2010-2011) HL society piece(s) are already out there in the forums....
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/21/10 10:48 PM

This is not inside information but just a feeling on my part, I think that new GLOW's in the future will be very few if any. Most of the very popular lighthouses that non Harbour Lights collectors visit have already been made.

With the advent of all of the recent suspensions of OE's, some of which are popular visited lighthouses plus the cut back in Limited Edition size, I feel GLOW's will not be part of future new releases..

The LLOM has also taken care of a lot of the Open Edition market.

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/22/10 04:38 PM

frown Unfortunately Paul is probably correct with the future of GLOW's. Based on what has already been released, I don't think any new releases will appeal to the casual collector. But I think a few of us diehards would like a more detailed version of some of the older releases.

cheers Please post if you agree or disagree.
Posted By: buddha

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/22/10 08:47 PM

I would be quite happy with one glow a year of the early replicas. North Head needs to be done as the original is little better than a caricature of the original light house. I think this approach would be viable for HL.
Posted By: Tony C

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/28/10 06:42 PM

Good Tuesday AM!

There is a 2010 GLOW release!

AJC

Re: The Next GLOW release - 04/28/10 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony C:
Good Tuesday AM!

There is a 2010 GLOW release!

AJC
That much we knew already, but care to give us a hint???
Posted By: Freddie

Re: The Next GLOW release - 05/03/10 03:41 AM

I like the GLOWS. They have more detail and clarity in the piece. I'd love to see Alligator and Sombrero Reef LEs or GLOWS, so the Florida Keys reef light chain is complete.
© 2024 Collector Forums