LighthouseKeepers.com

Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003

Posted By: Webmaster

Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/16/03 02:36 PM

My trip to Virginia and the Outer Banks has begun. I flew into Baltimore from Phoenix yesterday and on landing at BWI, got pretty nice views of Sandy Point Shoals and Baltimore Harbor (or was it Point-No-Point?) frown

I could also see the island on which Fort Caroll is located.

Changed planes in BWI for Norfolk at arrived at 4:30 PM. I took care of some business matters and joined the chat for a few minutes. This morning, a client meeting in Virginia Beach, then on the road to the Outer Banks!

I've worked with this client for about 10 years and have never met the key people there so that is going to be fun.

My only other trip to the Outer Banks was probably 30 years ago, and at that time, I didn't visit or view any lighthouses. I did visit the Wright Memorial and am looking forward to seeing that again in the year marketing the 100th Anniversary of their major accomplishment of making powered flight work.

Hope to visit the Lighthouse Gallery & Gift shop this afternoon after arriving in Nags Head and showing off the Lighthouse Stickers program.

Since I'm using AOL to connect to the Internet I have a new appreciation (not) for dial up and 56K connections.

There is a new problem, apparently for AOL users. A new kind of 'instant message spam' that drops pop-up unwanted messages onto your screen while connected to AOL. This AOL says is NOT their fault, but is a problem with Windows. Most of the messages appear to be from 'helpful' senders on how to BLOCK these kind of messages. (Yea, and if you believe that, I have a lighthouse I'd like to sell you.)

More tonight from the Outer Banks.
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/16/03 03:36 PM

Enjoy the trip John. Looking forward to seeing your pictures when you post them. I'm jealous!

Bert laugh
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/16/03 04:20 PM

Quote:
(Yea, and if you believe that, I have a lighthouse I'd like to sell you.)
Which light would that be, John? LOL!

Ever since I switched from AOL 7.0 to AOL 8.0, my junk mail has increased dramatically. Also I'm being bombarded with the "Knock-Knock" windows from other junk distributors. I have to keep clicking "ignore" and the window that follows it. Is there any way to block these people? Their screen name changes with each attempt to get me to look.

confused Bob confused
Posted By: DMancini

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/16/03 05:23 PM

When I used AOL 8.0, I got TONS of spam. This, combined with other things, forced me (after 7 years) to finally dump AOL in July.

laugh laugh laugh laugh Can you tell I'm glad to be rid of AOL?

John - can't wait for your photos and narration!
Posted By: mombo

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/16/03 06:57 PM

Hope you behaved yourself at BWI this time John!
And that you have a great time! smile
Posted By: Shirin

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/16/03 07:14 PM

Since in NC tomorrow John! I'm leaving for Baltimore in just a little bit and then its up and out early Friday morning to NC.

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/16/03 08:08 PM

Had a fine meeting with my long-time client this morning and then lunch with Bonniebert in Chesapeake VA.

I hand-delivered her Lighthouse Journal and then sold her a bunch of stickers and a passport! (Thanks!)

I'm at the Kinko's in Chesapeake handling a bit of work for clients in Maryland and San Jose, then I'll be off to the OUTER BANKS!

Look for Bonniebert's photo later tonight.
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/16/03 09:52 PM

Bob...there is a way to block these people..I think you go to setup on your buddy list, click privacy or something like that, and select the options that you want. You can allow only certain people to IM, block only certain people, block AIM people, etc.

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/17/03 03:13 AM

AOL says it's a security issue with Windows. But when I'm using AIM and not AOL, it never happened. Now it happens about once a minute.

I don't think the people sending this IM Messages even know that I'm on line. They have just created a way to send out a message that hits ANYONE who is online with AOL.

AOL offered to download a 'fix' but since I'm on a dial-up there is no way I could do that in the time I have available.

Anyway....

Got down to Nags Head about 4:30 PM and first stop was Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts. Very nice store (photos coming later.)

Had dinner at a restaurant Maureen at LH Gallery & Gifts recommended and it was great. It's a short hop from the Comfort Inn where I'm checked in until Sunday now.

The hotel is still showing damage from Isabel - a few boarded up room windows. Also saw trash piled along the highway, but not much.

Tomorrow early I'm going to try to find a lighthouse nearby (?) to get some 'rising sun' photos.
Posted By: Chesapeake Bryan

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/17/03 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:

Tomorrow early I'm going to try to find a lighthouse nearby (?) to get some 'rising sun' photos.
Not sure if you will see this by tomorrow morning, but your closest choice would be Bodie Island. Bodie is about 15-20 miles from Nags Head. Currituck is at least 30 miles to the north and taking any sunrise photos with the sun and the lighthouse are nearly impossible given the layout of the land (the light is surrounded by trees).

If you have time, there are a few old LSS in the Nags Head/Kitty Hawk/ Kill Devil Hills area. If you see the book "Outer Banks Architecture" , it has a listing in the back of each station and its current location. Off the top of my head I know that Owens restraunt in Nags Head, the Black Pelican restraunt in Kitty Hawk and the Sanderling reestraunt in Duck are all LSS that have been converted to restraunts.

Hope this helps

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/17/03 04:14 AM

Thanks, Bryan. I got this in time. I will be at Bodie at 7 am. And I ate at Owens tonight -- and took a photo of it, thinking "gee this looks like an old LSS"!!!!

John

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/17/03 04:17 AM

And... Heerrree's Bonniebert:

Joyce is showing off her purchase of Lighthouse Stickers, a passport and Journal. I think she's the first individual to buy Lighthouse Stickers! An historic moment!

Well wait. I think the first people to actually buy Lighthouse Stickers were Laurie Roe, Bryan Acree and Ken Reese when they INSISTED at the Fire Island Lighthouse that they wanted to BUY stickers -- and the guy behind the counter didn't know what they were and had to get the manager. The manager had some freebie samples I had sent to him and the three WACKOs went together and bought a strip of three stickers to divide amongs themselves after the Long Island regional. (Sorry Joyce. You're the first to buy stickers by the handful!! And the VERY FIRST to buy an American Lighthouse Passport! ALF will be happy. I've got about 50 Passports and 25 journals to sell this weekend.

And here's the Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts store in Nag's head:

Maybe I can talk the owners Maureen and Greg into selling them tomorrow!
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/17/03 04:41 AM

Hi John...I wish I was there. My son is in Williamsburg to be in his friends wedding party. I should have tagged along with him and dropped down to the Outer Banks. smile

I have one little correction to make:

I wanted to buy an American Lighthouse Passport while I was in NY but you said they weren't quite ready. You were right on Ken, Bryan, and I buying the first stickers at Fire Island! wink
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/17/03 01:56 PM

John-If your looking for LSS's, there are two on the north Banks.

1) The Life Saving Station restaurant at the Sanderling is an old LSS.

2) Near CBL, the Twiddy offices are housed in an old LSS. But this area has me confused. Everyone says it belongs to Twiddy, but last I was there, it was a boutique shop. The one I think is the LSS is next to 12 on the west side, Twiddy is a little further off the road.

Of course, you may be busy today (posting on a 56k eek :rolleyes: )
Posted By: Chesapeake Bryan

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/17/03 02:06 PM

The first building in the Twiddy complex of builings is the LSS. It is owned by Mr. Twiddy, who also owns the old coast guard station in the 4 wheel drive area. It was a little shop about 1 1/2 years ago, but has since been turned back into Twiddy offices.

This is the old Kill Devil Hills Station. This station is fairly famous because one of its surfmen was the person who took the famous picture of the Wright brothers first flight.
Posted By: SandySea

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/17/03 02:34 PM

It's not too late to head to OBX! I've been here since Sunday - 90% sunny clear weather in the 70s - showers predicted for overnight tonight and DRY and cooler (60s) for the Saturday celebration! Spent a great afternoon at the Roanoke Island Festival Park in Manteo - excellent exhibits including a replica of Roanoke Marshes lighthouse - and the Outer Banks History Center - and costumed living history actors to take you back to 1585. Come on down - the party starts at 5 pm tonight at Lighthouse Gallery and Gifts!
Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/17/03 04:34 PM

Hey John, sounds like you are having a great time! Be sure to post some cool pictures of that sunrise and the celebration!

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/17/03 10:38 PM

This is going to be a day to run into a lot of old friends!

I started off before Sunrise at Bodie Island (Gary Martin would be proud of me!)...

I was at Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts at 10 AM and ran into Bruce and Cheryl.

I then headed up to Currituck Beach Lighthouse and will post my photos of that in another thread. I had a nice long talk with Jenn Barr, Executive Director and Site Manager for the OBC.

Sandy - see you tonight at the shindig up the road a few miles!
Posted By: Larry

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/20/03 12:14 AM

Cha-ching! I see at least one nickle coming my way! laugh

John, what happened on that restaraunt picture? confused

Bryan & Seagirt, thanks for the LSS heads-ups.

Re: Visit To Virginia and Outer Banks Oct 2003 - 10/20/03 03:56 AM

Here you go, Larry.

© 2024 Collector Forums