LighthouseKeepers.com

Google your(lighthouse)self!

Posted By: mombo

Google your(lighthouse)self! - 10/01/06 04:40 AM

This afternoon I spent some time visiting with my ex brother-in-law. During our conversation he asked me if I was like in charge of some lighthouse group because he found me while doing a search on Google. Seems he had been doing some family geneology research. Well we share the same last name but I couldn't believe he found me when looking for his ancestors.

Later when I got home I tried it and if I'd had the patience I may have found something if I'd been willing to go though all the results that the last name produced. So then I tried my last name plus lighthouse. And sure enough I found a whole bunch of my own personal results.

So try a search using your last name plus lighthouse and see what you get. I tried a few regular posters' names and got results. Kind of neat to see yourself out there in cyberville.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! - 10/01/06 11:46 AM

Very interesting, my cone flower princess! I'll give it a try.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! - 10/02/06 03:54 AM

Personally, I think it's spooky! Makes you wonder what kind of info people are getting on you - no, not paranoia - reality! All kinds of fraud is being perpetrated because of the easy access of information through cyberspace. Very cool in many ways, but.... I'm going to try it with other combinations when I have some time.
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! - 10/02/06 04:47 AM

Well, when it comes to paranoia, I guess I turned out pretty okay searching my surname with "lighthouse." This is, apparently, given a lot of help by the fact that I share a name with that of a certain very famous Great Lakes shipwreck.

It takes 24 pages until you get to me on the NJLHS board/committees page, where I'm the assistant webmaster. There's even another Greg Fitzgera** (try and help prevent this page from turning up on any Google rankings) that showed up on several IMDB records...but that's it.

Pretty interesting concept...it's kind of scary to think how much info is out there about us. I'm pretty careful with my CF postings here to not give out much information in the public forum. Pretty much anyone here who has corresponded with me outside of the public forums knows my surname...and in many cases, my address. But I try to be careful to not give out too much info in the public section of the CF community. I trust Wackos...I just don't trust wackos. If you know what I mean.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! - 10/02/06 05:16 AM

Greg, when you search you often want to use the least number of characters possible - opens up more possibilities for matches / hits, especially when a word might be spelled wrong. For instance, if I were searching for you I might search 'Greg Fitz'.
Posted By: Tybee_Sullivan

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! - 11/13/08 06:50 AM

Holy crap! The first Google listing is mine!
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! - 11/15/08 10:53 PM

searched for last-name and lighthouse ... nothing ... (proves my point ... I will not willingly publish my last name on the net!)

searched for Margret and lighthouse ... and appart from the suggestion that I might have spelled my own name wrong and it should be Margaret ... and I am used to that ...

the first site shown is our website...

Thanks mombo, I would have never thought of searching that way smile
Posted By: HCS

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! - 11/15/08 11:44 PM

Margret - you are not alone my mum is 'Margret' must be a European thing!
I will be in Engand soon and will be posting your Little Light Friday 5th December.
HCS
Posted By: The Cape Cod Store.com

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! - 11/16/08 02:09 AM

We have a service which forwards us all articles and photos which have hit the net each week about lighthouses. I also have had added to that service all mentions of my name which have hit the web as well. Each week I not only get feedback on my blog and any articles I've posted or commented on, (it's also nice to find out what people are saying about me and my website), I've also discovered that, lo and behold!, there are at least two other Roland Babineaus in the world. One is a kids' hockey coach in Canada and the other a banker in Belgium, (betcha the hockey coach is having more fun about now than the banker). whistling
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! - 11/16/08 10:49 PM

Hilary, Margret means means pearl and is a Hebrew word. I thing our spelling is the original Hebrew. The one with the extra "a" (Margaret) came later and it is thought the old Romans added the A
Looking forward to the LL smile !! Thanks for your efforts !! Much appreciated! Nice to have such good friends!
© 2024 Collector Forums