LighthouseKeepers.com

Suggestion For An Event Piece

Posted By: LamarB

Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/02/00 08:26 PM

I'd like to see HL do Alabama's Mobile Point Rear Range Light as an event piece.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBLIGHTHOUSES/mobilepointrangerear.JPG
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/03/00 12:20 AM

Lamar, although I respect your choice for HL to do Alabama's Mobile Point Rear Range Light, I can't say that I would agree with this choice. Since I have not seen it in person, I must say that the picture you showed of this light it looks so dark and dreary. Now I'm sure nobody has lived here since I see no house nearby. Why don't you give us your reasons for wanting this lighthouse as an event peace.

Ruthie
Posted By: Torchbearer

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/03/00 04:43 AM

Otherwords, it's just plain ugly. No offense Lamar... gotta mess with you!

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...
Posted By: youngone

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/03/00 06:56 AM

Lamar,

I like it!. I think it has a certain appeal, although it might qualify as a light, but not a lighthouse, (no house)! :>)

Tony
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/03/00 07:18 AM

How 'bout a series of Range lights?

Where the deer and buffalo play...

Speaking of Buffalo - my vote for an event piece goes to the Buffalo bottle light. A pic of which can be found in the newbie forum.

And nary is heard...
__
/im
(yes Art I know its antelope. Speaking of antelopes the freeway is 5 miles...)
Posted By: AlanBeckman

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/03/00 06:59 PM

I agree with you Lamar. Alabama only has three lighthouses and if something isn't done soon Sand Island will be gone. Perhaps sculpting the remaining two lights will help call attention to Sand Island's condition. I have seen and photographed Mobile Point Rear Range Light and think a small all metal light would be a great addition to the HL line.

AB in ALABAMA
Posted By: Tim H

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/04/00 05:03 AM

Lamar,

I have to tell you--I laughed (& still am) after pulling up the picture. It is interesting...

stilll laughing,
Tim H
Posted By: Pat PalmerBall

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/04/00 02:09 PM

Now please don't take this the wrong way or take offense(remember this is all in fun) but when I pulled the picture up (and keep in mind this is coming from a Kentuckian) I thought I was looking at a wiskey still. lol. Guess there may be an interest in this type of light

KYKEEPER - Pat
Posted By: RMau

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/05/00 04:34 AM

A couple of years ago my wife and I saw this lighthouse at sunset after crossing Mobile Bay on the ferry. Here's a picture that Linda took then.

I'd like to see this light as an event piece, or maybe the Collector's Society gift.

Rick

[This message has been edited by RMau (edited 08-04-2000).]

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/07/00 02:59 AM

Thanks Rick for posting a more current picture.

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/08/00 06:42 PM

What? No references to rocket ships from old science fiction movies? No Flash Gordon references?

I sure could have chosen a better picture to hyperlink to couldn't I?
Posted By: Torchbearer

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/08/00 09:43 PM

Lamar... it reminds me more of a guard tower at a prison. No offense intended. LOL

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...
Posted By: wheland

Re: Suggestion For An Event Piece - 08/08/00 11:27 PM

I can speak from experience. It does not look like the guard tower I worked in for the last few years. I just retired after actually being a prison guard who sat in a guard tower for a good portion of the 27 years i spent "in" prison.

I will also say that it bears a striking resembelence to the guard tower at Alcatraz (the prison, not the lighthouse).

Dennis
© 2024 Collector Forums