LighthouseKeepers.com

Lighthouses of Maine

Posted By: Art

Lighthouses of Maine - 02/17/00 06:12 AM

Wasn't that a composition by Respighi?

Anyway, we're tentatively planning on hitting (figuratively speaking) the lights from Boston northward to Lubec (actually, East Quoddy) over the summer. Any advice on how to break up the drive, "must see" lights, place to stay, places to eat, other stuff to do, etc., would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

------------------
-Art
Posted By: Rod Watson

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/17/00 07:08 AM

May not help much Art, but you may want to glance at our schedule of travels from the 1998 reunion vacation. Monday through Wednesday was spent in Maine (from Penobscot Bay south to Portsmouth Harbor), and the travel times, etc. were pretty accurate. You must be capuccino powered each morning though. Good luck. Absolutely don't miss Pemaquid Point, taking a tour boat in Boothbay Harbor, and walking the breakwater to Rockland Light. Kennebunkport was a hopping little town too.

New England Trip 1998
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 02-17-2000).]
Posted By: mombo

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/17/00 08:25 AM

Do you have "Maine Lighthouses - A Pictorial Guide, 2nd Edition" by Courtney Thompson? It won't really answer your questions but it's a nice book. Has pictures, directions and lists of tour boats by region in the back. Also lists characteristics of each light. Best deal I found is from Barnes and Noble.com, $17.46 for hardcover (retail is $24.95).

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 02-17-2000).]
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/17/00 03:02 PM

Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine!
A must, you'll need a few days!

I know Ron & Mary Jane Foster did this trip last May before and after the NELL Portland outing. I'm sure they'll have some good tips for you.
Posted By: vsnlex

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/17/00 06:30 PM

Mombo...I took your advise and ordered the book.

I tried a little comparative shopping and looked at Amazon as well as Barnes and Noble.

Amazon has the book in hard or soft cover but BOTH types were more expensive than the B+N offer. So..........I ordered from B+N...no dummies in this house ....got to save all the extra pennies etc to allow for HL purchases. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/18/00 03:47 PM

If you are planning a trip to Maine it could possibly take you the whole summer to do it right. There are just so many nice places to go to. Here are some of our favorites:
Cape Neddick
The Lighthouse Depot in Wells-then you can eat at the Maine Diner which is just up the road.
http://www.mainediner.com/home.html
Portland Head-where you can also visit Spring Point Ledge and Bug Light
While in Portland, visit the "Old Port" section of town and have lunch or dinner at Dimillo's-it is a floating restaurant.
http://www.dimillo.com/
Freeport-a stop at LL Bean
Pemaquid Point
Boothbay Harbor where you can take a boat excursion and see some of the Island lights.
Moody's Diner-a must if you are into nostalgia.
http://www.roadsidemagazine.com/d2d/26_moody/moody.html
Rockland and Camden-don't forget the Shore Village Museum where you can see some really unique lighthouse stuff.
http://www.lighthouse.cc/shorevillage
Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.
http://www.acadianationalpark.com/
If you have the time take the ferry over to Nova Scotia and back.
http://www.nfl-bay.com/me-ns1.htm
West Qouddy
And all points in between.
Hope you have a nice trip.

"TheLightkeeper"

[This message has been edited by TheLightkeeper (edited 02-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by TheLightkeeper (edited 02-18-2000).]
Posted By: lmyhre

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/19/00 04:08 AM

Spend a nite in Castine, Maine if you can. A classic little New England coastal town. Beautiful houses and other interesting buildings and several lighthouses in the near vicinity. We stayed and had a great dinner at the Castine Inn.

Larry
Posted By: lkeasyliving

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/20/00 12:52 AM

Art we went last spring one place we stayed at is Elms B&B very nice place and they are Lighthouse Nuts too so they can give you lots of imfo. they also give boat tours of lights check them out. there in Camden e mail theelms@midcoast.com they have adds in Lighthouse Digest Mag. Then you got to go see the Lighthouse Depot store in Wells its great, bring your credit card!!!!!!
Larry
Posted By: Brent

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/21/00 06:15 AM

....a big "thanks" to Art for asking the question.....and another "thanks" for all those informative responces. Reason why? Because I'm hoping to make a trip up that way in the summer....and I know very little about Maine. Man 'o man...I can't wait!!

------------------
Brent
Posted By: greed

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/26/00 09:39 PM

Hope you have alot of patience when it comes to driving...My wife and I just came back from a week-end excursion to Lubec and it is a very long ride. Alot of nice photo ops. along route 1 on the way up. We stopped at Prospect Harbor and it was very nice and peaceful until a snow squall came in.
Good Luck.
------------------------The R-------
Posted By: Bill Harnsberger

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/28/00 04:05 AM

Greetings from Portland.

If you get a chance, stop by the Kennebec River Range Lights just over the river from Bath. Two unusual wooden structures embedded in the woods. If you get the Courtney Thompson book, it has directions. Not hard to get to and you can walk the 100 yd. boardwalk to the rear light.

Pemaquid is a must.

In Rockland, make sure you do the triple whammy: Marshall Point in Port Clyde, Owls's Head (spectacular views) and Rockland Breakwater Light (which Harbour Lights will release later this year).

I agree about Castine. Very scenic and be sure to visit Dyce Head Light.

Bass Harbor in Acadia National Park is great. Throw caution to the wind and hop the chainlink fence to get some spectacular shots. You'll wonder why HL didn't get more dramatic with the rocky shore on their sculpture.

If you have a good telephoto lens, Prospect Harbor is nice. Some astronauts have come there to decompress after their missions. It's off limits, though, as it's on a military installation.

The creme de la creme...West Quoddy and East Quoddy. All I can say is...go to East Quoddy at dead low tide so you can walk to it. Enjoy!!
Posted By: Brent

Re: Lighthouses of Maine - 02/28/00 06:24 AM

Thanks Bill, for the great info.....
© 2024 Collector Forums