LighthouseKeepers.com

A tip for missing HL lightning rods

Posted By: JJ

A tip for missing HL lightning rods - 11/25/08 05:25 PM

Over in The Latest Model thread Rich posted a thought which brought back a conversation I had with Bill at an event somewhere in the ancient past.

"HLs could include the flexible rod to install or not install (collector's choice like the flag on the ELL)."

I had purchased an older HL which had the hole for a rod, but was missing the rod itself. I asked Bill if they had any rods left in the warehouse and he told me to go home and clip a bristle from my hairbrush and stick it in the hole. It worked like a charm, was flexible and could be trimmed to length. Looks like the real thing too.
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: A tip for missing HL lightning rods - 11/25/08 07:38 PM

You can also use a bristle from a synthectic broom or a bristle from a artifical Christmas tree. It all depends on the diameter of the bristle you need. Just add a VERY SMALL drop of super glue in the hole of on the bristle itself and insert. Make sure it is straight before you let go. Paint to match and you are done.
Posted By: Medicman

Re: A tip for missing HL lightning rods - 12/11/08 09:06 AM

Do you wonder if anyone has tried to use a dremel tool to make a hole for a rod???
Posted By: JJ

Re: A tip for missing HL lightning rods - 12/11/08 02:49 PM

Wouldn't a drill press be better? Maybe we could test out a few broken HL's to see.
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: A tip for missing HL lightning rods - 12/11/08 03:17 PM

I've been thinking about the drill press idea for a while now. I bought a small Dremel Drill Press from Sears last weekend for my Dremel Tool but haven't had a chance to try it out. If you want the biggest chance of being sucessful you will have to use a drill press or at least have hands that are steady as a rock otherwise the ball will crumble when pressure is applied to it on the sides.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: A tip for missing HL lightning rods - 12/11/08 04:29 PM

I have a commercial sized drill press. I should give it a try. When ever I finally go out and buy my green water version WP maybe I will touch it off with a lightning rod.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: A tip for missing HL lightning rods - 12/11/08 09:40 PM

Most HLs these days have a metal rod that goes down the tower. The "Ventilator Ball" is actually the end of the rod.

Drilling down into the ventilator ball will be a bit tough if it is a metal rod.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: A tip for missing HL lightning rods - 12/15/08 12:05 PM

Quote:
Most HLs these days have a metal rod that goes down the tower. The "Ventilator Ball" is actually the end of the rod.
Does that mean it should end the old problem of ventilator balls being knocked off? I wonder what percentage of HL's have been damaged by mishandling which lead to the removal of the VB?

smile Bob
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: A tip for missing HL lightning rods - 12/16/08 04:16 AM

That plus it makes the tower itself stronger - like rebar in cement. Oh, and it's a perfect 'ball' no longer hand shaped and imperfect.
© 2024 Collector Forums