LighthouseKeepers.com

Seul Choix

Posted By: Elmer

Seul Choix - 11/04/02 02:35 PM

I've haven't made it to all 116 Michigan lighthouses, but I have been to the subject light and it is one of my favorites. I would like to see it replicated in a LE piece. smile
Posted By: WisKeeper

Re: Seul Choix - 11/05/02 03:15 AM

I like Seul Choix (only choice) also. Don't you think the bird house would look good on the piece?

Suzanne Murphy
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Seul Choix - 11/05/02 03:31 AM

Now, Dan, tell the people how to pronounce the name of this light correctly. . . . . .

Waiting anxiously,

Dave
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Seul Choix - 11/05/02 05:03 AM

"say schwa" (short a) ??

Re: Seul Choix - 11/05/02 05:14 AM

not according to the docents
Posted By: Jake

Re: Seul Choix - 11/05/02 06:14 AM

I've seen it and heard it as "shish-wah."
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Seul Choix - 11/05/02 12:51 PM

I've heard it referred to as "whachamacallit"

smile Bob smile
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Seul Choix - 11/05/02 03:11 PM

Seul Choix Website

Re: Seul Choix - 11/05/02 05:34 PM

You let Dan off the hook - I wanted to see if he knew how to pronounce the trick name.

One of the more interesting things we saw at Seul Choix was the copper trim around one of the doors. You wouldn't realize it was copper unless you were told to look closely at it.

Dave
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Seul Choix - 11/06/02 05:22 AM

I heard prounciation more along the lines of "Sis shwa" meaning Sole Choice from the French. Indeed a great candidate for an LE. Another Michigan Upper Peninsula "are we on the right gravel road honey?" lighthouse trips. On the grounds there is a well photographed bird house that is a replica of the light and quarters. I agree with Suzanne - an HL model w/ the bird house would be neat!

T
Posted By: WisKeeper

Re: Seul Choix - 11/06/02 06:16 AM

Tim wins the pronunciation contest. It is indeed pronounced "sis-shwa"

Suzanne
Posted By: Elmer

Re: Seul Choix - 11/07/02 04:40 PM

Hi David & All,

I just woke up. It is pronounced "Sis-Shwa" as a number of others have so indicated and took me off the hook. :p I was told that the light was haunted by the spirit world. eek Never saw any vestiges of a ghost ..... although did not look in the birdhouse. laugh laugh
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Seul Choix - 11/08/02 03:56 AM

Out here in The Northern Rhode Island, Southern Massachusetts area it's pronounced like sell but closer to sull schwa. You got the schwa right but the first part is a cross between the e and the u in sell and sull. Now if you can figure that one out from my spelling, your going to have it right. I don't believe I said that! Oh OH!

Bert wink
Posted By: mombo

Re: Seul Choix - 11/08/02 04:21 AM

So why would the Native Americans want to speak French anyway, what with having fought against each other? wink

Re: Seul Choix - 11/08/02 04:21 AM

Sorry, Bert, but we are speaking Michigan French here, not Canadian French, eh. Sis Shwa is the way it is pronounced by the Yoopers. Take a look at the web site Paul linked to and it will confirm how they believe it to be correctly pronounced (and it is their lighthouse).

Now we could get into a side conversation on the various pronunciations of Presque Isle...

Dave
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Seul Choix - 11/08/02 07:25 AM

That would be 'Presk Eel' - at least on the east coast of northern lower Michigan. :-)

T
© 2024 Collector Forums