LighthouseKeepers.com

Poe Reef Light

Posted By: Digger

Poe Reef Light - 06/18/99 07:42 PM

Built in 1929, Poe Reef Light is located in the Straits of Mackinac South Channel, the route used by vessels passing between Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. The tower, which rests on a concrete pier 64 feet square and 38 feet tall, is surmounted by a square watchroom and a 10-sided cast-iron lantern.

Digger
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Poe Reef Light - 06/19/99 12:21 PM

Hey Digger, ... Thanks for digging that one up! What a great light! It's very different from any lights we have around here on the East Coast of New England.

Bob
Posted By: Art

Re: Poe Reef Light - 06/19/99 04:42 PM

Poe, as in Edgar Allan Poe?

Leave it to Digger!

Seriously, that is a unique light. It would make for a nice contrast in the curio. It's architect had a profound imagination. Block on top of block, on top of block. Now who would have thought that could ever work?

------------------
-Art
[This message has been edited by Art (edited 06-19-99).]
Posted By: Lighthousedude

Re: Poe Reef Light - 06/21/99 01:00 PM

Hey Digger,

What a great looking light!!

A very different looking stucture.

I really like the daymark as well.

From what I have been reading about you in the forum the (Edgar Alan) Poe Light has your name all over it!

Thanks for the great pic!!

Keep the Flame!
Posted By: Dove Point Light

Re: Poe Reef Light - 06/22/99 02:27 AM

Hey Digger-

Where's the raven??

NEVERMORE!!!!
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Poe Reef Light - 06/22/99 06:02 AM

Well, I gotta disagree. One of the ugliest lights I recall seeing. It might make me break that "you make 'em, I'll buy 'em" pledge if it showed up as a Harbour Lights.

Please St. John Shoal, not Poe Reef!!!!
Posted By: LamarB

Re: Poe Reef Light - 06/22/99 06:02 PM

I agree St. John. This one's definitely not a beauty in my eyes.

The post above about the technique of the designer? Art's post too is definitely appropos.

===============
Keepin some flame

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 06-22-99).]
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Poe Reef Light - 06/22/99 10:13 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the light is very interesting and much different from most of the lights I have seen. I like it!

Bob
Posted By: Todd Shorkey

Re: Poe Reef Light - 06/24/99 09:30 PM

Having just returned from photographing this light, (albiet from a distance using a 200mm lens with a 3x teleconverter) I think it has an "ugly duckling" charm to it. I would buy a Poe Reef HL, but as always, I am biased to Michigan lights.

By the Way, Poe Reef is a near duplicate to Martin Reef to its North. Martin Reef does not have the daymark.

-Todd
© 2024 Collector Forums