Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 06:14 AM

HL356 Crown Point Lighthouse Close-ups

HL357 Cedar Point Lighthouse Close-ups

HL358 Windmill Point Lighthouse Close-ups

HL359 HL359 Bristol Ferry Lighthouse Close-ups
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 06:18 AM

Fabulous pictures, terrific detail, well defined seahorse!! Another brilliant HL piece! applaud
Posted By: Bob M

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 01:01 PM

Paul, your pictures bring out some amazing detail on the Waukegan Harbor HL. One thing that did surprise me was the change in the standard format for the flag with the HL's name and flag#.

Another thing that came to mind when I was looking at your pictures of Waukegan Harbor was the fact that your photos could sell more of each model if only the general public to see them. The members of the CF get to see your work first hand and I'm sure your photos influence many members to buy.

From a distance, most replicas look nice and different manufacturers' work looks similar. The trick is to get the buying public to stop and look at the detail and workmanship. I wonder if Harbour Lights would consider experimenting with detailed photo displays or flyers that could be made available when a new release hits the dealer's shelves. In my opinion, such advertising work could lead to quicker sellouts, and create more of a demand for HL's. It wouldn't have to be done with every new release, but once you "set the hook" it's a lot easier to reel the fish in.

Great work, as usual, Paul!

smile Bob smile
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 03:04 PM

Good point Bob.
Maybe Lighthouse depot should take a page in their magazine and just show all the details on one of the new releases. Each issue of the magazine could print Paul’s pictures of the featured new Harbour Light. This could also give Paul some hand money for those snowy days ahead.
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 03:53 PM

Great photo's Paul, Thank You !!!

I really like this piece. It was already a definate purchase before I seen Paul's pics. I like how the flag is done and hope more flags are done this way.

This piece is also a lost (or Gone But Not Forgotten) lighthouse. I have a soft spot for these.
Posted By: Roland Babineau

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 04:09 PM

It's really ironic you should mention that, Bob, because I was thinking the exact same thing for my website.
Paul, I would like permission to add your closeups to my web pages for these lighthouses. How would I go about doing that?
I think it would be a fantastic addition for my customers and would pretty much solve the problem for those who like to "touch and feel" the pieces. It would give those customers who don't have an HL dealer in their neighborhood a way to really get an idea of what these pieces are all about. It also would help distinguish these pieces from other collectible companies, as Bob succinctly observed, and justify to customers who are not familiar with HL's just why the cost is so much more than the others. It would be a GREAT selling tool!
Posted By: 5lights

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 05:05 PM

Thanks for the fantastic(as usual!) close ups of this piece.

I was toying with the idea of maybe purchasing this one. After seeing the great detail...it's a MUST purchase!

I agree with the guys. If more people could see these close-ups...I think Harbour Lights would probably sell more.

I really like the flag on this piece! It adds interest to it and definitely goes well.
Another job well done Paul! applaud
Posted By: rscroope

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 05:46 PM

Paul, this has got to be a lot of fun for you to do. You certainly capture the artistry of each piece. You have a great eye for detail. I can feel 'Bill's Harbour Lights dust' through the photos.
Bob

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 06:50 PM

When Rich and I had the ELL displayed at the ST Augustine festival, we had the Paint Sample in a glass display, to keep people from picking it up. So Collectors could appreciate the ELL’s details, we set Pauls blow-up pictures all around it.
Posted By: sandy

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 07:34 PM

When did CF members decide it was okay for dealers to advertise on the Forums? I wasn't asked to participate in a vote and I think I've been a member long enough to have been polled.

Sandy

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 08:43 PM

Roland for the time being just post a link to the thread featuring the close-up images in the Forums..

That way they can see the images and it will let them know about the Forums as a bonus..
Posted By: Dave H

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 09:17 PM

That sounds like a good idea. The classic win-win for the CF and for any dealer that wants to post a link. We can always accomodate new members, and hopefully we could help get them excited about collecting which will also help their dealer.
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 09:48 PM

Those photographs are fantastic! The details are fascinating!

Fancy having a fishing rod WITH LINE on a lighthouse model... Brilliant!

Thanks for showing us those pictures Paul! They will definitely make a difference to my buying-decisions! They'll improve my willingness to raid my piggy bank no end! wink
Posted By: Roland Babineau

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/04/08 10:46 PM

I'm very happy to post the link. It's a great idea.
Sandy, if you are alluding to me advertising here, that isn't my intention, and I've been trying to be very careful NOT to do that. As I've said before, the reason why I'm here is to learn from the collectors and perhaps provide a totally different perspective on the subjects discussed here. Hopefully, I can return the favor by sharing some of my knowledge with the members. My intention is to share ideas, and if those ideas help promote HL, then it's a win-win for ALL of us.
If everyone feels that I am not adding to the quality of the discussions here, then I will gracefully and respectfully bow out.
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/05/08 01:28 AM

Quote:
If everyone feels that I am not adding to the quality of the discussions here, then I will gracefully and respectfully bow out.
Roland,

Don't you dare bow out .

bobo

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/05/08 01:50 AM

Roland

I am with BobO
I enjoy hearing the dealer’s perspective and I personally don’t have any problems with dealers talking shop. I read these forums to learn and you have brought to this forum some interesting points from your side of things.
I believe we have three dealers on the forums and all of you have minded yourself professionally.

Roland.
I didn't feel you did anything wrong.
However this is a collectors forum and you just heard a warning shot. laugh
Posted By: Cyndi

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/05/08 02:04 AM

Wonderful pictures Paul. If anyone was on the fence about buying any HL. Your pictures of the detail sells the piece.

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/05/08 05:57 PM

Roland, Your input has been a wonderful addition to the CF. You haven't crossed any lines. Your idea is a good one.

Please keep on posting !!! cheers
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/05/08 06:27 PM

I totally agree that Paul's pictures would sell potential customers on HL products. Although I doubt that LHD would include them in the catalog - expense of extra pages - I think copies of the pictures could be put into a flyer to go to the dealers. The best dealer I had would add HL brochures and other printed materials to the display so customers could learn more about the line. Stores could be encouraged to do just that.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/05/08 11:25 PM

Harbour Lights did at one time have "close-up" 360 degree images on their website for the new introductions. I know that sometimes these close-ups persuaded me to buy. I think this is especially true for those of us who don't have a HL dealer within an hours ride so we can see the actual light. My dealer now only carries those HL that are found within the state. I rely heavily on sites such as the CF, HL and LHD for a 360 view : especially if I'm going to pay $99.00. If you can't put the product into a potential buyers hands you better find a way to get them excited.
Posted By: SThompson

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/06/08 02:55 AM

Very nice! Lots of interesting detail. I'm excited about this piece!
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/06/08 07:00 AM

I'm amazed at the 'rust' on this piece. It looks SO REALISTIC.

And I like the unique flag design with the rough-sawn boards. A nice touch that ties in with the other boards.

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/22/08 03:01 AM

I noticed when looking into the history of this lighthouse that the HL website has it circa 1960 when it should be 1906.

Currently only the tower exists.

Might be my favorite so far this year. I like how the flag is done. cool

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/22/08 04:16 AM

Here is where the 1960 comes from...

Waukegan Image

In 1967 a fire destroyed the building leaving only the tower...

I talked to Harry when I was shooting the lighthouse about what what time period it was based on and he confirmed the 1960 image before the fire..

Terry Pepper\'s Waukegan Website
Posted By: Middle I-land MI Max

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/22/08 06:18 AM

Waukegan always reminds us a lot of our "Big Red" here in Michigan @ Holland on Lake Michigan.

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/22/08 04:22 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Paul.

The website I was looking at made it sound like the foghorn building was only there till 1906, when it was really built in 1906. :rolleyes:

Once again, the best and most accurate info is on the Terry Peppers website. (and the CF of course) smile
Posted By: Dave H

Re: HL355 Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse Close-ups - 01/22/08 04:36 PM

Max, the Holland FSB was built using the same plans intended for use at Waukeegan, and were also later used at Kewaunee WI.
© 2024 Collector Forums