LighthouseKeepers.com

Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados

Posted By: Lorie Roe

Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/19/07 03:48 PM

John and I were on a Southern Caribbean cruise the end of February and first week of March. We started in San Juan. I have posted several pictures of El Morro in San Juan so I'll skip that lighthouse and move on to the next stops.

These pictures are of the St. John's lighthouse in Antigua. We walked to it from where the ship docked. It is not in very good condition. It is located behind a gas station so it's hard to get very good pictures.

Our next stop was Castries, St. Lucia. We asked a taxi driver to take us to the Vigie Light. He said we were the first people that had ever asked to be taken to the lighthouse. We stopped there for pictures and then went to Marigot Bay where they filmed "Pirates of the Caribbean".

These 2 pictures were taken as we we leaving St. Lucia.

Our last stop was in Barbados. Once again we asked a taxi driver if he could take us to the Hilton Hotel on Carlisle Bay. The Needhams Point lighthouse is on the grounds of the hotel. The tower is painted to match the color scheme of the hotel. This lighthouse is worth seeing just to go to the beach around the hotel. The sand is pink. smile

After enjoying a few hours on the beach, we grabbed another taxi and had him take us to South Point lighthouse near Christchurch. This lighthouse is in an industrial area. Another one that's not too easy to get a pretty picture.

Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/19/07 04:19 PM

These are wonderful, Lorie. Although my preference would be to see them the way you and John did, this is the next best thing.

Thank you! smile

Judy
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/19/07 04:34 PM

Great photos!!!

Did I miss your post with the El Morro pics?

Re: Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/25/07 03:48 PM

Here's an El Morro photo as we were coming in to port last year.

Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/25/07 07:20 PM

Wow!!! Great pic of El Morro !!!
Posted By: wheland

Re: Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/25/07 09:09 PM

Lorie,

Great shots in some difficult places. The El Morro photo is really nice.

Dennis
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/25/07 10:55 PM

Count me in for liking the El Morro shot.
Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Re: Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/26/07 01:11 AM

Lorie,

Did you get any information on that St. John's Lighthouse in Antigua? We went on a cruise out of Puerto Rico in 2002. I photographed that lighthouse in Antigua, but I couldn't find any information on it back in 2002 when I got home. I never counted this on my list of lighthouses because I wasn't sure if it was ever a functioning lighthouse. I had forgotten about it until you posted the photo.

Anyway, I love your El Morro lighthouse photo. Though you've posted some photos before, feel free to post some from this trip. It's such an interesting light.

Tammy
Posted By: mombo

Re: Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/26/07 02:26 AM

Looks like you and John had another great trip Lorie! Nice photos, thanks. smile

Re: Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/26/07 05:06 PM

Tammy...this is all I could find on information about St. John's lighthouse from http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/lca.htm
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Lighthouses in Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados - 03/26/07 05:26 PM

Drastic differences on the lighthouse locations - from grand to 'can I add another cell tower'. Love that lanscaped shot of EL Morro which really shows where it was needed!
Bob
© 2024 Collector Forums