LighthouseKeepers.com

Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great!

Posted By: WisKeeper

Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/07/08 04:00 AM

Milwaukee North Point Lighthouse has been restored. The rededication ceremony occured on November 16, 2007. Part of the restoration involved replacing the covered walkway between the house and the tower. The interior of the lighthouse was remodeled to provide exhibit space on the first floor and offices on the second floor. I visited North Point on Saturday January 5, 2008 and climbed the tower. It is 74 steps to the top.

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/07/08 04:02 AM

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/07/08 04:03 AM

Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/07/08 06:50 AM

Suzanne, these are gorgeous pictures! North Point looks really beautiful. I love that you took so many pictures of the details. I especially like your "porthole" shot. It's terrific that North Point has been restored. I'm sure we have you and many others to thank for that. I can just picture Milwaukee North Point as a Harbour Lights Christmas Light! applaud
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/08/08 02:10 AM

Nice winter pics, Suzanne!!!

I agree with Grace, Milwaukee North Point would make a great HL Christmas piece.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/08/08 03:57 AM

Great pictures and I like the Lion too.
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/08/08 04:44 AM

The first time I looked at Suzanne's pictures, somehow I missed the lion. It is pretty cool - am I seeing things or does it almost look like a human face?!
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/08/08 06:04 AM

Nice shots Suzanne. The first two pictures look like they could be on the front of a Christmas card. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/08/08 03:11 PM

Quote:
The first two pictures look like they could be on the front of a Christmas card.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Great pics, Suzanne! Thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/08/08 06:44 PM

Great pics Suzanne.

Linda and I will have to go back so we can climb the tower.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/08/08 10:59 PM

It's been a long time since I visited the grounds. I remember the lighthouse was in a very 'ritzy' neighborhood.

I'm very glad to see the tower and light have been renovated and hope I'll be able to get back to the Wisconsin lights again some day. Still some I haven't seen up in the Apostle Islands and on Lake Winnebago.
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/08/08 11:02 PM

Great pictures, Suzanne!
I tried to get there in the fall to tour and climb, but I took too long at Port Washington.
The tour guide that took us ahead (2 fellas joined after we had started and they wanted to see what they had missed) was fabulous! He has been one of the main restorers and was just a fountain of information. Not only about old Port Washington lighthouse but also about others he had visited to gather restoration info.
So, will try again either this winter or early spring.
Thanks for sharing...can't wait!
Posted By: buoyhunter_190

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/09/08 03:15 AM

Debbie -Thanks for the pictures. Is it open to climb year round or just special times? I have e-mailed them a number of times and they have never responded to my e-mails.

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/09/08 03:50 PM

Milwaukee North Point is open for tours on Saturday afternoons from 1:00 to 4:00 pm.

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/10/08 01:05 AM

I know where I will be this Saturday!

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/10/08 02:35 AM

Will look forward to your photos!

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/10/08 07:40 AM

Oh by the way Buoyhunter, the photos are mine, not Debbies. smile

The lighthouse should look entirely different this coming Saturday. The snow should be mostly gone.

Changes in the lighthouse include a new red roof which replaced a gray roof, red top to the lantern on the tower, new windows, new walkway between house and tower, fresh paint, new woodwork, etc.

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/10/08 04:56 PM

There was an article on Milwaukee North Point Light and the restoration in GLLKA'S Beacon this time. Very interesting and included a few photos.
Suzanne's are more in depth and more picturesque!

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/11/08 01:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WisKeeper:
[QB] Oh by the way Buoyhunter, the photos are mine, not Debbies. smile

The lighthouse should look entirely different this coming Saturday. The snow should be mostly gone.

Sorry about that Suzanne! I'm hoping with the possible snow that we will have some snow back!

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/11/08 06:43 AM

Thats true it is snowing out tonight!

Last Saturday in Milwaukee, we saw a few fishermen in boats out on Lake Michigan. It was a bit icy making it from Lake Michigan to the river.

Re: Milwaukee North Point Light Looking Great! - 01/12/08 01:57 AM

Hmmmm Not sure I would want all of those scratches from the ice on the bottom of my boat. They are true diehards that is for sure!
© 2024 Collector Forums