LighthouseKeepers.com

Eddystone & Plymouth, England

Posted By: Lorie Roe

Eddystone & Plymouth, England - 10/04/05 06:05 PM

Sorry to be so slow in posting these pictures but as a few of you may already know...I haven't been home very much these past 4 months.

These pictures were taken the end of July while I was in in Plymouth, England for the day. It was quite windy when the ship arrived and we had to use tenders to go to shore. They sent out tenders the first hour and then shut them down due to the weather conditions. I was thinking that I wasn't going to be able to get off the ship but a few hours later the weather improved and we were able to go ashore.

This picture is of Smeaton's Tower. It was the 3rd Eddystone lighthouse. It was built by John Smeaton and took 4 years to complete. It was first lit in 1759. It is now located on land on the Plymouth Hoe.

The original light was a 24 candle chandelier which was later replaced in 1810 with oil lamps and reflectors.

The stairs in the tower were made of solid granite with dowels supporting them through the middle.

On one level of the tower was where the keepers lived. The kitchen and bed were curved into the walls of the tower.

I'm not sure what the name of this lighthouse is but it is located in the Plymouth harbor.

Finally...this is the Eddystone lighthouse that is still standing today. It is called the James Douglass' Light. It was built in 1882 and is 40 meters tall (twice as tall as the Smeaton Tower). In the mid 1950's, electricity was added to the lighthouse. In 1980, a helicopter pad was added on top of the tower and in 1982, the lighthouse was automated and the last of the light keepers left. The lighthouse was then converted to solar power in 2000.

This is not too great of a picture because I had to use a zoom lens to even get the picture close enough to be able to see it. I think you can still see enough of the shape of the tower and the helicopter landing pad.

Posted By: Lighthouse Joe

Re: Eddystone & Plymouth, England - 10/04/05 06:13 PM

Nice shots. It sounds like you enjoyed youself.
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Eddystone & Plymouth, England - 10/04/05 08:21 PM

Very nice pictures! I always enjoy seeing pictures of lights that I may never get to see in person. Thanks for sharing these.

Bert smile
Posted By: mombo

Re: Eddystone & Plymouth, England - 10/05/05 01:19 AM

Wow,awesome guys! Thanks for another adventure with us! smile
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Eddystone & Plymouth, England - 10/05/05 02:40 AM

Great photos - thanks for taking us along, Lorie.

Are you actually going to stay at home a few days or are you headed back out again????
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Eddystone & Plymouth, England - 10/07/05 03:00 PM

Thanks for sharing those pics, Lorie! I find it very fascinating to see pics of lights we usually never see at the CF. Your photos from "across the pond" fall right into that category.

Keep those trip pictures coming!

smile Bob smile
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Eddystone & Plymouth, England - 10/07/05 04:24 PM

Very different lighthouses from 'across the pond' Lorie. What's the story on the nub next to the Eddystone in your last photo? Former lighthouse?
Those granite stairs are pretty neat. That must have been fun to assemble. That chandelier is also very neat.
Bob
Posted By: mombo

Re: Eddystone & Plymouth, England - 10/09/05 01:26 AM

Bob, that nub is the base of the previous Eddystone Lighthouse, the red and white one featured in Lorie's first photos.
© 2024 Collector Forums