LighthouseKeepers.com

Great Lakes Ships or Ocean Liners?

Posted By: Jake

Great Lakes Ships or Ocean Liners? - 12/23/99 08:14 PM

What would you guys think if they did Great Lakes Ships or maybe a Transatlantic Ocean Liner or two? If anyone wants names, I can give 'em!

Jakers
Posted By: Digger

Re: Great Lakes Ships or Ocean Liners? - 12/24/99 01:57 PM

Great Lakes ships would be my choice as long as they start with the "Griffon".
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Great Lakes Ships or Ocean Liners? - 12/24/99 02:42 PM

A problem with lake boats and transatlantic liners is their proportion. For them to be detailed, they'd need to be LONG. Not quite as long as Navesink is wide, but not far from that. And they'd be HEAVY as heck if they were cold cast.

There are some more Coast Guard boats that could be done - cutters, ice-breakers, buoy and lighthouse tenders, lightships.
Posted By: Mike Thompson

Re: Great Lakes Ships or Ocean Liners? - 12/24/99 05:52 PM

I agree with John about the Coast Guard boats, especially the icebreakers. I served on 3 during my career (Southwind, Edisto & Northwind) and would love to have a nice replica of any one of them. The Northwind is sitting in the reserve fleet on the James River in Virginia just in case someone needs to take some measurements (hint, hint).
Posted By: Jake

Re: Great Lakes Ships or Ocean Liners? - 12/24/99 05:54 PM

But John, the Milwaukee Clipper is only 361 feet long! Couldn't she be done easily?

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=64226&a=466724&p=13339422&Sequence=1[/img]

But do you really think that the freighters would be the much of a

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=64226&a=466724&p=13341059&Sequence=1[/img]

STRETCH?

Jakers
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Great Lakes Ships or Ocean Liners? - 12/24/99 06:33 PM

>>The Northwind is sitting in the reserve fleet on the James River in Virginia just in case someone needs to take some measurements (hint, hint).<<

No doubt serving in the worthy cause of preventing any ice-cubes from getting to the British while keeping them bottled up at Yorktown. (vbg)
Posted By: Mike Thompson

Re: Great Lakes Ships or Ocean Liners? - 12/25/99 12:19 AM

>>No doubt serving in the worthy cause of preventing any ice-cubes from getting to the British while keeping them bottled up at Yorktown. (vbg)<<

Must be working, huh?
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: Great Lakes Ships or Ocean Liners? - 12/28/99 10:16 PM

Why limit ourselves to just these two areas. Imagine an anchor bay reproduction of Old Ironsides at full sail. Perhaps the Mighty Missouri as it rests at an anchor in Pearl Harbour.
There are many ships that could be reproduced that have a great
history to the US.
© 2024 Collector Forums