LighthouseKeepers.com

The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About

Posted By: Webmaster

The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/06/06 08:16 PM

Found out today that there is ANOTHER Thumbnail custom made for a lighthouse - quantity made so far: 10,000, making it the most made of any of the Thumbnails.

Any guesses?
Posted By: HCS

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/06/06 08:30 PM

St. Augustine
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/06/06 09:27 PM

Nope!!
Posted By: AZlightkeeper

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/06/06 11:34 PM

Old Michigan City?

If I'm right, do I get one? laugh
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/06/06 11:44 PM

My guess would be the
Statute of Liberty

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 01:00 AM

Nope and Nope.. On OMC and SOL!!

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 01:21 AM

How about Admiralty Head WA.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 02:24 AM

Nope...
Posted By: Jazzer

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 02:27 AM

Thomas Point ?
Posted By: JJ

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 02:29 AM

Portland Head

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 03:24 AM

Nope and Nope.. Not Thomas Point and not Portland Head...

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 03:56 AM

How about a hint.
Was it just made or has it been out a few years?
Posted By: mombo

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 04:06 AM

Bodie Island?

(If no one here knows about it how come Paul knows all the ones it isn't? wink )

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 04:30 AM

I'm the man behind the curtain... Nope it's not Bodie..

Hint: It's an American Lighthouse..

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 04:58 AM

Well, Paul, let's say not everyone would agree with that statement. confused
Posted By: SThompson

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 07:21 AM

Boston Harbor
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 01:47 PM

Not the crappy SOL?

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 02:15 PM

John and Paul

Once you tell us which lighthouse.
There are going to be around 300 orders for them from this forum.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 02:24 PM

My hope is to negotiate a deal with them for a bulk purchase and avoid having scores of individual requests which they probably won't be prepared to handle.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 02:43 PM

Quote:

Well, Paul, let's say not everyone would agree with that statement.
John, do you mean that I am not Oz the all and powerful? I guess that means that I just saw the movie about making The Wizard of Oz..

Nope, not Boston Harbor...

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 03:15 PM

That wasn't the statement I was referring to, Paul.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 05:05 PM

Currituck

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 05:13 PM

Well I was thinking Boston Harbor too Sean as they get lots of visitors. But then when you read things like "custom made" and "bulk purchase" you have to think LHD. So maybe it's a lighthouse that ALF supports?

How about Portsmouth Harbor or Pemaquid?
Posted By: MelJB

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 05:30 PM

Well I was going to say Little River because of Mombo post about ALF, but since one of the comments John made was some would not consider it a lighthouse and SOL is ruled out, I wondering about one of the following:

Hilton Head or how about the Cape Henry Cross that we saw in Portsmouth?

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 05:45 PM

maybe its one of the lightships?

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 05:58 PM

Bingo, Melody... Sea Pines (Hilton Head)

I've worked out a deal with them to purchase a quantity and offer them for sale to CF Members. Details and an order form will be posted on Sunday. All profits above cost and postage will go to Bill's favorite Lighthouse - Thomas Point MD.

As those who were at the regional know, Thomas Point will name one of the screwpiles after Bill Younger when we collectors raise $5,000 for Thomas Point. At the Regional a total of about $1,985 was raised through small donations and the auction of a gold Cape St. George donated by Jerry and Donna Siatkowski for this purpose. (Thanks Jerry, Donna, and Ron Foster!) And from the bus raffle on Saturday arranged by Dave.

We've gotten a discount on the normal cost of naming one of the screwpiles - half off, thanks to Henry Gonzalez, VP, Eastern USLHS.
Posted By: Brindfan

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 06:15 PM

What is a "thumbnail"?

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 06:18 PM

The top shelf is my display of all but two of the thumbnails made so far.. Second shelf is the Spyglass size...

Thread on displaying thumbnails..

To show you the size of the thumbnails..
Posted By: Brindfan

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 06:30 PM

WOW! Even smaller than "Little Lights". Never seen them in the Lighthouse Depot catalog.

Where do you go to buy them?
Posted By: Dave H

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 06:48 PM

Not for sale. Most of the thumbnails have been given as gifts to those attending the 4 collectors reunions. One was included with the Collectors Spciety version of the Baltimore Reunion piece. For the past several years there has also been a thumbnail made of the Bill event signing piece.

For the most part, Bill, Nancy and Kim have given the thumbnails to collectors at signing events. (The left over reunion ones - except for the 2005 reunion - and the special ones for signing events).
Posted By: 5lights

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 07:46 PM

I had heard of them, but never seen them. They're so CUTE!!! I guess I'll have to try and make some signings. I have seen them for sale occassionally on ebay-but never a decent picture. Thanks for explaining about them and sharing the photo of your awesome display!

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 10:11 PM

Good guessing Melody!

I missed the hint as I didn't pay enough attention to the replies to John's reply to my question! eek

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 10:42 PM

How about that!!! What did I win??

Kidding aside, that's a great idea to sell these as a fundraiser! Will be checking the Forums regularly on Sunday to order mine!

Oh yes, as a coincidence Sea Pines was the first LE I ever purchased (had only bought a few LLOMs prior). Was at my first signing event and won a Sea Pines t-shirt that Bill signed and thought I had to have the HL to match.
I was so new to lighthousing I didn't know Sea Pines wasn't a "real" light.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 10:54 PM

I should have guessed Hilton Head.
Back when the southern bell spyglass came out.
Hilton Head management was able to work out a deal with Harbour Lights that they could sell the Hilton Head Spyglass by itself. This was before the Sea Pines GLOW and Hilton head had no Harbour lights of their Lighthouse to sell.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
[b]Bingo, Melody... Sea Pines (Hilton Head)

I've worked out a deal with them to purchase a quantity and offer them for sale to CF Members. Details and an order form will be posted on Sunday. All profits above cost and postage will go to Bill's favorite Lighthouse - Thomas Point MD.

As those who were at the regional know, Thomas Point will name one of the screwpiles after Bill Younger when we collectors raise $5,000 for Thomas Point. At the Regional a total of about $1,985 was raised through small donations and the auction of a gold Cape St. George donated by Jerry and Donna Siatkowski for this purpose. (Thanks Jerry, Donna, and Ron Foster!) And from the bus raffle on Saturday arranged by Dave.

We've gotten a discount on the normal cost of naming one of the screwpiles - half off, thanks to Henry Gonzalez, VP, Eastern USLHS. [/b]
What event were they made for - before you worked out a deal to buy some?
HCS

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/07/06 11:58 PM

They were ordered by the gift shop at the light.. They are a Harbour Lights Dealer in fact they carry the whole line.. They were produced for that dealership just like the Historical Building produced this year for a dealer in the Tidewater area... The Cape Henry Memorial (Cross)...

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/08/06 01:10 AM

When I went to Sea Pines back in 98, the store was up at the top of the lighthouse. I believe if you didn't want to make the trip up the stairs they would bring down the item you wanted to buy. Nice look-out from the top. Sometimes you can see Haig Point.

Went there on the 4th of July. They have fire works right in front of Hilton Head. It was so crowded that we were bussed in and out. No cars were aloud during the 4th.
At that time the Hilton Head L.E. was going for $450. Different Secondary marketers would bring a Hilton Head L.E.’s when ever there would be large gatherings and sell then for outlandish prices. I heard $2000 was the going price. But one marketer was able to get $4000 for one. I would assume those days are gone with ebay.
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/08/06 04:07 AM

Pretty soon the thimble dome is not going to hold my complete collection of thumbnails. I will be in line for this one, so the collection remains intact!! cool

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/08/06 04:14 AM

Since we have revived interest in the thumbnails, I've moved the inventory list here.

1997 Reunion:

HL608 Assateague
HL609 Cape Hatteras
HL610 St. Simons
HL611 Sandy Hook
(2000 each were issued, according to Jim Rutherford's publications.)

1998 Reunion:

HL618 Beavertail
HL619 Point Judith
HL620 Southeast Block
HL621 Rose Island
(1500 each.)

2001 Reunion

HL646a Craighill Lower Front Range
HL647 Craighill Upper Front Range
HL648 Sandy Point Shoal
HL649 Hooper's Strait
(More or less 850)

HL644 Hereford Inlet was issued around the same time?
(2001/2002 (number issued?)

2003-2005 Special Events

2003 - HL664 St. Clair
2004 - HL668 THMB Three Sisters
2005 - HL677 THUMB Fourteen Foot Bank
(low estimate around 5,000 each?)

2005 Reunion:

HL679 Old Mackinac
HL680 Grays Reef
HL681 Waugoshance
HL682 Fourteen Ft. Shoal
HL683 Poe Reef
HL684 St. Helena
HL685 Spectacle Reef
HL686 Round Island
HL687 White Shoal
(450 + ?)

Addendum:

El Morro - 2006 Tidewater Regional Event
(Do we have an HL number yet? How about number issued?)

New total: 26. cool

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/08/06 04:13 PM

Addendum:

El Morro - 2006 Tidewater Regional Event
(Do we have an HL number yet? How about number issued?)

New total: 26. cool [/QB][/QUOTE]

Posted by J Chidester:

2,500 made
For the last few years, the product number of the thumbnail of the store event piece has been the store event # plus "Th" so El Morro is HL693Th.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/08/06 05:42 PM

Quote:
2003 - HL664 St. Clair
2004 - HL668 THMB Three Sisters
2005 - HL677 THUMB Fourteen Foot Bank
(low estimate around 5,000 each?)
I'd make that estimate about 2,500 each; that's the number the made this year which IMHO is too many to have made.

These come in bags of 500 each. While visiting with the Youngers a few weeks back, Bill had a bag on his desk and I asked how many came to a bag and he said "Let's find out..." and Harry, Bill and I counted out 500.

This year for the first time, the little bags that each was inserted in were sealed at both ends. Anybody think that it would be worth more MIB (mint in baggy)? smile

Keep in mind that the number made does not necessarily mean the number distributed to collectors, just the most that could have been.

At the end of 2004, They had about 1,000 left over which were distributed to some charitable organizations, as I recall.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/08/06 05:59 PM

To clarify, the El Moro thumbnail is the signing event thumbnail, not one done for regional events.

After opening >4000 I can most certainly confirm that thumbnails came in sealed packaging last year.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/08/06 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
After opening >4000 I can most certainly confirm that thumbnails came in sealed packaging last year.
So it wasn't the elves in China who put them in pouches or the tin, Dave? Bet you got that baggy opening process down to a science after the first 1,000 or so. laugh

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/08/06 08:51 PM

Yep, the fact that they gave out the El Morro Thumbnail (Morro with two r's) at the Regional was a bonus for those attending...

Since they aren't having as many Bill events this year, there may be some at the Portland Regional but since a lot of the same collectors will be at both Regionals they may not give them out in Portland...

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/08/06 11:18 PM

OK, I've got 100 of these coming - should arrive by Thursday from Hilton Head. Price will be $9.50 including mailing in a air-bubble padded envelope. For those who want to order by PayPal, it will be $9.75 each to cover the PayPal fee.

Of that approximately $6.00 will be going toward the Bill "Screwpile" Younger fund. No discount for multiples, but multiple orders are certainly welcome. Makes the accounting easier and it is for a good cause.

I can get more if the demand exceeds 100. BTW, this is about the same deal you'd get if you called the Sea Pines gift shop when you factor in shipping. They are happy to have us do this - "It's for a good cause!"

Paul will have one to photograph in a few days and I'll wait until he has that photo before posting an order form.

If you'd like to make a separate extra donation for the fund, make your check out to "Thomas Point/USLHS" and put "Bill Younger Screwpile" in the MEMO area. We'll forward all the checks to them and you'll get the tax deduction. You don't need to be a registered member to order or donate.

http://www.thomaspointlighthouse.org/donors.asp
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/09/06 01:46 PM

Order 2 via PayPal. Another good fund raiser.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/09/06 03:51 PM

Yes I agree Eric. Great idea for a fund raiser
Can't wait to see the picture and get to order some!
HCS

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/09/06 07:25 PM

I made my donation at the Tidewater event but I am certainly not going to pass up another opportunity to donate to a very worthy cause - nor to keep my thumbnail collection complete! wink
Posted By: fra02441

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/10/06 01:15 AM

I think you will need more than 100. laugh laugh
Posted By: Shortcake

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/10/06 04:17 PM

So where is the link to order? I want two!

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/10/06 04:18 PM

Quote:
Paul will have one to photograph in a few days and I'll wait until he has that photo before posting an order form.
Hilary you asked about an event they were made for... They were made at the request of the gift shop at Sea Pines (Hilton Head) as a custom order, not in association with any event.
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/10/06 04:39 PM

I ordered two via paypal today.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/10/06 05:00 PM

Please DO NOT order by PayPal yet. Do NOT send checks or MOs until we have an order form and process.

No one is in danger of being left out of this offer. 100 is just the initial order.
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/10/06 05:05 PM

Is there a link to an order form?

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/10/06 05:33 PM

Where's Paul with the picture? When that is posted, then the form will be, as well.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/10/06 05:45 PM

Ah I see that now, helps to read through the whole post! shocked

Mike

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/11/06 02:57 PM

Quote:
They were ordered by the gift shop at the light.. They are a Harbour Lights Dealer in fact they carry the whole line.. They were produced for that dealership just like the Historical Building produced this year for a dealer in the Tidewater area... The Cape Henry Memorial (Cross)...
PAul, you don't by chance know which dealer this was? I might be interested in one of those.

Mike

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/11/06 05:50 PM

Mike - if you are referring to the Cape Henry Cross, the dealer is Sanddollar Shop in Virginia Beach. It's an exclusive to them. The edition size is 1607 (the year of the cross?)

They are taking orders by phone 757-497-3579. Still some double digit numbers available. Pat said she expects them later this month, but doesn't yet know the retail price.

The Cape Henry Memorial Cross is about 1/2 mile north along the shore from Old Cape Henry. We passed it on the bus trip after leaving the Capes Henry Lighthouse. (Is that the right grammar, Grace?)

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/11/06 08:24 PM

Thats the one I was reffering to John. I remember seeing this memorial when we were at the lights after the 2001 Reunion. Thought it may be a nice little curiosity.

Mike

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/11/06 09:39 PM

I ordered one at the Regional and I believe it was $55, then add on shipping and handling. I looked at the check I wrote and it was for $65.75.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/14/06 05:11 AM

Just an update.

Paul didn't receive the one they were sending him and I haven't received the 100 yet, but expected them today.

I did get my 100 padded envelopes so I'm ready when the thumbnails arrive.

Hang in there. They might show up on Saturday.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/14/06 10:35 AM

The number for the limited edition cross (1607) refers to the year that the English explorers landed at Cape Henry. The cross that stands today was made much later. The explorers, which included John Smith, sailed west and began the settlement Jamestown.
Posted By: rscroope

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/14/06 06:20 PM

I'll be in Montauk for a week, please save me 5 John.

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/14/06 07:55 PM

John, count me for one as well.

Mike
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/14/06 08:10 PM

John,

I'll take one. Just let me know where and when to send the check.

bobo
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/14/06 09:25 PM

John,
Hold 2 for me.
Did the scans work for you of the legacy covers?

Re: The Thumbnail No One (Here) Knows About - 07/14/06 09:39 PM

John, I definitely want 5 of the thumbnails.
© 2024 Collector Forums