LighthouseKeepers.com

If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........

Posted By: keeperpam2

If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........ - 11/30/00 04:16 AM

What do we do? Leave them alone or have them painted, and possibly risk the loss of value?
I did talk to Bill on this subject once, and he said they MAYBE could be more collectible by just leaving them alone. Now I am faced with possibly selling my collection, with a few of the early pieces needing paint. We all know that it has been a problem, but would like some good feedback from other collectors. Not that Bill Younger isn't a reliable source I just want to hear if others would buy a piece like this without repainting it or WITH it repainted.
Thanks for any and all comments.
Pam
Posted By: mci1231

Re: If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........ - 11/30/00 05:17 AM

As a collector with just about 200 pieces i would not buy a touched up piece if I knew about it. Also, given a choice i also would not buy a piece that requires touch up. But at least the original would i beleive, be more valuable.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........ - 11/30/00 01:16 PM

My HL 104, Sandy Hook, is in need of a paint job the way I look at it. On the advice of a fellow collector, it has remained the way I received it. The paint appears to have "thinned." I guess it will stay that way rather than risk a paint job which could totally ruin the value of the piece.

Bob
Posted By: Bill Harnsberger

Re: If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........ - 11/30/00 02:31 PM

My Castle Hill is flaking off really bad. Even light dusting with a blush brush is enough to send pieces flying off (so I don't do THAT anymore).

To answer your question: Don't repaint.
Posted By: mci1231

Re: If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........ - 11/30/00 03:25 PM

Just curious.....is there anything that you can do that prevents the paint from flaking?
Posted By: Joanne

Re: If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........ - 11/30/00 06:18 PM

If I were buying an older piece from a secondary source, I wouldn't buy one that has been repainted. Chances are you will get less money for the repainted piece than if it was in its natural condition, and you will have put out the extra money for the repair.

Joanne
Posted By: 2beacons

Re: If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........ - 12/01/00 05:02 AM

My opinion is just leave them alone. Yes, they may not be worth as much if they are flaking and chipped but they still are more original than if they are repaired.
Posted By: TDSimpson

Re: If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........ - 12/01/00 07:31 PM

We also have a piece that has paint flaking off of it but it is not an old piece. It is on our Big Sable, MI. Anyone else notice this problem. The area is towards the top of the tower where the lantern room and the body of the tower meet.

Tom
Posted By: lkeasyliving

Re: If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........ - 12/02/00 01:34 AM

Since on this subject is 140 Diamond Head roof faded or is it saposed to be solid red?
mine is faded looks good to me!!
maybe there saposed to fade & flake a little for the real ones do
Larry
Posted By: keeperpam2

Re: If our earlier sculptures have lost their paint........ - 12/02/00 08:51 PM

Thank you to everyone so far that has responded. I guess the few early pieces faded or flaked because of the company that painted them. Even using a blush brush on them may hurt them......depending on the piece.
I will let them go; unpainted, with character. You've all been lots of help!
Pam
© 2024 Collector Forums