LighthouseKeepers.com

Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights?

Posted By: JULB

Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/23/00 09:30 PM

I've been thinking about a new curio & or changing my curent dispaly set-up and I was wondering if anyone on the forum either uses or has tried those small "under-the-counter" type of flourescent lights?

It occured to me since that is what I use when I am either examining a piece particularly closely or when I'm doing small intricate work on some other things. They are very bright, the light is white (not yellow like some halogens), and they draw very little power and don't get hot. They also come in very compact units that can easily be hidden.

Any inputs, comments, ideas, about this approach?

[This message has been edited by JULB (edited 01-23-2000).]
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/23/00 11:11 PM

About using fluorescent lights to light your cabinet, one word should cover it.

NO!

I am reposting a post of John Chidester’s from a thread that talked about color changes of Currituck lighthouse.

Quote:
Greydawn's pictures arrived today so here's the two side-by-side:

I'm thinking this might be a fluorescent light fade - uniformly in almost all areas because the overhead lighting spreads it around. There seems to be a color shift in the 'grass' area. Definitely a change in the brick walks around the house.

The bricks in between the black support structures - at the top of the lighthouse are about the same color in both. If the piece were lit from directly above, That would put those areas out of the direct effect of the fluorescent.

Note also that colors of red or that include a lot of red tend to fade out first. Colors with more blue pigment take longer to fade.

The whole thread: http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000241.html

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame
Posted By: RezmanDale

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/24/00 04:25 AM

Thanks for the info Paul. I was looking at Flourescent lights myself. I have one in my curio but it's not plugged in. Glad I didn't use it.

Dale
Posted By: Hal Dean

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/24/00 04:39 AM

Good point on the use of flourescent lights. I have them in my curio cabinet also but only use them while showing them off to someone. Also another point is dont let the sunlight shine in from a window on your display as that will really make them fade.
Hal
Posted By: JULB

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/24/00 05:12 AM

OKIE_DOKIE!

Thanks for the info & nice font size St. Paul
Posted By: Randy Kremer

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/26/00 02:44 AM

Thanks for the info Paul! I know what not to use in my cases!
Posted By: Deb Weissler

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/27/00 03:35 AM

I bought a teakwood curio cabinet two years ago with lighting illuminating each shelf. The cabinet maker, realizing the damage direct lighting can do to anything displayed, subtley tucked each twin chandelier lightbulb fixture behind each teakwood shelf. The bulbs back-light the lighthouses without causing glare or damage. The cabinet displays a warm golden glow off the teakwood and adds a touch of "sunset" to each lighthouse.
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/30/00 09:18 PM

I just received my Currituck and it was the same color as the one on the left of the picture and another Currituck I saw in a store was the more browner color on the left. Is it possible it's a color variation?

Joanne
Posted By: mombo

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/31/00 04:29 PM

Currituck colors have been previously discussed:
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000241.html
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/31/00 06:35 PM

Thanks Mombo. That was interesting to read. I suspect it is a color variation since as it was pointed out in the thread, it is equal in color all over the tower, and the grass, trees, and building all look fine.

Joanne
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 01/31/00 11:34 PM

I believe the thread concludes that it is NOT a color variation but is due to the result of display under a flourescent light, perhaps in a store. The uniform discoloration, especially of the brown -- which has lots of red in it -- made me think the store probably had a ceiling full of tube lights, maybe hidden behind a ceiling of diffusers.

Another tip-off is that in the brick areas under the overhangs at the top, the colors were more brown.
Posted By: Medicman

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 02/18/00 09:51 PM

OK. So it's obvious that flourescent lighting is a NO!. I'm having a curio built to match our other living room furniture which is a white-washed pine and I need to ask about lighting also. Does it make a difference between "clear" vrs. "frosted" ? Do you think 40w bulbs are too much? Is there a HL recommendation to dealers about how to display em for lighting? I don't want to keep em in the dark but I surely don't want to ruin em either.
Posted By: Brent

Re: Has Anyone Tried Flourescent Lights? - 02/18/00 11:30 PM

Excellent responces!! I do lighthouse renderings as a hobbie and have had all sorts of problems with most any type of "long term" lighthing. That's the "Key". Any lighting, even indirect, should be somewhat limited in duration. Any lighthing that contains UV rays, such as sun-light or floresents should have limited exposure. A good rule of thumb....the closer that the light is located (in relation to the colour pigments)...and....the longer it is exposed, the more rapidly the colour breakdown occurs.
© 2024 Collector Forums