LighthouseKeepers.com

Lighthouse Repairing

Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Lighthouse Repairing - 03/15/07 07:49 PM

I know I've seen prior topics on this, but I decided to start a new one to see what the current info is.

I recently purchased a lighthouse on the secondary market, yes Ebay, and it came damaged.

The seller no longer had the box or styrofoam. He/she also didn't use enought packing material. The piece (Avery Point) must have been able to move too much during shipment. The tip of the lighthouse broke off. I did find most of it in the box, but after glueing it back on, it still has some cracks and holes that need to be filled.

Anyone recommend something to use as a filler for these cracks & holes. I will post a picture shortly.
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Lighthouse Repairing - 03/16/07 12:00 AM

There is a "Clay" material put out by Crayola sold at most arts and crafts stores. It comes in black, white, green, red and yellow. It is applied to the damaged area by rubbing it in to fill the cracks or molding it to make a shape. Let it air cure for 24-36 hours and it is ready to paint. Just make sure to seal the unused portion or it will harden. You can buy a kit containg all the colors in individual packets or separate colors by themselves. The kit goes for about $6.00 and the individual colors at about $2.00 each.
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: Lighthouse Repairing - 03/16/07 01:10 AM

Rich,

I was going to answer Loon's post -- but you beat me to it.

Loon, that clay works. You don't even have to heat anything to make it harden. In fact you shouldn't. Good Luck!

bobo

Re: Lighthouse Repairing - 03/16/07 01:18 AM

Thanks Rich & Bob !!! bow

I'm going to get that stuff tomorrow.

What type of paint should I use, Enamel or Acrylic ???
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: Lighthouse Repairing - 03/16/07 01:59 AM

Loon,

You may not need it. Avery Point has a white tip and clay comes in white. However, if you wish to repaint, I would recommend Delta Ceramcoat, white acrylic paint. You should be able to purchase the paint at the same place you buy the clay.

bobo

Re: Lighthouse Repairing - 03/16/07 02:27 AM

Bob - This time you beat me to the answer. Yes, that is probably the best paint choice.

Re: Lighthouse Repairing - 03/16/07 03:33 AM

Thanks again Bob & Rich !!! bow bow

I have my list ready to go to my local craft store tomorrow. laugh

Re: Lighthouse Repairing - 03/24/07 07:42 PM

Thanks again Rich & Bob O !!!

Here's how my Avery Point looks after her renovations. This is as close I could get without going blury.

Re: Lighthouse Repairing - 03/24/07 10:19 PM

Looks great to me. It was pretty simple wasn't it?

Re: Lighthouse Repairing - 03/25/07 07:05 PM

Rich, It was a lot of fun. A little tough getting the coopala roof lines to match, but with a little shaping and an exacto knife, I got it looking pretty good.

Thanks again for the advice.
© 2024 Collector Forums