LighthouseKeepers.com

No chips or scratches?

Posted By: Bob Ott

No chips or scratches? - 04/04/06 12:08 AM

Well folks, this one takes the cake.

Would you believe "This item is in excellent condition with no chips or scratches."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harbour-Lights-Split...1QQcmdZViewItem

How stupid does this seller think we are? I just couldn't believe what I saw.

bobo
Posted By: seagirt

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/04/06 12:24 AM

Thanks Bob...that gave me my eBay chuckle for the day. smile

At least the "Item still has the lightening rod attached to the top"...perhaps barely. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/04/06 12:48 AM

The seller also has a Coquille - which appears to NOT have any chips or scratches. $499 bid by one person so far.
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/04/06 12:55 AM

It may not have any chips or scratches but it sure does have a bad case of peeling paint.
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/04/06 03:14 AM

Maybe the lightning rod is glued on! Wouldn't I love to have that Coquille?!! Such a pretty light.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/04/06 11:32 AM

That Split Rock is a very rare variation with simulated sea gull poop. You guys never heard of that one before?

smile Bob smile
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/04/06 12:26 PM

If someone wanted a split rock this wouldn’t be bad to pick up for $10.
To me it looks like black paint would take care of the top. Harbour Lights use to give out touch-up paint that was great for taking care of situations like this.
Malaysian with a rod is relatively rare with the Split Rock. Only 200 to 300 made.
Posted By: HCS

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/04/06 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
That Split Rock is a very rare variation with simulated sea gull poop. You guys never heard of that one before?

smile Bob smile
Bob - I love your description of the peeling paint!
HCS smile
Posted By: rgurskey

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/04/06 06:31 PM

The same seller has a Big Bay Point Christmas piece which appears to be in very good shape.

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/15/06 01:56 PM

Out of curiosity, did anyone purchase any of the "no chips or scratches" pieces from that seller?

I'm always a little leery of "rubber stamp" descriptions of multiple pieces for sale by the same seller. I've always felt having a description dedicated to one particular piece is more enticing to bid on.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/17/06 01:28 PM

Someone bought the SplitRock for $10

Re: No chips or scratches? - 04/17/06 03:45 PM

Great price for the Split Rock even if he or she has to touch it up for their personal collection. I don't know what it would be worth touched up. Many people won't buy a piece that's been altered.

It makes you wonder how many hundreds, or possibly thousands of pieces that have been touched up or repaired and have passed through several owners without the repair being made known.

I avoid damaged pieces unless it's a slight paint rub-off or microchip.

smile Bob smile
© 2024 Collector Forums