LighthouseKeepers.com

St. Simons First Lighthouse

Posted By: DANIEL

St. Simons First Lighthouse - 06/08/02 04:02 AM

Since The Old St Augustine was a big hit and the original Minots Ledge is apparently coming out soon. Why Not the Original St Simons. I think it is a great idea bringing back the popular Lights in their original state. They were different lights and should share the glory as their modern successor. Many of these lighthouses are not known by most people and Harbour Lights producing them in Limited Editions is a great way of preserving our history.

St. Simons Lighthouse was first built in 1810 on the site of Oglethorpe's Fort St. Simons. This original structure was destroyed in 1862 as the Confederate Army retreated from Union invaders.
The Original St Simons was made of Tabby (a concrete mix using sea shells) just like the Old St Augustine.
At the St Simon’s Museum A model is displayed.

Daniel
Posted By: VSmoltz

Re: St. Simons First Lighthouse - 06/27/02 11:59 PM

I too have been hoping for the original St. Simons light built by James Gould in 1810. It's interesting to note that parts of the original tabby was used in the building of the current light, and that the base of the old light lies several hundred feet away near the gazebo today although it is covered by sod and the rope outline was taken down between my visits in Feb. 2000 and Feb. 2001.

Re: St. Simons First Lighthouse - 06/28/02 04:20 AM

Hi Valeri
Welcome to the forum.
I was wondering if I was the only one wishing for this one. Once collectors see it, I think it would be just as popular as the Old St Augustine. I believe the saying “Gone but not forgotten” isn't quite true.
I think it takes fellow Lighthouse lovers and Harbour lights creating these figurines to keep them alive.
I know I never heard of the Old Minots Ledge until Harbour Lights produced a figurine image of it. I don’t necessarily care for it as an open edition but I definitely appreciate this lighthouse being brought to my attention by H.L. Therefore, I am doing my part in making sure that the Old St. Simons isn’t forgotten by bringing it to the attention of the collectors of this forum and hopefully to Harbour Lights.

------------------
Daniel

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited 06-27-2002).]
Posted By: Randy Kremer

Re: St. Simons First Lighthouse - 07/01/02 07:27 PM

I like this idea also Daniel! We have been to St. Simons a few times and have seen the model of the original. It is different than the one there now and it would look good sitting side by side the limited edition version that Harbour Lights has already produced!
[This message has been edited by Randy Kremer (edited 07-01-2002).]
Posted By: oseabee

Re: St. Simons First Lighthouse - 07/01/02 11:18 PM

I would really be interested in something like this because as posted before I do not just collect replicas but pieces of historyand this would go well with my collection.Bill O'Brien
Posted By: wheland

Re: St. Simons First Lighthouse - 07/01/02 11:23 PM

Randy,

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that one very similar to Sandy Hook, New London Harbor, etc?

We were at St Simon's about 2 years ago and I seem to recall it was similar, but i'm not sure now.

Dennis
Posted By: Randy Kremer

Re: St. Simons First Lighthouse - 07/02/02 02:42 AM

Dennis, now that you mentioned it, I believe they are very similar in design! It would not be unique in that regard, but still would be a great "piece" of history! We will be heading in that direction in a few months and I will have to double check the design and report back!

Re: St. Simons First Lighthouse - 07/02/02 02:54 AM

The first time I saw the model I thought of Sandy hook. That must have been a style that was used back then.

Daniel
Posted By: wheland

Re: St. Simons First Lighthouse - 07/02/02 04:46 AM

I thought my memory was correct.

We did not have a long time to spend there as we were on the road and had to wait about an hour for the Lighthouse to open.

I think it was used by about 8-10 Lightouse builders, and about 4-5 are still standing (2 in CT alone- New Haven and New london use the same design).

It was similar to the way that the first 7 Lighthouses on the West coast look very much the same because they used the same basic design with the Lantern Room beig higher on some than on the others, but basically the same (Think Old Point Loma, Point Pinos, Battery Point, Original Alcatraz, GBNF Santa Barbara and the other 2 that escape my brain at this moment).

Dennis
Posted By: Stan

Re: St. Simons First Lighthouse - 07/02/02 11:20 PM

Just looked at an excellent illustration of the old St. Simons light in Kevin McCarthy's "Georgia Lighthouses & Historic Coastal Sites". It does bear a strong resemblance to Sandy Hook and a few other of the late 1700/early 1800 octagonal lighthouses. Shorter than the current tower, old St. Simons was 75 ft tall and, in 1857, was equipped with a 3rd order, double convex Fresnel lens. I agree that Old St. Simons would be an excellent addition to the HL line and a great companion piece to the "new" St. Simons.
© 2024 Collector Forums