LighthouseKeepers.com

A little TOO shiny?

Posted By: Lou

A little TOO shiny? - 02/01/04 01:48 AM

Does the black on this Southeast Block look a little too shiny and black to anyone besides me?

S.E. Block on Ebay
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: A little TOO shiny? - 02/01/04 04:00 AM

The black does seem to be too dark compared with the other colors -- don't know it that's the photography or what, though.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: A little TOO shiny? - 02/01/04 04:11 AM

I agree the lighthouse top looks like shinny black enamel paint while the roof looks well worn with several white spots showing.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: A little TOO shiny? - 02/01/04 12:42 PM

Southeast Light was the first HL I ever purchased back in the summer of 1994. I knew nothing about collectibles at the time and purchased it because I spend many days each summer at Block Island and wanted a nice momento of the island's lighthouses.

My Southeast Light has been on display for roughly ten years now, and still looks great. The black paint on the lantern room is shiny and there is no flaking or fading.

I just looked at the auction and picture you refer to as "a little too shiny". It is my personal opinion that this picture may have been enhanced by increasing contrast or perhaps modified by hitting the "instant fix" feature of a photo program. I don't think it was done with any malicious intent. I have purchased a couple of HL's from this seller and was satisfied with the deal.

If you need a Southeast Light at a decent price, this may be the piece for you, providing the bids don't go too high.

wink Bob wink
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: A little TOO shiny? - 02/01/04 04:13 PM

Looked at my SE Block Island and my black is pretty shiney and I KNOW it has not been touched up. Really think that it's the picture and not the piece that's playing up the shiney black. Remember, BUYER BEWARE, and this is why EBAY and me are out and the New Marketplace is in.
Posted By: Jazzer

Re: A little TOO shiny? - 02/01/04 04:50 PM

Like the old saying goes "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see". Photographs can be missleading with lighting, angles etc.
Posted By: Jazzer

Re: A little TOO shiny? - 02/01/04 08:22 PM

I did ask the seller several questions regarding the auction.

The biggest detractor for me is that the piece has had quake grip putty attached to the bottom
and rubbing of paint finish but the seller did not know if this rubbing was original or due to age etc.
© 2024 Collector Forums