LighthouseKeepers.com

Fort Monroe , Virginia

Posted By: Randy Kremer

Fort Monroe , Virginia - 08/29/99 04:38 AM

I would like to see Harbour Lights make this one. Lots of history there. The lighthouse sets just outside of the fort where Jefferson Davis was kept inprisoned after the Civil War. It's a great place to spend a day!
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 08/29/99 06:15 AM

Old Point Comfort 8/2/99

Can't see the fort but it is right behind the light. Neat old fort. Still has a moat around it. Home of the Casemate Museum.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 08-29-99).]
Posted By: Jazzer

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 09/12/99 05:23 PM

I agree with Randy . Old Point Comfort Light
Has much history connected to it. The light
of this beacon shined over the battle of the Monitor & Merimac . The first major battle between two ships constructed of metal.
Having lived in the area for six years during
the early 80,s I visited often. The US Army
has tried several times to close the fort but
local protest and support have in part kept
it open. The light is still active .
Old Point Comfort Light will be 200 years old
in 2002. I am trying to organize a celabration in connection with the local Phoebus days Fishing village celebration that takes place each year. Want to help ??? let me know .

[This message has been edited by Lonnie Davidson (edited 09-12-99).]

[This message has been edited by Lonnie Davidson (edited 09-26-99).]

Posted By: youngone

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 09/22/99 04:11 AM

Randy,

Another great idea!

I love the history from around the entire Chesapeake Bay area. Although my favorite will always be Thomas Point.

Tony
Posted By: wclark

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 09/24/99 05:45 PM

Randy,

I agree with Old Point Comfort. The whole area at Fort Monroe is a great place to visit.
Posted By: Rod Watson

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/10/99 02:35 PM

Looks like your wishes may come true. Rumor has this piece probable for next year, and may be the first release of the year.

I also thought this was a neat light. We walked the alley behind the property, along the fort's moat, and snapped some nice pictures from the backside too. The large naval vessels cruising up and down the seaway was really interesting. I think this will be a fairly popular sculpture.
Posted By: Rusty

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/10/99 10:57 PM

Dave,
Thanks for the picture. I have never seen this one before. It would make a great looking piece.

Rusty
Posted By: Rusty

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/10/99 11:00 PM

To delete the double post:

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 12-10-99).]
Posted By: Mike Thompson

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/11/99 12:18 AM

I just moved from the tidewater area of Virginia after living there for about 16 years, so naturally I would love another Virginia light to add to my collection. There is an incredible amount of history attached to Old Point Comfort. Fort Monroe is a beautiful place and home of the Army's training department. To add a little to what Lonnie said about the army trying to close the fort down, each time they try, a huge group of developers really push for the closure because of the location and prime real estate. Hopefully, public protest will long win out over the developers.
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/11/99 02:48 AM

They hang an Old.. Old Glory at Old Point Comfort Light... at least they did when we were there in June of 1999.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame
Posted By: Jazzer

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/30/99 07:09 AM

We got it . Old point Comfort for 2000. With all the MD and NC lights I for one am glad to see another from VA and ,WOW, 2 from
DE.

Thanks HL
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/30/99 07:18 PM

It is a wonderful light. Could you see the piece set at civil war time with the Monitor and Merimac in the waters by it? That would be a truely unique piece.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/31/99 03:25 PM

Have missed seeing this light on two trips to the area. So,
need to mark it for this summer's visit. My Mother lives only an hour away. Now isn't that convenient?
Derith

[This message has been edited by Derith Bennett (edited 12-31-99).]
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/31/99 06:10 PM

Your wishes have been fulfilled:

www.HarbourLights.com/catalog/2000/hl_point_comfort.htm
Posted By: Mike Thompson

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/31/99 08:09 PM

I am happy to see they made this piece. It'll look great along side Cape Henry and Assateague.
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 12/31/99 08:44 PM

To check out a preview of the new releases go to this forum for a link to the page.
http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum19/HTML/000139.html
It appears we have 3 or 4 threads all talking about the same thing. It would be helpful to everyone if everybody comments about the new Year 2000 releases in just one thread. I suggest..... The Latest Models Forum.... First Harbour Lights of 2000 Announced thread.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame
Posted By: Randy Kremer

Re: Fort Monroe , Virginia - 01/01/00 04:02 AM

Looks like wishes do come true! Thanks for the picture St. John!
This will be a real "Keeper" for me!
© 2024 Collector Forums