LighthouseKeepers.com

Insurance on HLs

Posted By: Bob M

Insurance on HLs - 10/17/99 01:38 PM

Does anyone have any advice on insuring HLs? What does it cost? What do the policies cover? Theft? Breakage? Fire & smoke damage?

Has anyone actually experienced a theft of an HL from their collection? If you had a fire at your home and all your loved ones had escaped safely,and you had a choice of rescuing your family photo album or your HLs, which would it be?

Bob
Posted By: RRohweder

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/17/99 11:52 PM

Hi Bob,

I insure with the CIA (Collectibles Insurance Agency) of Westminster, MD. $52. gives me $18K worth of insurance for a year. With that peace of mind, if presented with a choice of HL's or family photo albums, it would be the photo albums that I'd save. You can replace the HL's.

Rich

------------------
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/18/99 01:15 AM

Right after Hurricane Floyd,I posted the same question. LamarB (who I am grateful to since I was just hit by a surprise hurricane) wrote me about the Collectibles Insurance Agency (CIA). I was able to insure all of my collectibles, (Gone With the Wind Plates and Swarovski crystal for a terrific price. About one third of what my homeowners insurance wanted for a rider to my policy.

Try to find that thread. I think it was hurricanes 2 or something like that. St. John closed one thread and opened another.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 10-18-99).]
Posted By: TXKeeper

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/18/99 02:03 AM

I have my lighthouses insured with State
Farm (homeowners too). It covers theft, breakage, fire, etc. It was very inexpensive considering the earlier lighthouses and how much their value has increased. It gave me peace of mind.
Posted By: LamarB

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/18/99 03:58 AM

As Joanne mentioned above, I have coverage from CIA and I've been pleased.
Posted By: Art

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/18/99 04:27 AM

Shame on me, my HLs are not yet insured.

Regarding the question of photo albums v. HLs, that's a no-brainer. I agree with Rich. I could not replace photos of my kids when they were two years old for any amount of money. The HLs can be replaced comparatively easily.

------------------
-Art
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/18/99 03:14 PM

Information for Collectibles Insurance Agency is

Box 1200 NYAA
Westminster, MD 21158

Phone 1-888-837-9537
fAX 401-876-9233
email collectinsure@pipeline.con
Web www.collectinsure.com

Rates seem very reasonable
Start at $12. for 3,000 and $198. for 60,000.

Just passing on the info.

Bert

----
To activate the links...

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 10-18-99).]
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/18/99 04:56 PM

Has anyone made an insurance claim for a damaged, lost, stolen Harbour Lights item? Just wondering what your experience was.
Posted By: LamarB

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/18/99 06:14 PM

Good point, St. John. No claims from me, thank goodness. However, before I bought my CIA policy I checked the claims experience with the company doing the actual underwriting (CIA is their agent). I checked with a national industry recognized third-party which specializes in this sort of information (A.M. Best). My inquiry showed excellent claims experience.
Posted By: RRohweder

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/18/99 08:05 PM

St. John -

Don't try to confuse me with the facts. No, I've not filed a claim, and hope not to ever, so have no experience in how quickly or completely they would cover claims. The $52. is cheap for the peace of mind, especially living in earthquake country. I guess I would just have to address it separately if a claim was denied. Only time will tell.

Rich

------------------
Posted By: Firstmate

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/22/99 10:34 AM

Valuable thread! Thanks so much, everyone!

Seattle Sailors
Posted By: youngone

Re: Insurance on HLs - 10/22/99 10:31 PM

Bert,

Thanks for the info on CIA. They are right up the street (sort of) from us. I'll have to give them a call, especially since I just got an Ocracoke.
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Insurance on HLs - 05/03/01 08:41 PM

This hasn't come up in a while and with all the new forum members we've gained, I thought I'd bring it back.

Joanne
Posted By: Bob St. Clair

Re: Insurance on HLs - 05/03/01 10:04 PM

Joanne,

I am one who needs to get some collectors insurance and the rates CIA ofersseem extremely reasonable.

Thanks
Bob

------------------
© 2024 Collector Forums