LighthouseKeepers.com

New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2

Posted By: Dave H

New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/27/02 05:23 AM

The last post in the original thread:
Quote:
Originally posted by fl_light:
gee, I'm beginning to think I made a mistake ordering these through LHD. I haven't checked the local dealers yet but I'm stuck with the Depot anyhow. I don't think I'll do that again. I put my order in back in Mid November...Anybody else having the same problem that ordered from LH Depot?

You can find the original thread here .

Dave
Posted By: WisKeeper

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/27/02 09:29 AM

I ordered from LHD in October via the internet before I got home from the Reunion. I received my lenses on Tuesday 4/22/02. I stopped in at my local dealer on Friday and they still have not received them.

Suzanne

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Murphy (edited 04-27-2002).]
Posted By: Bob M

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/27/02 11:16 AM

Both the new lenses and Hendricks were delivered to my home yesterday afternoon. I haven't had a chance to open them yet but probably will later today after work.

Bob
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/27/02 05:31 PM

Let's not pick on Lighthouse Depot. They receive a certain number of autoship pieces as do many, but not all other dealers.

Those who ordered earliest from any dealer would be the ones to receive the pieces that arrive earliest at that dealer.

The balance of the two different fresnels are expected to ship to dealers in mid-May.

Probably by the end of May, depending on dealers shipping practices, those who have pieces on order from any dealer should receive theirs.

If you have not reserved one or both Fresnels, check around at dealers. You will probably find some unspoken for at dealers.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/27/02 11:01 PM

I ordered mine from LHD is Mid November also, fl_light. I called them this week, and John is totally correct. They got a limited number and sent them to the earliest orders. Only fair. The rest should be on the way soon.

Fortuately, I also ordered a second set early from another dealer - an he tells me he has shipped and I sould receive on Mon.

Roger

[This message has been edited by R Stam (edited 04-27-2002).]
Posted By: fl_light

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/28/02 04:01 AM

JChidester-
don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking Lighthouse Depot. I just thought I was getting a jump by ordering through LHD so early. My luck was not to get in on the first autoship but as I said earlier they assure me I will have mine in June (LHD gets autoship in mid-May as you say, I had already checked.) I am just surprised that so many people are finding them on there dealers shelves. I'll be getting a late b-day present instead of a X-mas present.
Posted By: JoanieO

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/28/02 05:33 AM

Got a call from my dealer - my two lenses are waiting for me. Picking them up on Monday. Can't wait. Have been reading all your posts about "lit" and "unlit" and can't wait to see what you all are talking about.
JoanieO

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/28/02 02:03 PM

WOW and DOUBLE WOW!!!

I just removed the two new lenses from their respective boxes. What a fantastic discovery! These new pieces are unbelievable!

They are magnificient! They will be headed for the main curio, top shelf, front and center!

These won't last long at dealers. They look like they should cost at least three times more than what I paid.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Harbour Lights!

Bob

P.S. What is an EM-3 battery? Is it a standard size available where better batteries are sold?
Posted By: Tom and Joyce Abbott

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/28/02 02:45 PM

Bob,
This is the Japanese equivalent of a AA battery.

------------------
Tom & Joyce

[This message has been edited by Tom and Joyce Abbott (edited 04-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Tom and Joyce Abbott (edited 04-28-2002).]

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/28/02 08:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Tom & Joyce! I couldn't recall ever seeing an "EM-3" battery. Now that I know they're "AA's", I'll be in business.

Bob
Posted By: anniemac

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/29/02 02:33 AM

I'm not on an autoship from a dealer, and my dealer was very "OK" with the fact that I ordered from LHD - she knew she'd have more requests that could easily be obtained, and I guess it'll keep more people happy.

I've ordered MANY lighthouses from LHD, and they're easy to work with. I had one that I had to return (tiny chip) and they were EXCELLENT! very quick and easy return process...and I didn't have to wait for my dealer to "try" to get another one from HL. I have nothing but praise for LHD!
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/29/02 03:34 AM

LHD is an encellent company to deal with. Everything that I have ordered from them has been top notch, however, the only complaint that I've ever had with them is they overcharge for shipping stuff so they are always my last resort for ordering. They should ship by weight instead of $ value.

Rich
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/29/02 04:01 AM

Don't feel bad fl_light about not receiving yours yet. I am on a autoshipment and haven't recieved mine yet.

Daniel
Posted By: shiulong

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/29/02 04:10 AM

I ordered from the dealer my daughter works for and have not recieved mine yet. They will come and until then I tease my daughters boss' about where they are in the HL food chain and what great connections they have. They have only been an HL dealer for 3 yrs so their supply of retired LE is almost nil, nope change that, it is nil.

But everything comes to he who waits or something like that.

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon
Posted By: Randy Kremer

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/29/02 07:23 PM

They finally made it to Cincinnati and it was worth the wait! Excellent detail at a reasonable price! All three look great sitting together in the curio! Having them to be able to light up is an added bonus!

WELL DONE ONCE AGAIN HARBOUR LIGHTS!!!
Posted By: Rock

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/29/02 07:28 PM

I'm NOT on autoship but received my pair (w/matching nos. 439) last Friday, thanks to a dealer who takes good care of me...prefer the steady glow of the beehive to the blinking clamshell, but both look great.

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 01:16 AM

Rock, I think it's sharp that one blinks and one has a steady glow! Now we need one that has a rotating beacon! That would be something! If anyone can make it happen, this company can!
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 02:28 AM

My dealer's message about the arrival of the Fresnels was on the answer machine when I got home! If they've made it to Planet Fresnel yours can't be far behind!

__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 04-29-2002).]
Posted By: lmyhre

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 02:42 AM

I picked up mine over the weekend. Just to correct an earlier post, the batteries required are AAA, not AA. Two batteries are needed for each light.

Larry
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 03:26 AM

I haven't received mine yet, but I guess I can go out and get the batteries!

Looking forward to these two after hearing all the comments. I've got a place reserved for them, top shelf!

Bert
Posted By: Shortcake

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 03:55 AM

My Autoship arrived today from my dealer. And yes I too have nothing but praise for the Fresnel Lens. I love both of them!

And they do take AA batteries.

Stephanie
Posted By: Tom and Joyce Abbott

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 04:22 AM

We'll stay with our earlier post. Both of our Fresnels take AA batteries. Maybe we have a variation.

------------------
Tom & Joyce

[This message has been edited by Tom and Joyce Abbott (edited 04-29-2002).]
Posted By: Larry

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lmyhre:
Just to correct an earlier post, the batteries required are AAA, not AA.

I think you may have a variation!
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 04:55 PM

The batteries in mine are AA and the one's in the AP's were AA.....
Posted By: Kyujin

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 05:13 PM

So is there a chance that there are lens that use AAA?
Posted By: Lightseeker

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 06:27 PM

In mine, AA batteries fit - snugly - and work. But the springs that hold them in place are pretty long. My guess is that if someone inserted AAA's, there'd be enough contact that they might work too. But being smaller, they wouldn't last as long; and being a loose fit, they probably wouldn't work as well.

I don't have any AAA's around, or I'd test this theory.

Bruce

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 04/30/02 09:42 PM

All this talk about AA or AAA, so I tried them both and they both work! I can't think of anything that I have ever bought where you could use either/or!
Posted By: mombo

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/01/02 04:03 AM

The AA's fit but as stated it's a snug fit. Had to really force one of them in. Guess it is the long spring thing!

Now these are nice pieces but it sure would have been easier if the on/off switch had been placed on the side of the base instead of the bottom, especially with how we have a two part item here. I tried to position them both so that the switches were in the same location but still find myself grabbing one of the little feet instead.

It's really neat how that tiny bulb makes the tall light in the 3rd order lens. Guess that's the nature of the beast! But to see it properly you really need to look at it at eye level.

Now we need some sort of adapter for the original lens as it just sort of sits there doing nothing!
Posted By: LightHog_dup1

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/01/02 04:36 AM

WOW Yep, the Big Brown Truck deposited 2 new fresnels on my doorstep today.

FANTASTIC- Even got matching #'s. Not as good a ROCK, but I'm happy with 1615.

Randy, I agree, we need one that rotates/blinks now. How about the Second Order from White Shoal, now residing at Whitefish Point?

Mombo, The switch location definately could have been more convient - I hate getting fingerprints on the lens by handling it. I've tried for the last year to figure out how to light the Fifth Order, but with the solid lens mould it seems impossible. Has anyone come up with a with a solution?

Sure glad today was Christmas.

Roger

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/01/02 11:34 AM

Isn't it amazing that we have products from Harbour Lights that actually light up? Everyone should remember to remove their batteries when the lens isn't going to be lit for a lengthy period of time. Batteries can corrode over time and spoil the compartment they are in.

The fresnel lenses were something the collectors at the CF asked for. Harbour Lights listened and gave us what we wanted. I'm sure there will be more lenses to follow.

Thank you, Harbour Lights!

Bob
Posted By: capelookout

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/01/02 05:58 PM

Here's the info for the flasher bulbs. They worked great in the beehive. Bulbman, Inc. 1-800-648-1163, bulb #406, 2.6V, .3AMP, E-10 base, flasher, $1.84 Ea. There is a minimum $5.00 S&H charge. They have a web site, but the bulb was not listed.

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/02/02 05:45 AM

capelookout,

Thanks for sharing your research with us. I'm sure several will order the bulbs. Maybe they can pool their orders, given the pretty steep shipping & handling fee.

Dave

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/02/02 03:28 PM

Does anyone care to guess what might be next in the "lens" department? Will there ever be a first-order lens produced and if there is how big would that "baby" be?!?!

A rotating light in one would be great!

Talk about some thick glass in the curio! (LOL)
Posted By: mombo

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/02/02 03:59 PM

Thanks capelookout! Do you know if they have the steady bulb also and/or what the specs. for it are? Maybe these bulbs are also available in craft stores. Wouldn't hurt to look around and maybe avoid the shipping charges.

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/02/02 08:36 PM

Your welcome, Mombo. Haven't checked for the regular bulb, but I'll be glad to. While I was searching for the flasher, I forgot I also needed headlights for the vacuum. The regular bulb will be more common, and like you say, might be found somewhere like Radio Shack. The flasher bulb is a candidate for "In Search Of"

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/02/02 08:53 PM

Don't forget to check Retired@Retail at www.HarbourLights.com if you don't have your Fresnels yet. I know there are sources there for them.

You'll also find others such as Eldred Rock, Panama Sets, Sister Island.

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/02/02 11:05 PM

I just saw the clam shell and the beehive today. Is the clam shell made of plastic? The one I saw seemed to be, but the beehive was glass. Am I wrong here?

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/02/02 11:16 PM

You are WRONG. Both of the 'lenses' are made of acrylic. Sorry.
Posted By: lmyhre

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/03/02 02:15 AM

I think they're designed to take a AA1/2. Try to find one of those.(LOL)

Larry

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/03/02 03:46 PM

Was the HL631 made of glass?

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/03/02 04:13 PM

The original 5th order Fresnel 'glass' was made of clear resin.

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/03/02 09:40 PM

Mombo,
The regular bulb is #14 from Bulbman,Inc. Found it online, but no price listed. Same
specs as flasher.
Posted By: Stainz

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/04/02 12:54 AM

Are the brass parts of the lenses actually brass, or some other metal, or is it just painted acrylic? The ones on my dealer's shelf appeared cloudy in the lens area. One dealer 'bumped' the prices a tad...

Thanks!

Stainz
Posted By: oseabee

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/04/02 03:06 AM

Hope I have 3 more lights to display when I get home.Bill O'Brien In Nova Scotia
Posted By: JoanieO

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/04/02 06:57 PM

PIcked up both fresnel lenses last Monday. They are in my curio on either side of the original HL fresnel lens. They sure do look nice. Also picked up Race Rock. Thanks for reminding me to take out the batteries to prevent damage from corrosion.
JoanieO

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/06/02 05:34 AM

Stainz,

Believe the metal work on the lenses is a plating on some variety of metal. The hold up on delivery was because they were having a difficult time getting acceptable plating done.

Dave
Posted By: Rock

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/06/02 03:28 PM

The red-and-white paneled 1st order jewel at Umpqua River, Oregon would be perfect for HL's next lens.

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/07/02 06:47 AM

Now that would be a great one for HL to make! It would be a new challenge for them.

Another neat one would be the clam shell at Point Vicente.

Dave

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/07/02 07:30 AM

I stand corrected. The clear part of the lenses is actual clear resin, not the same as acrylic.

The brass is a plating -- awaiting an answer to the type of metal is under the plating.

John
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/07/02 02:41 PM

I would think the metal is steel and probably first plated with nickel then plated with brass.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it but the beehive lens is so precise that it even creates a focal plane.

Re: New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2 - 05/07/02 06:18 PM

Is there some sort of clear coat over the plating so we'll never have to work about polishing the "green" away?

Bob
© 2024 Collector Forums