LighthouseKeepers.com

Hurricane Gordon

Posted By: Joanne

Hurricane Gordon - 09/17/00 09:44 PM

Thoughts and prayers go out to Derith, Weasel58 and the members of the Tampa HL Club. Hopefully Hurricane Gordon will not cause any damage and will come and go quickly.

Joanne
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Hurricane Gordon - 09/18/00 12:30 AM

Things are looking better.

You can follow Hurricanes through NOAA at: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Here's a local statement for Tampa Bay area indicating Gordon is downgraded to tropical storm: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/WTUS82-KTBW.html
Posted By: Nana

Re: Hurricane Gordon - 09/18/00 12:30 AM

Thank You Joanne,

It appears as tho' Gordon has brought us some much needed sod soaking rain. I have lots of trees in my yard but we had very little wind so we feel very blessed. Our house is on one of the highest areas of Hillsbourough County so we didn't experience any flooding.

I am very concerned about little Cedar Key lighthouse, tho'. From the latest reports, Gordon is going to give that area a solid hit sometime tonight. There won't be anyone out there, lonely little island, to know what damage is done. Hopefully it will be mentioned by news reporteres when they give the 'after the fact news' about Cedar Key, the town, tomorrow.
Derith
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Hurricane Gordon - 09/18/00 03:45 AM

Hurricane Gordon? Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, but wasn't impressed in the least. If this is Florida's idea of a hurricane, they don't know much about storms. Around my place there was a little wind damage to some trees, and the Canal out back got up even with the top of the seawall when it was at it's maximum surge. I do know that the main road was awash about a mile east of my place. Other than that it was a major non-event for my neighborhood.
Posted By: Torchbearer

Re: Hurricane Gordon - 09/18/00 07:54 PM

Here in Gainesville, FL doing some work, and had nothing more than a few days of rain and some light wind. I have been in stronger squalls than this. I'm certainly glad Gordon didn't amount to anything!!

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...
Posted By: JeffB

Re: Hurricane Gordon - 09/21/00 05:43 PM

Derith and Weasel...
Send us some of the rain!!! PLEASE!!!!

82 days without, and counting
© 2024 Collector Forums