LighthouseKeepers.com

Forum/Internet Manners

Posted By: TERRY BARFIELD

Forum/Internet Manners - 04/30/00 10:38 PM

Hi Forum Readers, It has been brought to my attention that I might have offended some readers with my use of all capital letters when I type.I`d very much like to tell everyone,I consider everyone with respect and I`m sorry if I gave the wrong impression. thanks,Terry
Posted By: Brent

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/01/00 03:05 AM

No Problem.....you're amoung friends
Posted By: mombo

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/01/00 03:12 AM

Not to worry Terry. Using all caps is only a misdemeanor!
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/01/00 12:08 PM

THAT'S OKAY, TERRY...NO OFFENSE TAKEN!

Only kidding with the caps. Whatever makes you happy! Many people find it easier to just use uppercase letters. Does anybody know who or how they came up with the fact that using uppercase letters was shouting?

Bob
Posted By: Medicman

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/01/00 06:59 PM

Just remember to stick your right pinky finger out at a 90 degree angle for proper manners while posting a reply
Posted By: Torchbearer

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/01/00 07:11 PM

Who knows Bob. I remember visiting a chat page once, and received the royal fid (for all you Coasties who know what that means) for using all caps. I was told I was shouting. I guess I was ignoring "proper protocol" and "chat room etiquette". I wanted to tell them "GET A LIFE". Shouting intentional of course. LOL

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...
Posted By: SThompson

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/02/00 12:54 AM

Hey Terry, dont worry about it. Who "really" cares how you type? You didn't offend me. Have fun and enjoy.

Sean
Posted By: mghusge

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/02/00 01:11 AM

Hi-Terry, welcome to the forum, looking forward to your post.
Posted By: WisKeeper

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/02/00 05:47 AM

Welcome Terry! Everyone at this forum is unbelievably nice. I have been on internet lists in which people get upset about every little thing. Flame wars break out often. Of course, here flame has a different meaning and people are much kinder.
Posted By: JeffB

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/02/00 02:54 PM

What other online chat will tell you to "Keep the Flame" ? Keep on posting Terry!
Posted By: DeDo

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/02/00 03:27 PM

Hi Terry,

I learned something new with this thread. I had no idea that capitals were offensive to anyone. I've been on the Forums for over a year, but have never been in a chat room. But does a chat room post those kinds of rules?

Your capitilzation didn't bother me or probably most people so keep on posting!

Donna
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/05/00 07:50 AM

Bob & Torch,
All caps are considered shouting because they "jump off the page" at you. It is easier to type all in one case (I sometimes type in all lowercase) but it is more difficult to read a message in all caps. Having looked at Navy message traffic for too many years, I can vouch that reading lots of messages in all caps can be a challenge.

Terry, whoever shared the comment with you appears to have done it "off-line", or via a direct e-mail to you. No one was picking on you, just offering a suggestion. You will find that everyone is welcome here, and we enjoy all the posts from each forum participant. Keep on posting and sharing your thoughts with us!

Dave
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Forum/Internet Manners - 05/05/00 05:42 PM

My email to Terry prompted this thread - and was not intended to offend Terry or anyone else. ALL CAPS is just one of those 'netiquette' things. I find all caps hard to read and passed along the information to Terry.

He's asked me to close this thread -- which I'm doing.
© 2024 Collector Forums