LighthouseKeepers.com

Fort Gratiot Michigan - Your prints have come.

Posted By: Webmaster

Fort Gratiot Michigan - Your prints have come. - 07/03/00 07:57 AM

Another great Harbour Lights sculpture (and one of my PERSONAL favorites), Fort Gratiot Lighthouse located in Port Huron Michigan.

Paul shot these detail photos at Rosemont and you can read a bit of history on the new catalog page:

www.HarbourLights.com/catalog/2000/hl_fort_gratiot.htm
Posted By: Rusty

Re: Fort Gratiot Michigan - Your prints have come. - 07/03/00 04:03 PM

Thanks for the pictures. Good looking lighthouse. But I got a question. Is that ladder for access to something or is it just there leaning up against the light?

Rusty
Posted By: Bill Harnsberger

Re: Fort Gratiot Michigan - Your prints have come. - 07/03/00 05:08 PM

Looks like Harbour Lights has "paint-canned" another light. Fort Gratiot is notorious for its flaky paint...usually it has brown flecks all over it. I believe those are paint cans at the bottom of the ladder, indicating that the Sherwin Williams Elf had visited recently.
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: Fort Gratiot Michigan - Your prints have come. - 07/03/00 08:25 PM

You know I never thought of Michigan as having so many lighthouses till I started reading the posts here. The picture on the HL home page that Zaida took is beautiful. My husband & I plan to make a trip next year to the lighthouses of Michigan. When the time gets closer I will be asking for advise on the best way to see them all.
Ruthie
Posted By: Todd Shorkey

Re: Fort Gratiot Michigan - Your prints have come. - 07/04/00 12:02 AM

Here is a photo of mine that shows what Bill is talking about: The flaky paint.

This is a digital photo of one of my my prints, so the quality is not that good. I think you will get the idea though.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=45392&a=337168&p=23714123[/img]

-Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey (edited 07-03-2000).]
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Fort Gratiot Michigan - Your prints have come. - 07/04/00 12:10 AM

Fort Gratiot was painted in 1999 - just before it's birthday, as I recall. So it's pretty white now. We'll see how much flaking happens in the next few years.

In my collection of sculptures of Fort Gratiot (11 by 8 different makers), only one attempts to show it as a combination of white and pink (brick). Maybe the 3 (different sizes) by Lefton do too, but it's hard to say from their rather rough texture.

Incidently only one shows it with the keepers quarters. (Spoontiques)

These will, of course, all take a back seat when HL253 arrives this August.

www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum5/HTML/000170.html

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 07-03-2000).]
Posted By: RRohweder

Re: Fort Gratiot Michigan - Your prints have come. - 07/05/00 03:11 AM

What do you mean "Keeper's Quarters" John? That was my house in 72-73 (or at least half of it). It's a duplex for Coast Guard Station crewmembers now.

Rich

------------------
© 2024 Collector Forums