LighthouseKeepers.com

Boca Grande and Sanibel

Posted By: Lighthouse Joe

Boca Grande and Sanibel - 11/01/07 06:44 PM

Well, my Florida vacation is 2 weeks away. we have a side trip to Sanibel Island, we plan on visiting Gasparilla, Boca Grande Rear, and Sanibel Island lights.

I heard there was some damage during that big hurricane a while back. Does anyone have current info on the open status of these lights?
Posted By: wheland

Re: Boca Grande and Sanibel - 11/01/07 11:23 PM

Joe,

I was at Gasparilla Rear Range and Boca Grande earlier this year and I saw no indication of any damage at the lighthouses themselves.

There was some work going on in the town on the island , though.

Boca Grande was open for business- and there were plenty of people there the day I was. The website says it's open 10-4 7 days a week from November to May.

http://www.barrierislandparkssociety.org/lighthouse.html

I didn't make it to Sanibel on that trip so I can't say what's up there.

Dennis
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: Boca Grande and Sanibel - 11/02/07 05:48 PM

Damage to Boca Grande was fairly minor and should have already been fixed. Don't forget to stop and take a picture of Boca Grande Rear Range on the way in or out. You can get close, but there is a fence around the base.

Sanibel had the trees blowned down, but they were not native to Florida and the root system can tear up roads and plumbing...so it was a good thing. Plus you can see the lighthouse from a distance better than before. Sanibel is still not open to the public, but the future looks promising, one of your Florida Lighthouse Assocation members is working with a local group to get things going.

Let me know if you need more info.
Posted By: AZlightkeeper

Re: Boca Grande and Sanibel - 11/03/07 12:37 AM

Quote:
Sanibel is still not open to the public, but the future looks promising, one of your Florida Lighthouse Assocation members is working with a local group to get things going.
Keep me in mind if they need volunteers! cool
© 2024 Collector Forums