LighthouseKeepers.com

"Crossed the bar"

Posted By: anniemac

"Crossed the bar" - 12/28/05 02:07 AM

My Dad, Bill McElligott, passed away last Monday, December 19. He was 78. He grew to love lighthouses, and did some volunteer work at Jupiter Light in the 1990's - until he was in too much pain to stand up straight. His last lighthouse adventure was with the US Lighthouse Society to Green Bay and Door County Wisconsin in 2002. Although he could hardly walk, he climbed lighthouses like a teenager.

I got him started collecting Harbour Lights when the original Assateague mold was discovered to be broken; he traveled "far and wide" to find two original Assateagues for me...and he was hooked from that point forward.

Anne
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/28/05 02:28 AM

Anne,

I am so very sorry for your loss. May the Good Lord give him the best possible place in Heaven.

bobo
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/28/05 02:56 AM

Anne, you have wonderful and beautiful memories of your father. Thank you for sharing your memories with us; I know they will be of great solace to you.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/28/05 03:17 AM

Anne, sounds like a great guy to me.

Quote:
Although he could hardly walk, he climbed lighthouses like a teenager.
I hope they can say this about me when I go over the bar.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/28/05 05:01 AM

Anne,

It sounds as if your father enjoyed a full life, and lived it to the fullest as long as possible. Sounds as if you contributed to his "delinquency" by causing his Harbour Lights addiction,

You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: mombo

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/28/05 07:43 AM

So sorry to hear about you're losing your Dad, Anne. But it sure sounds like you have lots of great memories of him. Lighthouses have a way of creating special memories for us to enjoy, separately and together. smile
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/28/05 03:25 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. Remember the memories you have of your father and dwell on those during this time of sorrow.
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/28/05 03:39 PM

We too are sorry to hear about your loss!
We'll keep you and your father and your family in our prayers!
Posted By: fra02441

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/29/05 12:03 AM

I am sorry for your loss. The pain will fade but the memories will live strong forever.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/29/05 02:49 AM

Anne, ...Lorna and I would like to add our condolences to the many replies above. It is extremely tough to lose a family member at any age. Although your Dad led a full life to 78 years or age, it still can be consider young by today's standard. My Dad will be 89 in February and he's still doing good.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Lorna & Bob M.
Posted By: wheland

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/29/05 04:54 PM

Anne,

I'm sorry to read about your loss. I can feel it as well- my Mother who went with us on several Lighthouse trips passed away in September.

I try and think of the pleasant memories from her time with us. She was 84 and tried never to slow down but it finally caught up with her.

I'm glad you could share your interest in Lighthouses with your Father.

Dennis
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: "Crossed the bar" - 12/29/05 06:08 PM

Anne, Sue and my thoughts and prayers are with you through this time..

As you might have read here in the forums I recently lost my mom who went with us on several lighthousing trips after my father passed away.. After she couldn't make the trips with us, I tried to take her along via the internet and more recently the forums.. We just finished clearing out her things and closing her cottage yesterday at the Methodist retirement center..

Mom paid for my first Harbour Lights, Currituck Lighthouse after having visited that lighthouse earlier that morning on a lighthousing trip in 1996.
© 2024 Collector Forums