LighthouseKeepers.com

Coquille River - How badly do you want it?

Posted By: Lou

Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/12/03 06:59 PM

If you're willing to pay (and pay and pay), it's there for the taking. I realize the price isn't that bad, but $900.00 is still a lot of money.

Coquille River on Ebay
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/12/03 07:33 PM

$900 is an awful lot of money for a piece that is not even sculpted correctly.
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/12/03 08:27 PM

If you read the description you'll see that it doesn't have the original box.
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/12/03 10:43 PM

I gotta agree with the Lightkeeper. (Tonge in check mode on) The Glow is much Nicer! (Tonge in cheek mode off) laugh
Posted By: Gebby

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/13/03 01:34 AM

It's gotta have a box for me to even consider spending the money.
Ken
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/13/03 02:28 AM

YOu guys are box-crazy. At about $900, it's a steal without a box.
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/13/03 03:59 AM

Quote:
$900 is an awful lot of money for a piece that is not even sculpted correctly.
Yes it is alot of money.

Then again, consider postal stamps that are not printed correctly. A single US 'inverted Jenny' - a small piece of old paper less than an inch square with a picture of an upside down airplane - recently went at auction for $126,500. That too is alot of money! No doubt the winning bidder bought it because he liked it. g,d&r :-)

T

(PS - JC's right, even in a grocery bag its a steal at that price.)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/13/03 04:56 PM

Quote:
recently went at auction for $126,500
What else can I say.
"a fool and his money are soon departed"
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/14/03 01:22 AM

Sure wish I could have gotten one at $900.00 without a box. I paid $2,200 with a box 6 years ago. Some how I don't think the box is worth $1,300. Bob M. where are you? Here's your chance.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/14/03 11:57 AM

I'm watching it, Rich. I sent the seller an email message about the piece. I told him if I was the high bidder I would like to see the piece before I paid for it to make sure it was as described. He or she lists his or her location as Connecticut. If the piece is as stated, I would pay cash. I wouldn't want to see that pieced shipped and have something happen to it, insured or not insured.

I hope I hear back soon. I leave for Block Island first thing in the morning and will not be by a computer when the auction is about to end.

Whatever is meant to be is meant to be. Time will tell...

smile Bob smile
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/14/03 03:16 PM

I would suspect that $900 is only the starting bid! That doesn't mean that it is the minimum acceptable bid to win the auction...

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/14/03 08:26 PM

Paul, there is no reserve on that piece, so looks like $900 would be a winning bid.

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/14/03 08:40 PM

I thought you had to have a bid on an item before you could tell whether there is a reserve to be met... There is no bid on this lighthouse yet..
Posted By: wheland

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/14/03 09:38 PM

Paul,

The listing would say if there was a reserve on it. If it doesn't say it there is none. The person apparently feels that $900 is a good minimum price for the piece.

Dennis

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/14/03 11:37 PM

I think I agree with Paul. The reserve won't show up until/unless there is a first bid that is lower than the reserve.

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/15/03 12:29 AM

If it is a reserve auction, the words RESERVE NOT MET will show up right after the price with or without a bid being placed. As in this auction..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3237745910&category=11132
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/15/03 01:43 AM

I agree with Eric. If there is a reserve it would show up with or without a bid. This one now has a bid, which I hope is BOBM's and I hope he's the winner. GO BOB!!!

Bert laugh

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/15/03 03:36 AM

I haven't bid yet, Bert. I was hoping I would receive an email from the seller regarding my questions. I'm headed for the Block in the morning so I will probably take a look and maybe take a chance before I leave. I will be on the island when the auction ends so I won't know what happend until I return home.

smile Bob smile

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/15/03 03:37 AM

I stand corrected. Ignore my earlier misinformed post.

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/15/03 12:11 PM

Well kids, ...my bid is in and I'm currently the high bidder. There is no reserve on this piece.

I never heard back from the seller after emailing him or her. They said they would answer any questions within twenty-four hours, but no reply so far.

I'm leaving for Block Island within the hour. I won't be around when the auction ends, so when I do return, I'll either have a complete collection of limited edition HL lighthouses and be a little poorer, or I'll still be missing one but have a lot more money in my pocket.

As one of my favorite singers sang: "Only time will tell..." (Harry Chapin, "Circle")

Have a great weekend, kids!

smile Bob smile

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/15/03 03:42 PM

I stand corrected you can tell how long since I posted something on eBay.. Good Luck Bob!!
Posted By: Larry

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/15/03 08:19 PM

Well, it looks like Bob M will still be missing one. frown

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/17/03 09:09 PM

You're right, Larry! The winning bid was $57 dollars higher than mine. Perhaps if I wasn't out enjoying myself on Block Island, and I would have stayed home, then I might have won. Then again, it could have turned into a bidding war and driven the price up much higher than I wanted to spend.

Congrats to the person that got the HL 111 for a very reasonable price. Think of the bright side! I now have even more money to take with me to the island next Thursday, on "It's Only Money"!

smile Bob smile

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/18/03 12:58 AM

I believe the winning bidder was another long time member of the forums...
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/18/03 01:14 AM

Congratulations to the winner. Hopefully it is for their display. Bob M. seems to be taking it well although the chances of seeing another Coquille at this price may be a long time coming, if ever. I think I would have taken a lap top or found a computer to use if I needed this one piece to finish my collection. What is money if not to spend.
Posted By: Larry

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/18/03 02:00 AM

Sorry you didn't win Bob, but just think...the thrill of the "hunt" goes on.

I also like your "the money I didn't spend is money I can spend" philosophy. laugh
Posted By: smcclure

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/18/03 03:42 PM

I was interested in bidding on this Coquille as well, but when I asked the seller a question and never received a reply, I took it as a bad sign. I was also a bit leary about the seller's lack of experience on eBay. With only ten transactions to his/her name, and ONLY TWO of them as a seller, I decided to steer clear, especially given the high stakes of the auction. Hopefully the buyer will get what he paid for.
Posted By: shiulong

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/18/03 10:19 PM

Sorry you didn't win but at least you still have a goal ahead of you. Something to shoot for and remember the "old" saying "All thing come to he who waits." or something like that. I wish I could have been on Block Island it looked like a great time! laugh laugh

Chuck laugh

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 08/19/03 01:54 AM

You're right, Chuck! "All things do come to those who wait." Whatever is meant to be, is meant to be. Someday my wish will come true.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: JeffMarsh

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 09/17/03 06:37 PM

Just wanted to let everybody know that I received the Coquille upon my return from Seattle. The reason for the delay was mine. The piece arrived in great shape with lightning rod intact, though it could have been protected better. There was a few minor chips along the side but hardly noticeable. The seller didn't have much experience on ebay, but I have dealt with them before in the marketplace. I had no communication problems at all, and they worked with me financially. I am very happy with it and had a replacement tent card and certificate from Harbour Lights waiting.

Sorry Bob. I was actually hoping somebody would outbid me so I could have money for my trip. I was a little stressed, but everything worked out.
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 09/17/03 08:21 PM

That account sounds a little bittersweet Jeff? I'm sure you have a better reaction than that. So update us as it sinks in. I've had a similar experience with Big Bay.
Anyway, Congrats I know you enjoyed the hunt.
Bob

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 09/17/03 09:22 PM

Hi Jeff, ...I should say thank you to you for outbidding me on that particular Coquille. It was my loss on that auction that led my good buddy, Randy, to part with one of his in mint condition in the white Castle Studio box.

I guess we're the latest members to join the IOACRLE Club. If no one else wants to join, I nominate you for President.

All kidding aside, we both got great deals on this very rare and hard to find piece.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: JeffMarsh

Re: Coquille River - How badly do you want it? - 09/18/03 09:23 AM

So what's next on the "Hunting" list? For me, it's a mis-spelled Split Rock, CH-1 (Green tip), and a Burrow's Island (California).

Just a side note- I was never much concerned with Burrows until my recent trip there. I never knew where it was much less that I lived within 12 miles from there for 9 years while in the Navy at Whidbey Island. Once I found out where it was, and that I'd be able to see it from the San Juan ferry dock in Anacortes, which I found out is not true, I had to go see it. You have to be on the ferry or visit a park a few miles down to get a distant view. Anyway, a friend of mine had a boat and we went out to Burrow's Island to get some pictures and a closer look. As we docked the boat, totally trespassing, we were almost immediately being chased off by a government official (Not a Coast Guard person). As we pleaded our story for just a couple shots, one thing led to another, and he actually gave us a tour of the lighthouse. There is alot of history to this lighthouse. It was a great afternoon!!
So now I must own this!!!
© 2024 Collector Forums