LighthouseKeepers.com

A Long Trip South Part 2

Posted By: Shirin

A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 02:12 AM

Saturday morning before the 200th Birthday Celebration at Hatteras I took an early morning drive to Currituck. I guess now my visit was part of a true new dawn for the lighthouse now that the OBC has obtained the deed for the lighthouse.

I stopped briefly at Bodie before getting to my final destination for the day, Hatteras. Here are a few pics of the light.

That evening was the OBLHS dinner which John has covered in his posts about the weekend so I won't repeat all of that here.

Sunday was a return to Currituck to climb and get more photos and then onto Bodie again before the long 11 hour drive back to Connecticut.

Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 02:19 AM

Shirin, you took some really nice pictures cool The one from under the bridge is neat.
Ruthie smile
Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 02:35 AM

Shirin, sounds like you had a nice time. Your "pre-dawn" photo has a moody quality to it! And that last shot with the sun reflection of the Fresnel is gorgeous. smile
Posted By: AZlightkeeper

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 03:14 AM

Shirin, these are really beautiful shots!!! smile
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 04:41 AM

Nice work Shirin. And you are one really hard-working 'worker-bees'!!

It was great to finally meet you.

Keep those photos coming.

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 01:02 PM

Thank you everyone for your nice comments. Yes John, it was great that we could finally meet. smile

Here is another photo from the weekend. This is of our Keeper Brent Westwood and myself. Brent was great as the Hatteras Light Keeper.

Posted By: Webmaster

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 03:12 PM

This was Brent's first 'appearance' as a USLHE Keeper. He commented on Saturday how putting on that uniform changed him -- gave him a sense of what it must have been like to be a Lightkeeper.
Posted By: Elmer

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 03:51 PM

Shirin,

Great photos and thanks for sharing. smile smile

Dan
Posted By: mombo

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 03:54 PM

Shirin, your photos just keep getting better and better. These last ones are awesome! Thanks once again for sharing your trip with us. You got to do all the driving and we "went along" without leaving our homes. Thanks so much. smile
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 05:29 PM

Beautiful photos Shirin! smile You really find some creative places to take the shots. Thanks for sharing them.
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 06:21 PM

All of your photos are absolutley GREAT Shirin. I think the first in the predawn hours and the last with that reflection are definitely prize winners. Thanks for sharing them.

Bert smile
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 08:45 PM

Shirin...you knew I was "itching" to see your famous foliage shots, esp. of Hatteras & Bodie, a hard feat to accomplish, but that you did.

Love the pre-dawn shot of Currituck, and your comment that it's a true new dawn for the lighthouse.

You look mighty nice in that OBLHS pullover, too!

I can't thank you enough for all you did to help me, both before and during this event.

Always a pure pleasure!

Judy smile
Posted By: seagirt

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/21/03 09:37 PM

Great photos! I would never think to take a photo thru the bridge, even with all the times I have been to it... smile

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/22/03 12:47 PM

Judy - that photo at Hatteras with the flowers was a challenge! I'm sure the other visitors who saw my lying in the dirt to take that photo had a great laugh. But I'm happy, I got my flower shot. And those were some short flowers to work with! laugh

Seagirt - I must confess that the Currituck/Bridge shot was not my original idea. During my first visit to the Outer Banks 2 years ago I was short on time and didn't have the luxury of walking all over to look for unique shots. I found a similar shot on a poster in the Currituck gift shop and I've had that image in my head for the last 2 years, vowing that when I returned I would take the shot myself. So I wasn't leaving Currituck Sunday morning until I got my shot. Of course when I was the only one around the lighthouse early that morning it wasn't hard to drive over to the Whalehead Club and get my picture. I'm sure the guys who were cleaning up the tent left over from a wedding the previous afternoon thought I was nuts just walking all over the place looking for photos. Oh well, I am nuts, what can I say? smile
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/22/03 06:32 PM

Shirin...You are NUTS in the best of ways! smile

You're also fastly (is that even a word?) becoming a photo PRO.

Thank you...can't say that enough.

Judy smile
Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Re: A Long Trip South Part 2 - 10/28/03 04:51 AM

Good job! They're all nice. However, I love the photo through the bridge and the one with the reflection.
© 2024 Collector Forums