LighthouseKeepers.com

The 2005 Wacko Map

Posted By: seagirt

The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 02:42 AM

I decided to repeat this popular concept this year, but with a twist. On another forum, I discovered Frapper, a website based on Google Maps in which you can plug in your name, ZIP code, and a message, and it will create a "pushpin" for your location. Basically the same idea as last year, except this time, I don't have to sit and plug in everyone's ZIP code individually.

Here's the NEW LINK (as of 24 Oct 05): http://www.frappr.com/hlforums

To add your name, click "add yourself" on the right. Enter your name, ZIP, and a "shoutout" (required...just make something up). PLEASE, for continuity insert your username first, with your real name (however much you want to share) in parentheses.

Let's see how the Wacko Map turns out this year! smile
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 04:31 AM

Neat idea, but the software seemed to run SLOW. What's the link to the map? I never got to one after entering my info.

Never mind. It finally took - I had to enter the information again. Does seem slow.
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 06:13 AM

Love that Gregg...it is really cool It worked great for me. Can't wait to see it filled up.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 12:47 PM

Neat! smile
Posted By: Bob M

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 01:18 PM

I'm in!

smile Bob smile
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 03:31 PM

Worked fine for me Greg. Great idea!

Bert smile

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 03:39 PM

Well, maybe it was my connection. Working pretty spiffy and quick this morning.

Don't forget to zoom in the map, then click on the names on the side. I imagine the map is 'centered' on each zip code, but it gives you a pretty good idea of the location.

Then click on the Sattelite button to see the view from space, the final frontier.

I loved Ken's Shoutout.
Posted By: rscroope

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 05:24 PM

This is great! I just set one up for my family.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 07:18 PM

I REGISTERED ON THE MAP.
I didn't get my own ballon.
I have same zip and city as kathy.
My name is on the side but nothing on the map.
Posted By: Bigbird

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 07:18 PM

I's in!! laugh

Daniel, I think you're probably there, but if it's close to someone else, two looks like one. wink

Steve

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 08:01 PM

Click on your name on the side to see your balloon.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 08:46 PM

Wow, this really took off! We have about 30 people on the map right now (it says 32, but there's a couple of doubles). It's interesting to see this filling out!

Keep the balloons coming! laugh
Posted By: rscroope

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 09:18 PM

You can edit the doubles Greg.
Posted By: sandy

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 10:39 PM

How do I get the double shoutout out?
Sandy

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/21/05 11:13 PM

I'm the only one that can remove them, being the admin of the map. I'll get rid of it - you only have two Shoutouts, only one baloon.

If anyone else wants me to remove double shoutouts, let me know.
Posted By: fra02441

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 01:23 AM

Love it Sorry did it 2X. frown

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 01:47 AM

Uhhhhh Greg, is this Frapper only for the US of A? If so, we're leaving people off shore w/o a paddle eek , if not, the map needs to expand eastward for the (and any potential) overseas members, donchathink?!?

Steve - throwing proverbial wrenches

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 01:59 AM

Okay, a quick perusal of some of the other groups maps lets me know, that we need a world map to include our 2 or 3 (or more), plus any potential overseas members, should they not want to feel left out; too late...Greg??!??

Steve
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 02:07 AM

Steve, It looks like they can add their names too...hopefully maybe Margret & Stan will try it to see if it works.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 02:54 AM

You can enter locations for anywhere in the world, to my knowledge. On the other forum where I got this idea from, we have members from the UK and Brazil. Both of them showed up on the map fine.

Also...if you post twice (or more), the only thing that will be doubled will be.
Posted By: catzb1

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 03:53 AM

Sorry Daniel...didn't mean to block you from the map!

laugh Cathy laugh

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 04:12 AM

Quote:
Also...if you post twice (or more), the only thing that will be doubled will be.
. . .will be what??

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 04:18 AM

Huh....guess I lost the second half.

The only thing doubled is the shoutout. There will still only be one balloon for you, unless you enter a different ZIP code (like Daniel did...which one do you want to keep? I'll dump the other one). So it doesn't mess the Frapper up too much if you double Shoutout...just don't flood the shouter. laugh
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 02:38 PM

Brilliant Idea! Sadly it did not want to recognise the town we live in (Weston super Mare) so I had to enter the nearest big city confused But never mind... it gives an idea....

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 08:25 PM

Margret - If you zoom in the map some, then click on your name on the right. The map will show "Weston-Super-Mare" Maybe it needs to be typed like that with the hyphens for it to recognize the city name.

And where does that name come from? "Super" ? Mare - Latin for sea? Is it an old Roman town?

I Googled the name and found this on the Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston-super-Mare

Interesting. The "Super Mare" is Medieval Latin for "On Sea"

I always like the name of the California town "Carmel-by-the-sea" (Carmel) Where the houses do not have street numbers and everyone in town must pick up their mail at the Post Office as a result.

It is one of the most picturesque towns in just a beautiful setting. Scores of people walk down to the end of Main Street (forgot the name) to the area overlooking a long sloping sandy beach/cove to watch the sunset each evening. Mesmerizing. (Mabye it's "Sunset"?)

John

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 09:38 PM

Stan/Margret...

I'd try again, using the dashes. I tried typing in the city, and it seemed to recognise it. If you suceed, I'll delete the Bristol entry.

Worth a shot...

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/22/05 11:14 PM

Greg, it seems to have worked even though at the moment I can't get it to display the ballons (or what ever you call the location markers on the map) In any case... please delete the Bristol entry! Thanks a lot!

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/24/05 04:28 AM

Okay now!! confused I got the push pin ballooney things to come up yesterday, now they won't to save me!??! Wassup with that?????

Steve

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/24/05 04:39 AM

The map service is sometimes intermittent. It's not a perfectly coded solution, IMO, but it's sure easier and cooler than the way I did it last year (punching ZIP codes into Streets and Trips).

Try again...it might come back.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/24/05 04:54 AM

Nnnnnnnnnnnope, I tried off and on a couple of times and no go. I suggested it to another group I'm on and they are taking to it pretty well too, but no push-pins; I do get "cartoon-type" balloons (where they put the vocbulary for the characters) when you go to their picture and click on the "map it" option, but no red push-pin thingies. confused

Also, do you know how the lady from St. Croix can claim the VI's as her home and not Puerto Rico...the closest that she could get to take?!?

Steve

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/25/05 12:08 AM

PLEASE NOTE: The URL for the Frapper has changed from that whole Rising Concepts thing to

http://www.frappr.com/hlforums

Apparently, it's gotten pretty popular on a bunch of communities, so they gave it its own URL. Also note that it's now called a Frappr instead of a FrappEr.

I've also cleaned out double Shoutouts, with the exception of Daniel and Mary/Herm. In the case of the former, I deleted the double from one city, but I need to know whether you want to keep the JAX or Middleburg location - you're being considered as two separate members right now. Mary/Herm - I have two shoutouts for you, with different messages. It's okay if you want to keep both...shoutouts are unlimited. I just cleared out identical doubles.

Let's keep the ZIP's coming! smile
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/25/05 05:06 PM

The map is looking good Greg. I just added my balloon to spread a few more to the west.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/25/05 06:43 PM

"The Travel Queen" waves in from Utah with a twist of her wrist! Must be on a brief stopover in Provo. wink

Greg - any chance you can edit that description from www.harbourlights.com to http://www.lighthousekeepers.com which would point to the CF and maybe with the addition of the 'http://' would become an active link?

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/25/05 07:54 PM

Just entered Iris (Lightshipfan) at her request (we often talk to each other smile )
... found out that adding a website address works just fine. Wish I had thought about that when I put our "balloon" up.
Posted By: wheland

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/25/05 08:47 PM

I've set this up at several other groups I'm involved in. They are all enjoying it as well.

I've noticed that on some maps I can add my photo and on others- including this one I can't.

I uploaded the photo to the site though- just isn't with my shoutout.

Dennis

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/25/05 09:14 PM

I'll get that link fixed. Must have been thinking "Harbour Lights" Forums. smile

Dennis...not sure why we can't do photos. I've seen others that can do photos, too, like an avatar. It comes up in the gallery, but I'm not sure why we can't do it as the avatars.

Margret - if you want to have your URL, just create another shoutout using the same exact wording for your name and city, and adding the URL as you wish. Then it won't create an extra balloon, just an extra shoutout. Then I can delete the old one for you.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/26/05 02:17 AM

Greg - I see you changed the text, but without the "http://www." the link isn't hot. If you are running out of space, delete some other words and give that a try.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/26/05 02:56 AM

I tried doing the http://...it didn't work as a link, and it made the text too wide for the frame. So I just cut it down.

I guess that links only work in shoutouts, not the intro part.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/26/05 03:56 AM

Well, I cheated a little, but I uploaded a picture that I scanned from yesterday for the other group and it went in full size, so Avitars may not be necessary.

Steve

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/26/05 04:01 AM

Still have the double shoutout in mine?? confused confused confused

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/31/05 02:05 PM

I see the map has come to a screaching halt!?!

Steve
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 10/31/05 07:57 PM

Okay, Steve, it has started up again. I'd forgotten that I now qualify to be on the map -yea!! Strangely, it labels Pasadena - a small community near us - but not Houston.
Posted By: bright eyes

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 11/08/05 03:50 AM

We need more "WACKO" sightings on this map!

Join in on the FUN! wink
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 11/08/05 06:23 AM

Just added my balloon.

But I messed up. I forgot to enter my user name first. Anyway to fix that, Greg?

Judy

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 11/08/05 10:54 AM

I just added our "additional" balloon, jus tlike you suggested Greg. It worked fine both with the picture and URL ...

Can everyone see our picture or is it just visible to us ('cause it is on our PC)?

This is a brilliant idea! I like being able to see where everyone lives!
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 11/08/05 01:27 PM

I saw your picture. It is a very nice looking picture.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 11/08/05 10:24 PM

Margret - I deleted the two extra shoutouts (one w/your name and one "Stan and Margret near Bristol"). You're set!

Judy - if you post to the map again with the right name, I'll delete the original. No biggie.

48 names...doing good! laugh
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 11/08/05 10:42 PM

Correction in, Greg. You can delete the first one.
Thanks! laugh

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 11/08/05 11:08 PM

Alright, the first Judy has been deleted!

Wow, that would be a great sci-fi movie..."you're deleted"...might make a good Bill Gates Apprentice catchphrase, too. laugh
Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 11/09/05 05:29 AM

This is cool.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 02/02/06 05:27 PM

Bringing this one back to the top. Newbies and Wackos are welcome to add their location to the map. http://www.frappr.com/hlforums
Posted By: regalhobo

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 02/02/06 08:14 PM

I just added my ballon. This is really pretty kool. Under my shout it has (remove my shout) so being the computer expert that I am I just left things alone. Didn't want to mess things up, if thats possible. cool

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 02/02/06 09:45 PM

Tom - I just removed your shoutout for you. (I'm the administrator for the map, so I can do stuff like that...there's even a "custom pin" thing with different colours I may bring in....) You've still got a balloon, but no shoutout.

If you do want to add a shoutout, you're more than welcome. As long as you use the same ZIP (or as it looks now, you create an account, so log in with that), it won't create another balloon.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 02/05/06 01:39 AM

Greg, my name is still on the list but my balloon and shoutout are gone!!

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 02/05/06 03:15 AM

Grace - it's still there. You just put it under "Beachcomber" instead of just "Grace." It's towards the bottom of the unexpanded list. smile

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 02/05/06 03:43 AM

That's what I said - when I pulled the map up a while ago, my name was on the list but the balloon and shoutout were gone. Many balloons were not on there, including Joyce and Tom. After I saw your most recent post, I went back and everything is back, including Joyce and Tom and me - strange.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 02/05/06 04:01 AM

There is a place on the bottom left of the map which shows the number of "markers" showing. It may say something like "50 of 54 markers". You have to click on "Show rest of markers" for everybody's balloon to appear.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 01/05/07 07:56 PM

Floating this thread back into view for those who've joined recently.
welcome

And for Dave, Dennis and Beacon Bob:
groupwave groupwave groupwave groupwave

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 01/05/07 08:42 PM

The view I am getting from that link is very different from teh old one. Not sure if I like that. Still it is neat to see where everyone is!!!
Posted By: 5lights

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 01/05/07 09:15 PM

Cool! I added my pin...and it really is neat to see on the map where everyone is!
Posted By: BeaconBob

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 01/05/07 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
And for Dave, Dennis and Beacon Bob:
bash wink
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 01/06/07 12:34 AM

I add myself to the map. Trying to remove the "HI", as mine is the only one with it.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 01/06/07 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Loon:
I add myself to the map. Trying to remove the "HI", as mine is the only one with it.
Don't worry about it - it seems to sense where you are (probably through the miracle of your IP address) and then is trying to get you to post to the map. I get the same thing where I am.

Probably everyone gets it in their respective town...
Posted By: Cyndi

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 01/06/07 02:46 AM

I added my pin to the map. It's neat to see where everyone is.

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 01/06/07 09:59 AM

Quote:
Probably everyone gets it in their respective town...
Greg, I don't think it is so specific as "town". I get it for Manchester, which is about three hours drive from here frustrated
Posted By: HCS

Re: The 2005 Wacko Map - 01/06/07 06:11 PM

Well I have tried to add my pin and for some reason am not able to - sorry.
HCS frustrated
© 2024 Collector Forums