LighthouseKeepers.com

Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship?

Posted By: Bob M

Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 10/30/03 05:18 PM

I was just curious to see how many forumites purchased the Nantucket LS.

If you did, please let us know. If you didn't, let us know why.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Bill Harnsberger

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 10/30/03 06:31 PM

I passed on it for 2 reasons, neither having to do with the quality of the sculpture itself (it's nice):

1) I have the Chesapeake and the Huron (they're the two lightships I've actually visited in real life), and they fill the bill for me in terms of representation of lightships in my collection.

2) The lack of a display case bothers me. Breakage is an issue, but for me it's mainly the dust. Cleaning a ship sculpture---with its delicate rigging---is something I don;t want to take on. I see the amount of dust that accumulates on top of my Chesapeake and Huron, and I'm thankful to have the impermeable protection of the case.
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 10/30/03 06:45 PM

I purchased it as I love ships in general as well as Lighthouses obviously. It sits in our curio cabinet along with other releases from this year.
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 10/30/03 07:21 PM

I purchased the Nantucket, after procrastinating on starting ANY Anchor Bay.

But I love lightships & Life Saving Stations, as they all were intertwined with lighthouses...doing the same job. In real life, I've visited the Chesapeake, the Portsmouth, and Overfalls.

So...now I need to find Chesapeake & Portsmouth to purchase!

Frankly...I wish the first ones were not in those awful cases.

And I don't DO Curios! :rolleyes: eek

Judy smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 10/30/03 07:39 PM

I purchased this one. My first Anchor Bay. The $75 price had quite a bit to do in my decision to buy this. Another factor was that it is a New England piece.
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 10/30/03 10:35 PM

I purchased it!

My two reasons:

1. It was a New England piece.
2. It is very well done.

Just couldn't pass on this one.

Bert smile
Posted By: Shortcake

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 10/31/03 03:15 AM

Yes, I purchased my Nantucket LS. just this past weekend at the Kim event in Jacksonville.
smile
. ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ Stephanie -:¦:-..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 10/31/03 03:29 AM

I got it, I have the other lightships, so I had to get it. Know I'm thinking about finding a glass case to display it in.
Posted By: mombo

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 10/31/03 05:23 AM

Nope, haven't got it. I like Bill have the Chesapeake and the Huron. Have seen the Chesapeake, not the Huron. Have seen the Nantucket, this Nanucket, aka Nan 2, aka WLV 613 twice so it would be a neat one to have. Now I haven't seen the HL Nantucket in person, could be one reason I don't have it.

I like the glass cases and only have the two I have because I got a real deal on them. One idea if you're short a case for this one would be to rotate the lightships so that the caseless ship wouldn't accumulate excess dust?

My Huron's been out of it's case, in a barrister bookcase, for a long time as I replaced it with my Sisters Island AP. I just checked it and it wasn't dusty at all. I blew on it for good measure and didn't get a faceful of dust so I'm happy with it where it is! smile
Posted By: Shortcakes better half

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 11/02/03 03:27 PM

My wife bought it (see above). We now have 3 Lightships. And looking farward to more in the future.
Posted By: LADYBUG

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 11/02/03 09:06 PM

I purchased it for my husband since he has all the other lightships. We were disappointed it did not come with the case and purchased a "shipjack" off ebay rather inexpensively just for the case; all I have to do now is do a new brass plate.
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 11/02/03 09:13 PM

I bought it as I have all the lightships and Coast Guard vessels. I have them all under a glass case as I bought a bunch of Chesapeake, Huron and Portsmouth Anchor Bays at 50% off and used the glass cases for the Anchor Bays that don't have them. I sold the unused lightships on the Forum for $25.00 each. I then had brass plates made up for the Anchor Bays that I put under the glass cases.

I'll have to start looking around for more 50% off sales as I've only got 2 cases left.
Posted By: TDSimpson

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 11/03/03 03:09 AM

I purchased the Nantucket and now have three lightships and three Coast Guard ships.
Posted By: RIP Puls

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 11/07/03 03:01 AM

I got mine and I just love the Lightships.
Posted By: Jazzer

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 11/15/03 04:08 PM

With the case it would have been a purchase consideration otherwise NO !
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 11/15/03 04:55 PM

Yep, Nantucket comes with no case. I'm not so sure it needs one. I don't believe it is as delicate as the first lightships that did come with cases...and cost a heck of a lot more because of the packaging.

I just picked mine up again after reading Lonnie's post...it's a pretty sturdy little fellow.

And I've said before, anything inside a curio cabinet is still subject to dust.

IMHP! smile

Judy
Posted By: Brent

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 11/15/03 05:41 PM

It is the ONLY Anchor-Bay Lightship that I don't have. But, I do plan on getting it sometime soon.
Posted By: Hal Dean

Re: Did you purchase the Nantucket Lightship? - 11/16/03 09:02 AM

I just purchased it today # 294 and it is very detailed and really like it. Since I was stationed on lightship duty when I was in the Coast Guard I can see a lot of things that it has on it that really were on lightships. I think this is the best of all the lightships that have been made so far. Hal
© 2024 Collector Forums