LighthouseKeepers.com

St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One

Posted By: Nana

St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/03/05 04:50 AM

On March 18th, a group is getting together to take a helicopter ride out to St. George Light, Crescent City, CA. There is room for a few more. If you are interested, please email me at Lightseeker@tampabay.rr.com and I will give you the details. If you know of any lighthousers, who may not be on the forum, but live in the Northern CA-Southern OR area who might be interested, let me know that as well.

Derith----Pixie is going to fly again.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/03/05 04:57 PM

What's next after that, Nana? Will you be the first HL Wacko in outer space? (lol)

smile Bob smile
Posted By: rscroope

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/03/05 05:37 PM

I'm assuming all you TBClub guys are already going to be in California on "Spring Break". You may not need a helicopter at all Derith? You guys may still be flying from St Patty's Day! Have fun, you guys do some cool stuff. cool
Bob

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/04/05 03:09 AM

The group for St. George is only 6 strong. All of us, from Florida, are on Spring Break. Others are just lighthousing with us.
Pixie
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/04/05 04:21 AM

Quote:
What's next after that, Nana? Will you be the first HL Wacko in outer space?
Nana,

You might want to bring Bob along. Who knows what you'll find on Mars?

bobo
Posted By: Rock

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/14/05 09:38 PM

Doing a good-weather dance for us right now, Nana, and can barely contain my excitement...can't wait!

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/15/05 04:06 AM

Checked weather today and my forecast says....few showers and only 10 per cent for the day...I'm doing the same dance in Florida. We are all pumped and it's only a few days away.

Have room for a couple more...know anyone who wants to join our adventure?

See you Friday afternoon.
Derith
Posted By: Rock

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/24/05 04:49 AM

What an amazing experience...the helicopter trip out with a courteous crew on an unusually calm, mild day...the incredible view of this castle on a rock from the air...landing on the ketch deck (which is a LOT smaller than it looks)...the rust and algae stains on the granite walls, touring the tower & rooms, sea lions swarming on the rocks below, gray whales playing around the reef...like a walk on the moon! I will never forget it...I'm going back as soon as possible...
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/24/05 04:59 AM

Wow! That Derith sure knows how to arrange things.

Now we want PICTURES!!!!
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/24/05 07:36 PM

I am so happy for Derith and the rest of the group that the St. Georges tour came off perfect. laugh What a great experience. I'm sure we're all wishing we could have been there to experience it too!
Posted By: rscroope

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/24/05 08:49 PM

Sounds pretty AMAZIN' Rock! Derith is a classic tour guide.
Bob
Posted By: RFoster

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/25/05 08:56 PM

I will post the pictures from our trip out to St. George Reef with Derith (aka Nana, the Lighthouse Pixie), so you may all get a feel for what it was like, in three separate posts.

I must first say that I thought there was going to be a large helicopter ferrying us out and back (after-all, Derith did say she had room for 15 to 20 people) but, upon arriving at the airport in Crescent City, CA, we soon learned that only three people, plus the pilot, could go each time.

When my turn came I was amazed at how smooth the ride was and I was becoming more excited as the image of the lighthouse grew larger on the horizon (as seen below):

I got this picture just as the pilot descended for his landing on the granite base of the light station. He did a great job:

Derith and me standing outside the doorway to the tower (man, I really need to get back on that diet):

Here are Derith & Rock in the lantern room:

The steel stairway from the tower down to an old dock/landing zone is rusted and the concrete is cracked. The lack of railings makes this a very dangerous place to traverse:

Down in the basement of the station hangs an old boson’s chair. I do not know the last time this was used but was pleased that we did not have to dangle in it to get down (or up) to the lighthouse:

Author and historian Elinor DeWire talks with Guy Towers, the man who spearheads the preservation efforts for St. George Reef lighthouse:

Engines inside the engine room:

The picture and story continue here: St. George helicopter ride pics Part 2
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/25/05 09:05 PM

Great images, Ron!!
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/25/05 10:06 PM

Ron, your pictures are AWESOME!!!! eek Since I don't do helicopters, your pictures are the closest I'll ever be to this lighthouse. The Pixie came through again cool You can never go wrong on a trip with her.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: St. George, CA Helicopter Pics Part One - 03/26/05 12:32 PM

What an amazing trip and series of photos! All I can say is "WOW"!

smile Bob smile
© 2024 Collector Forums