LighthouseKeepers.com

Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike

Posted By: WackoPaul

Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike - 09/17/08 11:26 PM

I found an item about the lighthouse showing from the air that it escaped Ike's wrath..

Bolivar Lighthouse

It was first reported that the lighthouse was damaged, but it looks like it came through it very well..
Posted By: docsweetie

Re: Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike - 09/18/08 04:14 AM

Thanks for the news about the lighthouse. Our lighthouse heritage is precious. We always hope the lighthouses can withstand the weather they have to endure. I'm glad Bolivar light seems to be intact.
Posted By: Bill38429

Re: Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike - 09/19/08 03:54 PM

Here's another photo of Bolivar I found. This one was taken a day or so after Ike went through.

http://www.khou.com/images/slideshow/ike_aftermath/images/368.jpg

This pic really shows how much water covered the peninsula. Bolivar isn't an "ocean" lighthouse, but it sure looks like it here. On a side note, all of the beaches and communities on the peninsula were pretty much wiped out, so keep those people in your thoughts.

Also, I checked the NOAA satellite images and the Sabine Pass light is still there. The photo doesn't get close enough to see how much more damage had been done (there was a large tidal surge in Sabine), but at least it is still standing.

Personally, we were hit pretty hard here where I live, but we were so fortunate. Those poor people 40 miles north of us in Galveston and Bolivar really got the brunt of the storm. Our biggest obstacles have been downed trees and patience as we wait for electricity to come back on.
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike - 09/19/08 06:21 PM

WOW! That's alot of water...glad to hear you made it through o.k.
Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike - 09/19/08 07:57 PM

Yeah, that is alot of water!

Amazing how much water is around the lighthouse in the 9/13 pic in Bill's link compared to the 9/15 pic in Paul's link.
Posted By: docsweetie

Re: Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike - 09/20/08 01:17 AM

Wow! What a difference in the two pictures. Water can do so much damage. It is good to know that Bolivar and Sabine seemed to survive.
Posted By: Zachary

Re: Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike - 09/24/08 12:29 PM

As you all know the Bolivar lighthouse did indeed survive Ike, the two keepers houses did as well, which is good because people do live in them, the old oil house however did not
Posted By: Shortcake

Re: Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike - 09/27/08 04:19 AM

Best Collection of Ike Photos I’ve seen

http://www.tpicks.com/pictures%20people%20have%20sent%20me.html
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike - 09/27/08 01:51 PM

Unbelievable pictures of the ultimate horror of what can happen in a major storm like Ike. It makes me glad I don't live on the coast. It makes me wonder how those poor people will be able to recover.

Bob
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Bolivar Lighthouse and Hurricane Ike - 09/27/08 06:48 PM

Wow, there is a lot of cleanup ahead. I was amazed with some of the before and after pics.

I'll pray that everyone can recover from this!
© 2024 Collector Forums