LighthouseKeepers.com

St. George Field Trip part 1 of 2

Posted By: ericlighthouse

St. George Field Trip part 1 of 2 - 05/28/06 04:04 AM

Susan and I went up to St. George for the weekend of May 12-14. We stay at the Riverview Inn, which is on the river that goes into Apalachicola Bay. We awoke to this beautiful sunrise.

Terry Kemp, Secretary of the St. George Lighthouse Association arranged for Roy Ogles to take us out to Little St. George Island to see the last of the salvage operations. I thought we were going to have to hike the mile in the sand, when Roy brings up the "Mule" that is kept on the island, so we had a taxi. smile In the picture Roy in front, Susan behind and the foot is Terry's.

This is the collection of soap stone and granite from the lighthouse. (Granite was used in the windows and doorway).

Pieces of the lantern room metal work. (notice no bare metal, the local contractor did a excellent job,so no additional damage.)

Notice these bolts held during the fall, burying and digging up process.

I am told this graffiti was from locals a few years ago when the ligthouse still had stairs.

Near the lighthouse site was nesting Snowy Plovers. A very small bird that runs fast along the shore. We got lucky they built far enough away. Also while out on the island Roy checked for turtle tracks (turtle season started May 1), if he had found any, he would look for eggs and marked the stop (we found none).
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: St. George Field Trip part 1 of 2 - 05/28/06 04:10 AM

Great pictures, Eric! Thanks for taking us along on this trip and do keep us posted on St. George's progress. One of those things I would like to do is be a "turtle lady" during a turtle nesting season. It's one of those projects which are fun and give one so much satisfaction. I'd get to live somewhere near the beach for a few weeks, too! wink
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: St. George Field Trip part 1 of 2 - 05/28/06 04:37 AM

By the way Grace, if you go to the St. George Lighthouse website, under photo gallery, you will see a picture of me on Little St. George Island talking to Roy, who by the way is one of our great supporters.

Re: St. George Field Trip part 1 of 2 - 05/28/06 06:30 AM

With the hat and sunglasses, I still couldn't pick you out of a lineup! At least I have an idea and can hunt you down in Portsmouth! Of course, I can always look for Susan. cool
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: St. George Field Trip part 1 of 2 - 05/28/06 07:08 PM

Hey Grace if you can't find the "other" Eric laugh in Portsmouth let me know I will point him out.

Nice pictures, wish I had the time to get up that way.

Eric

Re: St. George Field Trip part 1 of 2 - 05/29/06 05:57 AM

Twenty six days until the OBX, Eric! We are going to have a terrific time! I thought it would never get here.
© 2024 Collector Forums