LighthouseKeepers.com

A front porch friend

Posted By: Larry

A front porch friend - 06/19/03 03:35 AM

A couple of days ago, I noticed a pair or mourning doves hopping around my next door neighbors front porch. Then yesterday, I noticed some grass and stuff under a hanging plant on my porch, right next to my front door. When I looked in the pot for a nest, I didn't see anything, so I thought someone must have just tracked it in.

Then tonight, Donna went to water the plant, and came upon this:

We were able to get within just a few feet of her and she didn't move. Then I started to carefully water the plant and she flew away. Then I checked the pot again and I saw a single egg in there.

Most websites say that mourning doves lay at least two, sometime three and take two weeks to hatch. Maybe I missed one. I hope I didn't ruin the egg when I watered the plant and I hope she's not scared away forever. Donna's worried that her plant will die if we don't water it. I told her I'd give her the $7 she paid for it.

We leave for Myrtle Beach on Saturday, so we should have little dove(s) when we return...unless the punk kids (Reese & Dewey, I call them) across the street find it. mad
Posted By: mombo

Re: A front porch friend - 06/19/03 05:32 PM

Too bad you can't keep both the nest and the flowers Larry. That's a neat photo! smile
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: A front porch friend - 06/19/03 05:39 PM

My mom has been going through the garage for about a month because of the same sort of situation... Her doves chose an artifical planter to nest in on her front porch right by the front door, so she doesn't have to water near them.. I am going down to her home tonight and I will check and see how the doves are doing..
Posted By: Roxie

Re: A front porch friend - 06/19/03 06:56 PM

How sweet. Very pretty photo BTW. laugh
Posted By: buster

Re: A front porch friend - 06/20/03 12:50 AM

Nice picture smile
Posted By: Ron

Re: A front porch friend - 06/20/03 01:44 AM

Keep us informed Larry.

Re: A front porch friend - 06/20/03 03:29 AM

She did come back, and the kids have named her and Mr. Dove after their grandparents, Ginger and Albie.

I'm thinking there may be two eggs as she keeps switching sides of the pot.

Re: A front porch friend - 06/20/03 04:53 AM

Mr. Dove and it's a she? Sounds like my latest cat Sweetie who's a he! smile

Re: A front porch friend - 06/20/03 01:35 PM

No mombo, there are two that hang around. One sits in the pot (Mrs.) and the other occasionally hangs around, kind of standing guard (I guess that's Mr.)

Re: A front porch friend - 06/20/03 03:07 PM

Oops, I guess I can't read! We have lots of mourning doves but I can't tell the hes from the shes!

Re: A front porch friend - 06/29/03 04:08 AM

We're back from Myrtle Beach. Ginger still sits on the nest, but the plant is dead. I guess my mother-in-law decided against watering it while we were away:

Mrs. Dove is looking almost as haggered as the plant.

Re: A front porch friend - 07/08/03 03:14 AM

And we have two chicks!

Donna took this picture today. I haven't seen them with my own eyes. Mamma (or Pappa) is sitting on them and keeping them pretty much out of sight.
Posted By: eskilady

Re: A front porch friend - 07/08/03 03:42 AM

What a beautiful picture!!! I can almost reach out and pet the beautiful momma bird!

Eskilady

Re: A front porch friend - 07/08/03 04:24 AM

Neat! Guess Donna can use her $7 to buy bird food! smile
Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Re: A front porch friend - 07/08/03 05:04 AM

Wow! What a great photo. We've have lots of mourning doves that come to one of our bird feeders. I've never had any nest in our yard that I know of.

Keep us posted.

Tammy

Re: A front porch friend - 07/17/03 03:16 AM

The birds are now 8 days old. They grow fast. (that's momma or pappa on the right) Soon we'll be eating squab! laugh (kidding!) And hanging a new plant.

Posted By: Roxie

Re: A front porch friend - 07/17/03 07:20 PM

Isn't nature wonderful! smile
© 2024 Collector Forums