LighthouseKeepers.com

Nasty WX here in Indy!

Posted By: WackoPaul

Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 02:51 PM

We got about a half inch layer of ice here at the Midwest Harbour Lights Museum over night.. It sure is Great being retired and not having to slip slide to work.. We got a new roof put on the house just in time (last Thursday). We had what they referred to as an ice/H2O shield added all the way around the bottom edge of the roof.

We are suppose to get another half inch of ice added to the ice we already have, today and tonight..
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 04:10 PM

I don't know which is worse Paul, the half inch of ice you got or the two feet of snow they are predicting for my area today. One one hand, you don't have to shovel ice, on the other, it sure plays havoc with power lines etc...

Mike
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 05:16 PM

Welcome to my world. Although we might get lucky this time, it will be Storm 8!
Come on SPRING. I think we'll have some piles of snow in the parking lots until May.

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 05:16 PM

Images of some ice in the front yard..

Attached picture ICE_0003.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0004.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0005.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0006.jpg

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 05:17 PM

A few more images..

Attached picture ICE_0009.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0010.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0011.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0012.jpg

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 06:30 PM

Isn't retirement GREAT Paul???????
Posted By: MelJB

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 07:44 PM

While we did not get the ice that IN did (we got some freezing rain - enough to make the drive to work yesterday a slip-slide) or the amount of snow (only 2 - 5 inches) in the NE, we got COLD. The channel 9 weatherman last night said it was colder in Denver than Independence Falls MN known as the icebox of the US. -40 wind chill. Most school districts are closed, too cold for kids to walk to school or to wait for their bus. Not supposed to let up until Thursday or Friday.

I'm working home today, just too cold to go out. BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRR
Posted By: RIP Puls

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 08:52 PM

72* and sunny Florida has homes for sale.
COME ON DOWN
Rip
Posted By: docsweetie

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 09:03 PM

Okay, another snow story here. It's blowing snow so hard I can barely see the houses across the street. Prediction 7 - 12" for KC but up to 2 feet in some areas in Missouri. Just glad I don't have to go out today... I love snow, but this is ridiculous! I like the nice, big wet flakes that then you take the grandkids out to make snowmen...

Carol

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 09:07 PM

This is shot from my garage down my driveway and shows the intersection in front of our house with 1/2 plus of ice and sleet on the pavement..

Attached picture driveway.jpg
Posted By: Mark Wagner

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 09:37 PM

The snow just started here, They are predicting as much as 2 feet by tomorrow night, possibly bigger than the blizzard of 67' when we got 23" of snow.... we'll see. I also read that Lake shore drive in Chicago will likely be closed for a while with 15' waves washing over it then freezing.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 10:15 PM

Sweater weather here in Sunny Southern Arizona -- about 65 degrees under blue sky.

Only people who need a shovel here are archeologists and undertakers.
Posted By: wvlights0

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/01/11 10:21 PM

55 degrees here and I just saw a convertible with the top down. We still have piles of snow higher than my head. Looks like the next one will miss us. Stay safe everyone.

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/02/11 01:26 AM

It was 67 in Denver on Friday and in the 60's on Saturday then the cold front starting moving in. So we had a 70 degree drop in temp. It is not supposed to get above zero today or tomorrow. Just glad we don't have the 2 feet of snow on top of that!

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/02/11 01:33 AM

Hmm, another snow story here. My neighbor is attempting to snow blow enough of the street to get his car up the hill, into his driveway and into the garage. So far snow=1, neighbor=0.

Hunkering down here in the Midwest...
Posted By: keeperpam2

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/02/11 02:01 AM

....and still another story from So. WI...I have a white out from my living room window....all schools are closed tomorrow.....which is remarkable.... They hardly ever close.
I did live in the Chicago area in 1967 when they had one of the largest snow falls. Wonder how much they will get from this one.

Stay warm and safe everyone!
Posted By: kory63

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/02/11 02:16 AM

We've already gotten almost 10feet of snow for the winter and are expecting 2 more from you folks to the west ! Why don't you just keep it!!
Rick
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/02/11 04:36 AM

Looks like this one is going to miss us. Oh darn!!! I'll just have to look at the 5 foot piles of snow we already have.

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/02/11 05:38 PM

We had a 2nd night of freezing rain and sleet.. The whole front and back yards are covered; on the 2nd day of ice and sleet storms, they are littered with small twigs and branches with chunks of ice all melted together. It sounded like we were under attack in the house last night as the ice was blown off of the trees and onto the roof and yard.

Attached picture ICE_0021.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0023.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0031.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0032.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0029.jpg
Posted By: 2beacons

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/02/11 06:06 PM

Paul and Sue got ice. Holland, Michigan got 17-18 inches of snow overnight with strong 40+ mile an hour winds. The snow drifts are 4 to 5 feet deep on the highways. Winter in Michigan can be challenging at times.

Mary

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/02/11 07:03 PM

A few more images from the 2nd day of ice storms..

Description: Our Seahorse on the deck seems to be able to repel the ice from the storm..
Attached picture ICE_0034.jpg

Description: Didn't have as many branches and twigs on the ground and deck in the backyard as we did in the front..
Attached picture ICE_0037.jpg

Description: The mailbox is adorned with ice..
Attached picture ICE_0040.jpg

Description: The dusting of snow we are getting now shows more definition in the surface of the ice on the ground, which is about 3 to 4 inches deep in most places..
Attached picture ICE_0044.jpg

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/03/11 06:13 PM

Thank God I got the Ice off the driveway, cars and sidewalk. The parking lot at the GYM this morning was a solid ice skating rink. Main roads are clear here but everything else is a disaster. We had a sleet, rainy day almost 40 yesterday, followed by a 17 degree freeze last night. Now this is all on top of the 36 inches of snow we've had the past two weeks. You can't even get out of town as the airports are delayed. Can you imagine trying to park a car in the 'open to the weather' airport lots or returning from you vacation to try to get out and get home.
NOT GOOD!

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/03/11 06:49 PM

I glad we were able to share with you Bob, I wouldn't want to hog all the fun!!

The sun is out here but my house shades the driveway and front walk so we aren't getting much melting.. The high today is supposed to get to 20 degrees and the low last night and tonight was and will be 7 degrees..
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/03/11 10:31 PM

It's all in what you want to put up with. You guys got the snow and we get the hurricanes. I put the snow shovel on the front bumper of the car when I retired and started driving south. When the asked me what that thing was, I knew I was far enough south to retire.

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/05/11 09:22 PM

We now have 5 plus inches of snow covering the still 3 to 4 inches of ice and sleet mixture on the ground..

At least this snowfall which is still coming down is a pretty one..

Attached picture ICE_0053.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0055.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0057.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0058.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0056.jpg

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/05/11 09:24 PM

I decided to revisit my old icicle friend which is still hanging around..

Attached picture ICE_0060.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0059.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0061.jpg
Attached picture ICE_0062.jpg
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/06/11 04:12 PM

Boy...I'm glad I live in sunny St. George. It was 67 yesterday. I will take our summer heat over all the snow and ice.

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/06/11 06:51 PM

It's Melting!!!

Description: Drip......
Attached picture Icicle_0052.jpg
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/08/11 01:02 PM

Snowing here in Southeastern Massachusetts, again. Only supposed to get a couple of inches though. It's getting real old at this point. Time for the warmer weather and longer days with plenty of sunshine.

:) Bob

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/08/11 05:02 PM

We are supposed to see 40 degrees this weekend in Indy, then look out for the flooding..

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/08/11 05:43 PM

We had snow Saturday and Sunday, then clear yesterday. Snow started late last night. But not much by comparision to all of you - only 5 - 8 inches. However, it will be COLD. I think the weather guy said high would be 8, then even colder tonight once the cloud cover moves out. Bbbbbrrrrrrr again.

I'll take it though, snow now means less water restrictions in the Spring and Summer.

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/25/11 04:47 PM

We got another dose of rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow last night, the Seahorse on the deck probably wanted to come inside..

Attached picture Sea_0285.jpg

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/25/11 06:58 PM

Gusty windy rainy day here. 40-60ph winds. Better than snow or ice! I will really appreciate this SPRING. It's been mild in the 40s the past two weeks. This rain should get the rest of the snow off my property but there will be piles in the parking lots into May.

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/25/11 07:15 PM

We had 50s this past week and it is supposed to be 60s on Sunday, it is Indiana High School Basketball Sectional time next week which is usually the time our last snowfall of the year every year..

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/28/11 11:13 PM

Here is my youngest grandson Patrick in his toolbelt, ready to hacksaw some furniture... maybe that table behind him.

Attached File
DSC02526.JPG  (2 downloads)

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/28/11 11:13 PM

Darn, let me reduce the size and try again.

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/28/11 11:16 PM

Here is my youngest grandson Patrick, with his handy tool belt, ready to hack saw some furniture like that table behind him!

Attached File
DSC02526.JPG  (33 downloads)

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 02/28/11 11:18 PM

Darn again. You'll just have to click on the jpg above. I guess I'm still a novice at this posting stuff. No t-shirt for me yet...
Posted By: kory63

Re: Nasty WX here in Indy! - 03/08/11 02:27 AM

2 more FEET of snow here in CNY!! Heading for a record seasonal snowfall! cry frustrated
Rick
© 2024 Collector Forums