LighthouseKeepers.com

The Future of Anchor Bay

Posted By: Brent

The Future of Anchor Bay - 11/17/00 04:00 AM

I am a collector of Anchor Bay models but I have a "secret" that I must share, and that is that I have never paid "retail" for anyone of them. To be honest with you if I had to pay the +/- $170 apiece for'em I probably wouldn't own any. Looking at what I've paid over the past couple of years I'd say that I averaged about $80 for each....which leads me to my question.
Is there anything that HL can do to get the price "down" so that they can be more marketable....without reducing the quality?
Understand, I didn't lower the price....in most cases the dealer's just wanted to move them off the shelves....and they set the price. The five AB's that I own came from five different dealers.
I don't expect the AB's to sell in the same price-range as the LE's but....is it possible to get them down to a more affordable price....say, in the $100-135 range?
I think (IMHO) that I speak for alot of people when I say that "there isn't but so much money to go around in any given year [for HL's, AB's, etc.] and while the AB's are extremely nice, at the normal retail of about $170 ea., to alot of folks, they are simply too expensive. I'm sure this has to be a concern of HL, as well.
Posted By: mombo

Re: The Future of Anchor Bay - 11/17/00 05:44 AM

Maybe if you would be willing to sacrifice the glass case. Depending on the type of boat produced, maybe it would not be absolutely necessary. Or a case could be sold separately for those who want one?

I have only two and paid $50 each but would never have paid the retail for them.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: The Future of Anchor Bay - 11/17/00 01:27 PM

I have all the Anchor Bay Boats with the exception of the Columbia and the Portsmouth. The only boat I paid retail for was the US Coast Guard boat. I won the Huron at the 1998 reunion and that's what got me started. All of the others were purchased for under $100.

Bob
Posted By: rynomatt

Re: The Future of Anchor Bay - 11/17/00 03:51 PM

I have three AB's and I paid under 50.00 for them at a stores sidewalk sale!! I couldn't pass them up at that price! Now I wish I has more, but paying the retail price- is way too much for me.
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: The Future of Anchor Bay - 11/17/00 04:06 PM

Seems to be a common theme, not paying retail for Anchor Bay's. I have two L.E.'s , but got them both for 50% off. I only collect the ones I've seen, so I don't have a desire to own all of them, but even so, I waited until I saw them on sale before buying them. $170.00 each is to rich for my blood, when you can get 2 or 2 1/2 L.E. lighthouses for the price of each ship. Eliminating the display case would save money, and if I heard right, there was talk of doing just that. I personally like the cases, because then I can display them on their own and save cabinet space, but I'm sure I could find another way if I had to.
Posted By: Jack Wilson

Re: The Future of Anchor Bay - 11/17/00 09:58 PM

I have two AB that I was able to pick up for 50% off. I think it is a great line and would like to see it continue. I would not object to selling the glass case seperately in order to reduce the cost, but I think the case should be made available. I display my ABs in a different room from my HLs and would like to keep all my ABs in their cases.

Jack
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: The Future of Anchor Bay - 11/20/00 05:30 AM

I paid full price for all the light ships and the coast guard cutter. But my reward is that I have all matching number “46” except for the Chesapeake.. Have no interest in the others. I have even seen the rest for 70% off and they still didn’t interest me. I even past up buying three of the rare open additions.

I love the lightships and will buy everyone that A.B. comes out with.

Daniel
© 2024 Collector Forums