LighthouseKeepers.com

Retired @ < Retail

Posted By: JTimothyA

Retired @ < Retail - 11/16/99 07:11 AM

Are you buying new (non-retired) and retired pieces for less than retail?

Rgds,
__
/im
Posted By: Richard W

Re: Retired @ < Retail - 11/16/99 05:45 PM

Yes, It would seem that Ebay has added another source for both current & retired pieces. I do wonder what impact it will have on the retailers?

Richard Weaver
One of the Smoky Mtn. Flame Keepers

[This message has been edited by rew99 (edited 11-16-99).]
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Retired @ < Retail - 11/16/99 08:51 PM

Yes I have been able to buy HL pieces at less than retail. If you look hard enough you can find a sale going on somewhere.

I don't know if ebay will impact retailers since I believe there are rules to follow regarding pricing. Although, some retailers have found a way around this by offering purchasing incentives such as bonus points towards a free piece or bonus bucks, such as for every $50 spent, a $5 credit is applied to the account.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 11-16-99).]
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Retired @ < Retail - 11/16/99 08:55 PM

Oops! Server error - posted the edit as a new message.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 11-16-99).]
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Retired @ < Retail - 11/16/99 10:45 PM

As much as we talk about keeping the retail price as is on HLs, the majority of us shop for a discount from retail or some sort of a break if we can find it. It's always nice to save a few bucks on your purchases.

Bob
Posted By: JeffB

Re: Retired @ < Retail - 11/17/99 12:18 AM

My primary source does the incentive, but they do it for everything they sell. For every $500 spent, I get a $50 gift certificate. So I guess basically a %10 discount.
Posted By: LamarB

Re: Retired @ < Retail - 11/17/99 12:54 AM

I sometimes shop eBay for deep discounts on non retired pieces which I don't have yet. However, a vast majority of the time I find that after I've paid the shipping fee and/or money order fee if a MO is required, for the few bucks I may have saved I'm better off buying at retail from my regular dealer and reaping the benefits of maintaining the excellent and beneficial relationship with my dealer.
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: Retired @ < Retail - 11/17/99 10:43 PM

We shop ebay for the few retired pieces we are missing and for some of the hard to find variations which appear from time to time.
Everything else is purchased through two dealers that are great people to work with.
One gives a 20% credit on every purchase if you join their instore collector's club. For
the $5 dues, it saves us quite a bit of money
over the course of a year of HL buying.
Posted By: lmyhre

Re: Retired @ < Retail - 11/19/99 04:08 AM

I buy retired pieces on E-Bay and from listings in the Marketplace on the forum. However, new pieces I buy from my regular dealer. I'd much rather inspect the piece before I buy it and the feeling of walking out the door with it under my arm is worth the small amount I might save through other sources.

Larry
© 2024 Collector Forums