LighthouseKeepers.com

Recycling plan

Posted By: mombo

Recycling plan - 09/08/99 04:41 PM

Here's a project I started yesterday but had been in the back of my mind for some time.

When I moved back to my Dad's house 3 years ago I found an old U.S. map that used to hang on the wall of our camp which had been the previous building on the property. The map is 50" x 38" and is marked with a price of $.23. When I was a kid it hung near my bed in the camp and I used to quiz my folks on the state capitals. (You can probably figure out what my age is now!)

Anyway, I decided to save it for whatever reason, sentiment I guess.

Now I've tacked it up on the wall again and decided to use it to mark locations of lighthouses and forum members. Have to get some (lots) of those pins with colored balls on the end. Have used push-pins so far to start marking locations of forum folk.

Thought I'd mark all LH with same color, changing color as I visit them.

Already it is showing the scope of collectors and will be quite impressive when finished. Will probably have to put up separate maps of Maine and Michigan! Have it in the front entry porch, a place where I don't really care if there are lots of holes in the wall.

Fun for the feeble minded! Mombo
Posted By: QC

Re: Recycling plan - 09/08/99 05:22 PM

Neat idea Mombo. I would be honored to have a pin at Perkasie Pa. Perkasie is a little NW of Philadelphia.
Take care,
QC
Posted By: Lighthousedude

Re: Recycling plan - 09/08/99 07:04 PM

Fun for the feeble minded, hardly!!

Sounds like just plain fun to me. What a great idea!!

If the map shows Long Island put in 3 pins for "Long Island Bob" Scroope, Bob Muller a.k.a the "Wildbird" and me the "Lighthousedude".

Thanks
Posted By: Digger

Re: Recycling plan - 09/08/99 11:12 PM

Mine will go "Under" the map!
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 01:59 AM

Stick one in Scottsdale Arizona - "The West's Most Western Town" for St. John.

I wish I could find some Internet software that would look like a zoom-able map and by entering your zip code, it would add a 'dot' to the map. Anybody find one, LMK.
Posted By: Art

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 02:29 AM

Mombo,

I like your idea. I have done something similar. Each of my kids has his own large map of the US hanging in his room. Upon return from our trips to wherever we go, we trace out the route taken with a felt tip pen. It's neat to watch the network of roads traveled grow over the years, and the kids will each have a durable keepsake of their childhood vacations. We presently use the maps to reminisce and also to plan future destinations and routes. It's a lot of fun.

------------------
-Art
Posted By: youngone

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 02:42 AM

Mombo, Art:

Great Ideas and it helps the kids learn alittle geography. As a teacher I give you two thumbs way up. Mombo, place one in Damascus, MD for me, Thanks!
Tony

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 04:15 AM

Have pins will stick. If you feel a prick, you'll know you're on my voodoo map!

(Already have 3 that are quite close together - yes, they're in NY!)

Nice idea Art! Hope some of the roads are those "less traveled". My daughter, now 27, paid me quite a nice compliment a few years back. She said, "My friends told me about their vacations to Disney, theme parks, etc. but I told them we didn't go to any of those places." "My mom took us on all kinds of backroads and we found so many interesting places and people along the way."

Of course Bill (24) probably wishes we had gone to the other places!

Mombo
Posted By: SCombs

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 04:58 AM

I would be very pleased if you would add a pin in NW Arkansas, Springdale to be exact. We don't have a light house in the state, so I will just stay in my den and enjoy my HL collection until I can see more of them in person with my HL family at the next reunion.

Thanks,
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 07:36 AM

Mombo,
I just gotta ask- how many states on the map? At $.23 that has to be a classic! Add a pin to Kokomo IN - about 50 mi straight north of Indy. Where your Chrysler automatic transmission or GM high end electronics came from.

Dave
Posted By: Lighthouse Ghost

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 12:25 PM

Hey Mombo!

Stick one in the Heart Of Dixie(Birmingham Alabama) for me!

Lighthouse Ghost
Posted By: AlanBeckman

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 01:05 PM

Hi Mombo,

Stick another one just north of Birmingham in Warrior, Alabama - also in the heart of Dixie.

AB in Ala-Bam
Posted By: Bob St Clair

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 02:13 PM

Hi Mombo,

Stick a pin in Lafayette, Louisiana, Cajun Country for me.

Super great idea, you may have started something here.

Where you at Lamar? Lets wave our flag.

------------------
Bob
Posted By: LamarB

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 04:06 PM

Hi Mombo,

Please stick a pin in Baton Rouge, Louisiana for me.

Us Harbour Lights collectors gotta' stick together.
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 04:16 PM

Mombo, Stick a pin in the "Old North State" for me. Eden NC to be exact.It's due north of Greensboro, on the Virgina border. However if your map is as old as it sounds stick the pin in any of these three towns which now make up Eden. Leaksville, Spray, Or Draper. The three didn't combine till 1967.

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 09-09-99).]
Posted By: LADYBUG

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 05:09 PM

Mombo
Love the map idea; Lynnwood, WA probably isn't on your map so just pin me north of Seattle. I keep a small map on our refrigerator and every time a new state is visited I color it in -- 31 states visited so far
LADYBUG
Posted By: orv

Re: Recycling plan - 09/09/99 11:18 PM

Stick one in for me right in the center, actually due south of center of the US in Springfield, MO right north of Branson, Summer home of Wayne Newton, Andy Williams and all those other guys
Posted By: RRohweder

Re: Recycling plan - 09/10/99 02:30 AM

Better not forget to put one in at Eureka, CA for the really far West in the continental U.S. Neat idea Mombo

Rich

------------------
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Recycling plan - 09/10/99 03:13 AM

Hello Mombo,

I'd be honored if you put a pin in Orlando, FL, for me.

Joanne
Posted By: DeDo

Re: Recycling plan - 09/10/99 03:39 AM

Hi Mombo,

A fellow New Yorker would love a pin in White Plains between Tarrytown Light & Great Captain in Long Island Sound.
Where is Phoenix NY? Upstate? Notice us downstaters think everything is upstate. New York City & everything else is the country! Just kidding!

Donna
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Recycling plan - 09/10/99 01:39 PM

Great idea Mombo!
It looks like you have quite a following agreeing with you.
It will be especially helpful in the Chat Room.
Bob
Posted By: Stan

Re: Recycling plan - 09/11/99 03:50 AM

Mombo, see if you can find Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida on your ancient map. If it doesn't show up, stick a pin on the coast just south of Jacksonville Beach. If Jax Beach doesn't show, stick one about half way between St. Augustine & Amelia Island.
Stan

Re: Recycling plan - 09/11/99 05:22 AM

Weasel: Spray was on the map!

Donna: Phoenix is a few miles northwest of Syracuse.

Bob: PC is in basement. Could check the map during chats when I go up to let one of the cats in/out!

Pins so far: North(26) South(12) West(6)
New York(7)
Indiana(6)

Mombo

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 09-10-99).]
Posted By: Tim3167

Re: Recycling plan - 09/11/99 06:08 AM

Great idea Mombo. Stick another pin in Fl. for me. Ocoee to be exact just a bit west of Orlando. If that doesnt work just look for the mouse ears and stick it there :-)
Posted By: Bob Steinbrunn

Re: Recycling plan - 09/11/99 06:37 AM

Hey, Mombo:

Stick a pin in the map for me, just about 1/16" south of the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport, directly in the center of Eagan, Minnesnowta.

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

Re: Recycling plan - 09/11/99 05:51 PM

Quote:
"Minnesnowta"

Love it, Bob!
Posted By: akmn

Re: Recycling plan - 09/11/99 07:22 PM

Your gonna have to get more and more pins! I would be honored if you place one in Princeton, Minnesota. About 50 miles north of Minneapolis or 25 miles due east from St. Cloud!
Posted By: wheland

Re: Recycling plan - 09/11/99 08:18 PM

I'm a real newbie, but I'd appreciatr it if you could stick a pin in for me. I'm in Hamilton, NJ. Just outside Trenton. I've been keeping a journal of my LH visits. Just got back from CT/RI/MA where I got to 29. Some distant views, but got into some. Dennis

------------------
Posted By: lkeasyliving

Re: Recycling plan - 09/11/99 10:49 PM

Stick a pin in Holland Michigan for me great idea I have a map already hanging in our hot tub room I think I'll start one on my travles and lights I've seen
Larry
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Recycling plan - 09/12/99 02:42 AM

Stick a pin just north of Providence Ri and just south of Boston. I'm 15 miles from Providence and 30 miles from Boston just off of Rte 95. Great place to be!

Bob
Posted By: Todd Shorkey

Re: Recycling plan - 09/13/99 12:47 AM

I would be honored to have a pin for my hometown- Bay City, MI. To find Bay City, look at the palm of your right hand. Where the thumb and index finger meet is where you will find me!

-Todd
Posted By: Tom and Joyce Abbott

Re: Recycling plan - 09/13/99 04:20 PM

What a super idea Mombo. How about a pin for Desoto, Texas? It's about 15 miles south of downtown Dallas on I-35 & I-20.

Thanks!
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Recycling plan - 09/14/99 01:06 AM

Hey Mombo, don't put my pin in yet. After Floyd hits, I may not be in Orlando anymore. You may have to move it into the Gulf of Mexico.

Joanne

Re: Recycling plan - 09/14/99 05:27 AM

It's already there, but the western states could use some pins (but not yours). Good luck Joanne!

MOMBO
Posted By: lmyhre

Re: Recycling plan - 09/14/99 06:58 AM

Mombo:

You need more from Washington State. Put a pin for me in Bellevue (just east of Seattle).

Larry

Re: Recycling plan - 09/14/99 04:10 PM

Hey Mombo,

Just got an idea. If you need more pens in the west, why not get the largest thumbtack you can find and place it in El Cajon, for HL Headquarters?
Posted By: JeffB

Re: Recycling plan - 09/14/99 10:01 PM

Mombo, great idea! I was hoping to be the first pin from Texas, but it looks like Tom and Joyce beat me to it! Could you put one just north of Dallas this time, in a little town called Allen? Thanks!
Posted By: jakescol

Re: Recycling plan - 09/16/99 06:12 PM

St.Joseph MI for me. Thanks jake
Posted By: Mapper

Re: Recycling plan - 09/18/99 03:47 AM

Mombo,
How about one more pin for Missouri. Stick a pin in for me about 100 miles (at map scale) northeast of Orv's pin. Rolla, Missouri is right along Interstate 44 half way between Springfield and St Louis.
Thanks,
Allen
Posted By: drwhok9

Re: Recycling plan - 09/18/99 04:19 AM

mombo

Please add me to your map - Wixom Mi is where I live now. Look at the northwest corner of yellow area for Detroit suburbs and you may see it.

Thanks
Jim

[This message has been edited by drwhok9 (edited 09-17-99).]

Re: Recycling plan - 09/18/99 04:28 AM

How could I not put in a pin for someone called Mapper!

Now Dr Who, he wants a pin too but he doesn't want to ask, lol. (Don't worry, I gotcha!)

No that's wrong, He did ask!

MOMBO

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 09-17-99).]
Posted By: whizkid3

Re: Recycling plan - 09/20/99 06:46 AM

Please don't forget us folks in
Youngstown, Ohio. It's a small city,
so get your magnifing glass out and
mark us almost dead center between
Cleveland, OH and Pittsburg, PA.

Brian
Posted By: Al and Kathy

Re: Recycling plan - 09/20/99 08:09 PM

Mombo, you can put a pin in Edelstein, IL. Actually, you'd have better luck hitting Peoria - we live in the country about 20 miles north.

Kathy
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Recycling plan - 09/21/99 04:46 AM

Hi Mombo,

Please add a pin for "Nana" in Tampa area.
John Lewis from the chatroom is in this area too.

I love your idea. Always enjoyed using a US map when I was a classroom teacher. What is the date "your HL map" was printed?

Derith

Re: Recycling plan - 09/21/99 05:58 AM

Derith, you've been "pinned" for some time. Don't know the date, would guess early 50's. Probably could sell it on Ebay, if I hadn't stuck it full of pins. Then again, if I advertised it as a HL800 Wacko map, some one would probably buy it!

Mombo
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: Recycling plan - 09/22/99 12:02 AM

You can put a pin in Thornton, CO for my wife and I.

Randall & Linda Ronne
Posted By: Randy Kremer

Re: Recycling plan - 09/24/99 06:15 PM

Hey MOMBO
Here's another one from Ohio. Mason which is just north of Cincinnati.
Posted By: Jim Chesher

Re: Recycling plan - 09/25/99 02:13 AM

MOMBO
Jacksonville, Florida would be my pin

------------------
Jim Chesher
Posted By: Greydawn

Re: Recycling plan - 09/25/99 02:30 AM

How about a pin in the heart of South Carolina, West Columbia to be exact. I don't suppose it would count to put half a pin in West Columbia and the other half in Charleston SC, since that's where I was born and raised!Thanks Mombo
Posted By: QC

Re: Recycling plan - 09/27/99 04:12 PM

Mombo,
Curious, how many pins do you think you have in your map?
Thanks,
George
Posted By: Gary Toth

Re: Recycling plan - 09/28/99 04:43 AM

You can add a pin for Kay and I on top of St. Peters, Missouri, just west of St. Louis and the Missouri River.

Re: Recycling plan - 09/28/99 05:01 AM

Have a few more to stick in for those who have requested lately. Then will have to make a list and post to be sure I have everyone who wants to be on it.

Mombo

Re: Recycling plan - 09/28/99 05:49 AM

Mombo, I hate to do this to you, But could you please move my pin from Spray, NC to Tampa FL. My job has sent me packing south. The Worst part of it is I only had room for one HL box in the car. The Rest of my 60 some odd pieces are in their boxes in the floor of my parents living room/store room. Thanks and I'll try to keep the pin movement to a bare minimum!

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 09-27-99).]
Posted By: digitalman

Re: Recycling plan - 09/28/99 01:43 PM

I would be honored if you would place a pin in Columbia, South Carolina... the south is still a far ways behind.
thanks digitalman!

Re: Recycling plan - 09/28/99 04:06 PM

How about a picture of your map & pins? Must be getting 'peppered' with map pins by now.
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Recycling plan - 09/28/99 06:21 PM

Closing this link since it is over the 50 responses. Link to continue the recycling plan thread.

http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum3/HTML/000077.html

Saint WackoPaul'
Keep the Flame
© 2024 Collector Forums