LighthouseKeepers.com

HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance

Posted By: flacoastie

HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance - 06/20/04 12:54 AM

I have a LE St Augustine #3319 and it has a bright red roof on the house attached to the tower. I just recently came into the fortune of being able to get a damaged LE St Augustine #1831 to use for an office display piece. I noticed that the roof on this piece was a medium brown antique color instead of bright red. This is not the first piece that I have seen that is brown. When I bought my St. Augustine years ago, the display model had a red roof and the piece they brought out in the box had a brown roof. I asked my son-in-law that was raised in St Augustine what color the roof was and he said it was red and never remembered it being brown. I bought the red one instead of the brown one. That was in 1993 and I have learned about variances since then. Does anybody have anything to add about this possible variance of red and brown roofs on the house attached to the tower. I would like some feedback on what color your ST Augustine is and any ideas or thoughts on this variance.
Posted By: Elmer

Re: HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance - 06/20/04 02:00 AM

Hi Rich,

The color of the roof on my Flag #402 LE138 is a brownish color. :rolleyes: eek :rolleyes:

Dan
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance - 06/20/04 02:48 AM

Howdy Rich,

My St. Augustine, #1903, has a light brown roof. I WAS going to say orange, but I knew that you wouldn't believe me.
Posted By: sandy

Re: HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance - 06/20/04 03:55 AM

I would describe the roof color as "burnt-orange" on my Malaysian-made St. Augustine, #557.

Sandy
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance - 06/20/04 05:04 AM

OK Sandy -- "burnt orange" is probably a little closer to an accurate discription than "light Brown". But what the heck -- my eyes are over sixty-two years old.

Bob
Posted By: Bob M

Re: HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance - 06/20/04 12:51 PM

I have St. Augustine flag #2117. The roof of the keeper's quarters is basically a brownish color. Burnt orange might be the best way to describe it.

smile Bob smile

Re: HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance - 06/20/04 02:21 PM

Well, I can tell you people that the top of the house attached to the tower is a "Fire Engine Red" and not a burnt orange. The keeper's house and the two small building on each side of the keeper's house are burnt orange. Bought this one right off the shelves of the Ancient Mariner in St. Augustine. I might have a one of a kind or a production change from brown to red. Very interesting.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance - 06/20/04 03:14 PM

Rich
You bought the right one.
The red roof version is the rare version.
Yours is third one that I have heard of.
The other person that I know of that has the red roof version got theirs from the Daytona Beach area. The First one I heard of I never really saw except for the pictures. You brochure collectors can find a picture of red roof version in some of the old brochures. The 1994 and the 1997 brochure shows the red roof version.
The red roof version is not a manufacturer variation (like a Canadian made variation), but is what is called “ Artist Choice” This is when the artist made a decision to vary from the rest. Or maybe one artist had the one Artist proof that had a red roof and was copping it. Since the brochures had an Artist proof with a red roof maybe one artist had one too. I don't really beleive that but it is just a thought. I beleive that this is rare paint variation just as rare as the Cape Hatteras stripe variation.

Yes the real one is bright fire engine red and has been that way the whole twenty years I have lived here.

Re: HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance - 06/20/04 09:59 PM

Thanks for the info Daniel. I didn't realize or remember the differences in the roof colors until I received this damaged St. Augustine that had a brown roof. I repaired the damage(missing a chimney on one of the small sheds next to the keeper's house) so instead of making it an office piece I will display it next to my "red roof" version until such time as I can locate an undamged "brown roof" version.
Posted By: sandy

Re: HL138 LE St. Augustine Variance - 06/21/04 02:42 AM

Bob,

Only knew what to call the color because it's on the label of one of my crayons. . . . wink wink

Sandy
© 2024 Collector Forums